Author Topic: Frum Jews assaulted on UA 1786 yesterday at LAX  (Read 6120 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Frum Jews assaulted on UA 1786 yesterday at LAX
« on: September 04, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »
A friend reached out with a crazy story that just happaned to him.

He was on a plane at LAX, a person sitting close to his family had a dog on the plane which scared his daughter, he asked the FA what their dog policy is, to which they were told the dog has to stay in it's case under the seat, which the FA then asked the lady to do.

The lady proceeded to curse for 15min with many many 4 leters words and a spattering on Jews thrown in as well.

The FA had the phone in the back of the plane off for the pilot to hear what was going on and they returned to the gate.

As they were returning the lady was getting more and more aggetated to the point that as assulted my friend and his daughter as well.

She also kicked the FA and fought with security getting off.

The whole time back to the gate though the FA's just stood in the galley and didn't stay to inervene or protect the jewish family, even as she threw out curses about Jews.

What should happen from here? There are videos of her cursing, many other pax were videoing as well, but don't have those.

Is UA at fault for not staying there to protect the family or moving her away?

Looking for advise on what his next steps should be, UA executive resolutions already reached out, but they didn't speak yet.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 01:10:54 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Frum Jews assaulted on UA 1786 yesterday at LAX
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 01:45:34 PM »
I think by returning to gate they did their duty (at least according to UA) what else should FA's do? hold down the beliggerent pax? they definitely dont want another Dr Dao situation.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »
Just food for thought i am not saying any of this as definite:
What are the flight attendants authorized to do in such a situation ,they are not police what more could they have done ?
 Was your friend able to distance himself ?
 If she kicked at the fa and security she is a regular nutjob who was screaming anti -Semitic slurs ,is it smart  for jews to start complaining to united (or possibly to see how they can benefit from the situation ) when the plane was sent back to the gate and security was called (even if they could have done better)
I wasn't there and maybe they showed they didn't care enough to stand between them, these are just suggestions

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
Sounds like the physical assault occurred after returning to the gate with security personnel on board. The FAs are not there to physically restrain passengers, if she was assaulting anyone passengers would/should have joined FAs to restrain her. As long as it was verbal assault the FAs may have assumed (correctly, IMHO) that confronting her or trying to quiet her would escalate the situation.

They enforced their pet rules and returned to the gate when a passenger became unruly. What more should they have done?

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
The unruly pax should be put on do not fly lists. Or is that only for masks?

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 08:19:37 PM »
A friend reached out with a crazy story that just happaned to him.

He was on a plane at LAX, a person sitting close to his family had a dog on the plane which scared his daughter, he asked the FA what their dog policy is, to which they were told the dog has to stay in it's case under the seat, which the FA then asked the lady to do.

The lady proceeded to curse for 15min with many many 4 leters words and a spattering on Jews thrown in as well.

The FA had the phone in the back of the plane off for the pilot to hear what was going on and they returned to the gate.

As they were returning the lady was getting more and more aggetated to the point that as assulted my friend and his daughter as well.

She also kicked the FA and fought with security getting off.

The whole time back to the gate though the FA's just stood in the galley and didn't stay to inervene or protect the jewish family, even as she threw out curses about Jews.

What should happen from here? There are videos of her cursing, many other pax were videoing as well, but don't have those.

Is UA at fault for not staying there to protect the family or moving her away?

Looking for advise on what his next steps should be, UA executive resolutions already reached out, but they didn't speak yet.
When you say "assult" what exactly do you mean? I only ask because that term tends to get tossed around as hyperbole, and when one describes the specific nature of the assult on the FA but leaves it out for the family it makes one suspect such hyperbole.

That said, an unarmed, untrained FA is absolutely not responsible for physically restraining a crazy passenger and it is frankly ridiculous to criticize them for not doing something that they're neither trained, capable, or probably even allowed to do. Your friend experienced an unfortunate event of a woman who was clearly mentally ill. To try to extort United for that when they took the most expeditious attempts to solve it is unconscionable. To claim United is in any way responsible for someone else's antisemitism is worse than unconscionable. Had I been present I would have done my utmost to protect your friend and their family and without a doubt it is not something anyone should have to go through. But it helps no-one to try to blame anyone but the woman who was behaving so horribly.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 08:22:38 PM by Sig »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 08:24:39 PM »
To be fair, a flight attendant is responsible for the safety of passengers, and this is arguably their biggest responsibility (more than serving meals or selling earbuds/blankets).

I agree that United isn’t responsible for another persons insanity, but for starters they can add that passenger to a no-fly list.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 09:19:51 PM »
i would say enforcing the rule , letting the pilot know and returning to gate to remove passenger is a pretty good response although i do agree its terrible and still shocking that everyone just sat in silence but i honestly don't expect anyone to stand up for Jews 

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 09:37:53 PM »
Wow, just watched some of the video.

Very frightening language. Very intense.

Assault did happen when security was getting on board, the lady pulled out her iPad and said she was recording the family so she can come after them in Cleveland.

But there was 15 minutes of crazy horrible verbal assault (completely one sided).

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 09:59:24 PM »
Can you post any of the video?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 10:05:16 PM »
Can you post any of the video?
How much bleach do you own? It's 30 minutes of f-bombs and curses.
The belligerent passengers physically hit the rebbi and his daughter.

There were 20 empty seats on the flight. I have no idea why the FAs didn't move people around.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 10:27:32 PM »

There were 20 empty seats on the flight. I have no idea why the FAs didn't move people around.
I would probably just watch it without sound, tbh, that's what I usually do with these types of things. More just to see the confrontation.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 10:36:25 PM »

Tourette syndrome?  Symptoms can include uncontrollable swearing. 

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 10:47:10 PM »
To be fair, a flight attendant is responsible for the safety of passengers, and this is arguably their biggest responsibility (more than serving meals or selling earbuds/blankets).
Do FAs have any training in self defense or in how to restrain someone? (Asking honestly- I have no idea.) And if they do try to restrain a passenger and then accidentally injure that person in the process are they going to be dragged through a lawsuit, potentially lose their job, and risk criminal charges?

If they don't have the skills and have so much to risk by stepping in then even if they're technically responsible for passengers' safety they're not exactly set up to do much. There's always duck tape though...

In this particular case did other passengers intervene (verbally) during the 15 minutes of verbal attacks?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 11:05:39 PM »
Tourette syndrome?  Symptoms can include uncontrollable swearing.

When someone swears at (and hits) someone during a confrontation it ain’t Tourette’s. This is like wondering if a rape happened because he tripped and she fell.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:17:20 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 11:10:29 PM »
This is like wondering if a rape happened because he tripped and she fell.
AKA Mukas Eitz Ani 🙈

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2022, 11:11:04 PM »
I can’t imagine UA advising FA’s to physically detain an unruly passenger. They have security for a reason. This is the same state where stores don’t even allow security to go after a shoplifter.
Visibly Jewish

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2022, 11:30:37 PM »
When someone swears at (and hits) someone during a confrontation it ain’t Tourette’s. This is like wondering if a rape happened because he tripped and she fell.
From the description, it sounds like this wasn't swearing during a confrontation but rather a confrontation followed by "30 minutes of f-bombs and curses" which sounds like some kind of mental health issue.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2022, 11:35:17 PM »
From the description, it sounds like this wasn't swearing during a confrontation but rather a confrontation followed by "30 minutes of f-bombs and curses" which sounds like some kind of mental health issue.
Not sure there is a disclaimer big enough for this. I only watched 20 seconds and it was too much for me. I heard her say she will just take the time (jail) and come over there and $*#^ someone up.

But if anyone really wants to watch it, gets intense last 15 minutes.

DISCLAIMER LANGUAGE AND DISTURBING AUDIO:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5d3v71cqp7yskk/UNITED%20LAX%20CLE%20SEPT%203%202022%20ASSAULT.MOV?dl=0

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2022, 11:51:51 PM »
Terrible