Author Topic: What American home design aspects to put in new construction Israel home?  (Read 18824 times)

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi, yes it's true I haven't been updating here, basically for very practical reasons.  There is a massive amount of bureaucracy, and believe it or not, our blueprints were finally submitted to the municipality for approval less than a month ago!!!  Now the clock is ticking and final approval to build could take up to 9 months  :o

A lot of the suggestions/ideas weren't really applicable to this stage of the process, which pretty much focuses on the physical structure (i.e. "4 walls and a roof").  All the cool little upgrades and creature comfort additions aren't part of the building permit process, and can be built/implemented as we go, once we start building.

So unfortunately, this thread is pretty much on the backburner until we start to actually build and our focus shifts back to interior comforts vs. the current focus on exterior physical structure.

On a positive note, they started to install EV chargers in the parking lot closest to where the house will be (as a reminder, this is on a kibbutz so we will not have a driveway)!

I don't know where you're building (e.g. what part of the country) but some things to think about when they build the sheled:
- Insulated blokim (ytong or other brand), it's not that much more expensive
- add insulation as a foam spray when they put up the concrete
- think about what type of a/c you want to put in now as it can affect where they put the hachanot (e.g. vrf vs mini vs unit for every room)
- electricity - good idea to figure out where you need 3 phase outlets now as opposed to when you're done with the gmar and realize you need it for something and now you have to redrill (ask me how I know)
American Boiler (instead of dud shemesh/chashmal) so that there is always hot water available.

An American boiler requires a gas hookup and would cost a fortune here, and would also require a totally different type of plumbing. The Israeli equivalent is a gas powered system hooked up to the line that provides on demand hot water. The cheaper option is either getting a smart plug for the dud or just putting it on a timer in the winter.

LOL!
We designed, got approval, built, and moved in that timeframe  ;D
Welcome to Israel! House has to be approved by the local planning committee for the area, and the resolution that the planning boards get down to on the houses is kind of ridiculous; neighbors can file against it if they think their rights are affected; the antiquities authority has to give their approval  (and good luck if they find antiquities where you're building).. It just takes forever, and then the actual building can take a long time

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
For all interested:
https://streamable.com/c3b718

Looks very nice ka”h, hope the approval process goes smoothly.

Some thoughts:
- Love the kitchen and all the big windows.
- No bathroom on the first floor? (Or maybe it’s tucked away in a corner and not visible)
- Closets? Storage under the stairwell?
- Where do boilers/utility stuff go?
- Any awnings?
- The upstairs looks pretty small, how many bedrooms are in the plans.
- The open lr/dr/kitchen plan is great but also means any mess (e.g. kitchen/toys) is visible.
- I take it you don’t have a lot of books/seforim?

(These questions are rhetorical, they’re thoughts)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My SIL installed over her sinks in Brooklyn.

I’d install my shvigger over the sink, for easy dishwashing ofc

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Looks very nice ka”h, hope the approval process goes smoothly.

Some thoughts:
- Love the kitchen and all the big windows.
- No bathroom on the first floor? (Or maybe it’s tucked away in a corner and not visible)
- Closets? Storage under the stairwell?
- Where do boilers/utility stuff go?
- Any awnings?
- The upstairs looks pretty small, how many bedrooms are in the plans.
- The open lr/dr/kitchen plan is great but also means any mess (e.g. kitchen/toys) is visible.
- I take it you don’t have a lot of books/seforim?

(These questions are rhetorical, they’re thoughts)

Not the op.. most israeli technical stuff goes up on the roof (solar powered water heater aka dud shemesh, aircon units).

Open plan is vast majority of new israeli builds

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
I know nothing about any of this, but I can say that it should be with mazal and beracha.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
For all interested:
https://streamable.com/c3b718

The interior design elements are for illustration only, we haven't actually made any decisions yet.  The exterior is mostly the same as what is going through the approval process, except the small door leading outside from the living room has been changed to a window (since we have the large exit, no real need for another door...).  Also, there were some changes made to the decorative stone siding.  Besides that, a little hard to tell, but almost the entire outside area upstairs is actually one big wrap-around balcony.   The lack of windows on part of the house is because those are safe rooms (upstairs and downstairs), not an oversight.
Most Mamadim have windows. I actually think it's a requirement. Is the downstairs really a saferoom or just built also out of reinforced concrete because the bedroom on the second floor is actually the mamad? If that's the case it should also have windows

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I don't know where you're building (e.g. what part of the country) but some things to think about when they build the sheled:
- Insulated blokim (ytong or other brand), it's not that much more expensive
- add insulation as a foam spray when they put up the concrete
- think about what type of a/c you want to put in now as it can affect where they put the hachanot (e.g. vrf vs mini vs unit for every room)
- electricity - good idea to figure out where you need 3 phase outlets now as opposed to when you're done with the gmar and realize you need it for something and now you have to redrill (ask me how I know)

Thanks, really appreciate insights like these that aren't obvious.  For the first 2 points (blokim and foam insulation), would you be able to write what it would be in Hebrew, for example (just a wild guess about the blokim since I don't know the technical term in Hebrew): תבקש בלוקים עם חומר בידוד / בלוקים מבודדים.  The 3rd/4th points are very clear and I am already familiar with the proper technical terms in Hebrew to discuss them.

So... curious what you needed the 3 phase for?  ;D

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
I’d install my shvigger over the sink, for easy dishwashing ofc
Who wants a “Shviger” looking in your kitchen??
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Also, there were some changes made to the decorative stone siding.
Don't know if this is what you mean, but the transition between the stone and stucoo? looks great on the side where it's bumped out. On the side where it's flush, not so much.

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks, really appreciate insights like these that aren't obvious.  For the first 2 points (blokim and foam insulation), would you be able to write what it would be in Hebrew, for example (just a wild guess about the blokim since I don't know the technical term in Hebrew): תבקש בלוקים עם חומר בידוד / בלוקים מבודדים.  The 3rd/4th points are very clear and I am already familiar with the proper technical terms in Hebrew to discuss them.

So... curious what you needed the 3 phase for?  ;D
בלוקים מבודדים - https://www.bonimbayit.co.il/block/
In general the whole bonim bayit community is supposed to be very good; I didn't build from scratch.
The foam insulation is not that well known here it would be something like ספריי לבידוד ביטון

How are you building? קבלן מפתח? מפקח בנייה? Drop me a DM if I can help

three phase example: induction stove requires three phase.. Also depends on what air conditionings you want to do - the big ones require a direct hook up to three phase via a packet on the roof (packet is the israeli word, it's a fireman's switch or emergency shut off), the smaller ones can be hooked up via the electrical outlets.. Although apparently hevrat hashmal when they do an inspection want everything hooked up to a packet even though the law doesn't necessarily require it.

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I don't know why i didn't thing of this earlier, but an american toilet is a must!
like one with a large surface area of water at the buttom, not a tiny circle

It took me years to figure out why the toilets in EY get filthy at such a quicker rate than the one in the US...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't know why i didn't thing of this earlier, but an american toilet is a must!
like one with a large surface area of water at the buttom, not a tiny circle

It took me years to figure out why the toilets in EY get filthy at such a quicker rate than the one in the US...

Perhaps this has to do with how much water the toilet uses?

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Perhaps this has to do with how much water the toilet uses?
The news ones (unfortunately) use very little. I think the European style is more widespread to have the two buttons and Americans just press both because they're "not sure".
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The news ones (unfortunately) use very little. I think the European style is more widespread to have the two buttons and Americans just press both because they're "not sure".

I’m talking about the toilet overall, not just the two flush buttons. But yes, toilets that might be engineered to use less water are also more likely to have a half-flush option.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
I’m talking about the toilet overall, not just the two flush buttons. But yes, toilets that might be engineered to use less water are also more likely to have a half-flush option.
On the contrary the toilet in America with one flush uses very little water these days. In Europe I find most have two options and they both use more water. It's often hard to tell a difference between the two.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
On the contrary the toilet in America with one flush uses very little water these days. In Europe I find most have two options and they both use more water. It's often hard to tell a difference between the two.
A plumber told me they aren't always hooked up correctly. Some shoddy workers just make both buttons do the same thing.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

If this is factual then Europe should use our toilets.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
If this is factual then Europe should use our toilets.
You'll find yourself with a plunger way to often
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
Speaking of toilets and water efficiently, why don't most people install urinals in private homes?

It also avoids the whole seat up/seat down Shalom Bayis fight 8)

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
Speaking of toilets and water efficiently, why don't most people install urinals in private homes?

It also avoids the whole seat up/seat down Shalom Bayis fight 8)
Urinals make a mess (just look at the floor under any Urinal) and always stinks
I’m in shape, round is a shape…