Author Topic: Frum Jews assaulted on UA 1786 yesterday at LAX  (Read 6101 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Frum Jews assaulted on UA 1786 yesterday at LAX
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
You didn't misread, I said I thought sharing the video was voyeuristic, but seeing your compromise, I think that's fair.

I think they likely wanted to get back to the gate without escalating from verbal assault to physical assault, and may have thought that moving seats or confronting would do more harm than good.

Might be Intresting to hear what the flight crew told ATC.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
This was a nutcase. Them being Jews or "Frum Jews" as the title says adds nothing to the story. They could have been Irish and the exact same thing would have happened.
This doesn’t happen to regular people although I know you claim it does. If you’ve ever seen videos where people spend half an hour cursing non-minorities out as “weirdos” who they “see on Facebook” and “know where all the Jews live” then by all means post your evidence. (Yes, other minorities are subjected to special treatment as well.)

Why do you insist Jews’ experience is no worse than that of other Americans? It’s just not true. Jews, especially the Orthodox, are subjected to extra abuse in any “heated” situation they find themselves in.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2022, 10:44:54 AM »
“know where all the Jews live”
She did correct identify the neighborhood where he lives and works and said she would go after him there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2022, 10:49:30 AM »
She did correct identify the neighborhood where he lives and works and said she would go after him there.
This happened to the director of an organization that has its own discussion thread in the GD board?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2022, 10:50:32 AM »
I am not saying people don’t get threatened and cursed out all the time. I’m saying Jews are singled out for extra special treatment.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »
This doesn’t happen to regular people although I know you claim it does. If you’ve ever seen videos where people spend half an hour cursing non-minorities out as “weirdos” who they “see on Facebook” and “know where all the Jews live” then by all means post your evidence. (Yes, other minorities are subjected to special treatment as well.)

Why do you insist Jews’ experience is no worse than that of other Americans? It’s just not true. Jews, especially the Orthodox, are subjected to extra abuse in any “heated” situation they find themselves in.
Did you miss all the white/redneck slurs? If they were Chinese, it would have been Chinese slurs.
This happens all the time. Next time you are in Chicago I will take you to the east side. We can both experience slurs and worse.  ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »
Did you miss all the white/redneck slurs? If they were Chinese, it would have been Chinese slurs.
I agree. Chinese are also subjected to harassment. Yeah they were also yelled at for being white but that is more run of the mill Black/White material (remember, we get that too). Doesn’t mean they didn’t get a fat dollop of extra for being Jewish.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2022, 11:11:34 AM »
This happens all the time. Next time you are in Chicago I will take you to the east side. We can both experience slurs and worse.  ;)
My mother is from Chicago. Growing up her shul had the windows smashed in numerous times. Did that happen to your church?

I’m not saying you won’t face harassment, but a buck says I’ll get it worse than you.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2022, 11:13:17 AM »
Good to hear, though hard to undestand why they didn't move them.
He called me to geniunly ask what he should do.
What would he do if someone had assaulted him in that way elsewhere?  Let's say, while sitting in a public library?  After the police were called and removed the person, would they press charges, or just move on?  Were they hurt so badly that they needed medical care? Do they feel so traumatized that they would seek therapy?  Just some questions to think about.

I don't think he is looking to accomplish anything specifically right now, just find out what other people think of his situation he's in now, which I think is a perfectly level headed and reasonable thing to do after going through a terrible trauma.
I would sympathize.  Ask how the rest of the trip went.

The police also offered him if he wants to press charges for the assult. He declined at the time, but that avenue is open as well.
Does the fact that they asked him, rather than just deciding to arrest her themselves, mean that they don't think it's necessarily going to lead to significant follow through? 
Think there is any chance these people actually hunt them down and look for their home, should they be worried about that?
I think this is something they might ask the airline what they and others have done in such cases - certainly not the first time a stranger has assaulted another passenger.  Also ask the police whether they think that's a reasonable worry.  My naive guess is that not pressing charges would make it more likely that she'll forget about this incident more quickly.

Also, I would recommend removing the video, since it might help her to locate the victim if she were charged and seriously motivated to find them.

Online Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2022, 11:59:34 AM »
There are many reasons to go after a perpetrator:
1) To get justice (right the wrong)
2) To get over the trauma on an emotional level
3) To get money to help pay for therapy/bills incurred (monetary compensation)
4) To make the perp pay for his actions (justice)
5) To prevent the perp from doing it again
6) To prevent copycats (who may see the clip) or others from doing the same thing

Even if one doesn't need the money there are other reasons to go after the perp.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »
ATC audio: https://i.dansdeals.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/05123257/03SEP-UA1786-edited.mp3
HT: @Chaikel via liveatc.net
To save others time, at the 0:52 mark "we'll just need to hold for a moment, we are just dealing with a passanger issue it looks like" and a minute later "looks like we'll need to go back to the gate" the rest of the recording is just standard back and forth finding them a gate.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
To save others time, at the 0:52 mark "we'll just need to hold for a moment, we are just dealing with a passanger issue it looks like" and a minute later "looks like we'll need to go back to the gate" the rest of the recording is just standard back and forth finding them a gate.
Yup, shortened from 32 minutes real time to 3 minutes by @Chaikel.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »
To be fair, a flight attendant is responsible for the safety of passengers, and this is arguably their biggest responsibility (more than serving meals or selling earbuds/blankets).

I agree that United isn’t responsible for another persons insanity, but for starters they can add that passenger to a no-fly list.
That's not actually a fair statement at all. Flight attendants are responsible for passenger safety in aircraft mishaps per FAA regulations. They go through detailed training in how to conduct an aircraft evacuation, they even have simulators for over water evacuations. They do not have the responsibility to physically restrain unruly passengers nor do they receive training in it. So it is decidedly unfair to expect them to physically intervene, in any situation but especially one where they face bodily injury just to stop a clearly mentally ill passenger verbally "assaulting" another passenger.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2022, 08:35:26 PM »
That's not actually a fair statement at all. Flight attendants are responsible for passenger safety in aircraft mishaps per FAA regulations. They go through detailed training in how to conduct an aircraft evacuation, they even have simulators for over water evacuations. They do not have the responsibility to physically restrain unruly passengers nor do they receive training in it. So it is decidedly unfair to expect them to physically intervene, in any situation but especially one where they face bodily injury just to stop a clearly mentally ill passenger verbally "assaulting" another passenger.

So you’re saying they’re only responsible for the safety of passengers w/r/t the aviation angle of things? What about hijackings? I’m not suggesting this was a hijacking but I thought their safety mandate/responsibility and their training for that was broader and I might very well be mistaken, please correct me if I’m wrong.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2022, 09:36:53 PM »
There are a ton of these videos that go online every day. There are massive sub reddits dedicated to this genre.

I haven't watched the video here, but I'm like 99% sure there is a video of this incident on the front page of reddit today

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2022, 09:41:38 PM »
I haven't watched the video here, but I'm like 99% sure there is a video of this incident on the front page of reddit today
That's it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/trashy/comments/x7m3dm/trashy_family_gets_kicked_off_the_plane_proceeds/
NSFW language.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2022, 11:03:53 PM »
Statement from UA,

"United flight 1786 from Los Angeles to Cleveland returned to the gate due to a passenger disturbance. Law enforcement officers met the aircraft at the gate and the flight safely departed after a 55-minute delay."

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2022, 11:11:39 PM »
Statement from UA,

"United flight 1786 from Los Angeles to Cleveland returned to the gate due to a passenger disturbance. Law enforcement officers met the aircraft at the gate and the flight safely departed after a 55-minute delay."
Were they placed on a do not fly list?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2022, 11:18:49 PM »
I asked that, but that's all they were willing to say.