Author Topic: Manalapan Kosher Chinese Express Owner Buying Non-Kosher Chicken  (Read 108604 times)

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Manalapan Kosher Chinese Express Owner Buying Non-Kosher Chicken
« Reply #1880 on: December 06, 2022, 11:50:30 PM »
From Bergen County Local News:

Oh boy. This thing is here for your job and you’re going to be all over it for the next little bit.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1881 on: December 06, 2022, 11:52:07 PM »
I got to the part where the menu didn't indicate which dishes were kosher
I got to pork and shellfish
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1882 on: December 07, 2022, 12:02:32 AM »
I started wondering on the second line
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 07, 2022, 11:55:30 PM »
From Bergen County Local News:

In a shocking discovery, a local restaurant has been found to be serving treifeh food. Treifeh, which means "not kosher" in Hebrew, is food that does not adhere to the strict dietary laws of Judaism.

According to sources, the restaurant, which has not been named, was serving a variety of dishes made with non-kosher ingredients, including pork and shellfish. These ingredients are strictly prohibited in kosher cuisine.

The discovery was made by a group of patrons who noticed that the restaurant's menu did not indicate which dishes were kosher and which were not. Upon questioning the staff, they were shocked to learn that many of the dishes on the menu were not kosher.

The restaurant has since been shut down by health officials, and an investigation is currently underway. The owners of the restaurant could face criminal charges for knowingly serving treifeh food.

This incident has sparked outrage among members of the local Jewish community, who are calling for stricter enforcement of kosher laws at restaurants. Many are urging people to only patronize restaurants that are certified kosher.

This is a developing story, and we will provide more information as it becomes available.

Wondering how much of this did you read before realizing that it was completely generated by this, and I invented the name of the news outlet at the onset of this post.
I just thought it was lousy reporting. Things didn't add up.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: December 08, 2022, 02:40:18 PM »
it has "AI voice"

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 15, 2023, 04:50:46 PM »
Not sure if this was discussed upthread, or if anyone here would know (maybe @moko as you seem to be the local hecsher industry correspondent?).

Unverified - I heard over Shabbos that some hecsherim may have access to businesses camera system for live feed, but the owner owns the system and hechsher may not have access to past footage. Is there any truth to this?

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 15, 2023, 04:58:27 PM »
Not sure if this was discussed upthread, or if anyone here would know (maybe @moko as you seem to be the local hecsher industry correspondent?).

Unverified - I heard over Shabbos that some hecsherim may have access to businesses camera system for live feed, but the owner owns the system and hechsher may not have access to past footage. Is there any truth to this?
in Lakewood in a place I’m involved with KCl has full access including playback

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 15, 2023, 05:01:49 PM »
in Lakewood in a place I’m involved with KCl has full access including playback

Because KCL owns the system/have their own server backing it up/demand it as part of requirements for hechsher or because the owner gives it on his own?

Meaning can an owner just decide to say sorry it's not available anymore or they can always see past footage no matter what?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 15, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »

that depends on what was set up. If you have admin access, and there's a cloud or onsite storage system, you'll have access.
In general, it's ideal to move toward one system for all locations. We (and others)  have found Wyze to be the ideal plug and play for a variety of reasons. It allows for better grouping and sharing than systems like ring or nest. KOF K did a great presentation on Wyze cameras and alarm systems.
Obviously, having a global  hard wired system that you control  for all your locations is best, but that can cost 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars, depending on how many locations.
Full disclosure: while we're moving towards Wyze for all locations (Black Friday Home Depot deal 2/$30 we purchased 96 cameras)
This assumes all Kashrus organizations have cameras at all locations. That is definitely not the case.

While remote monitoring of locations and mashgichim is great, I believe the primary and critical reason for cameras is playback when something goes wrong.
While we were going to charge each proprietor for the system, I believe we're not going to do that so we maintain complete ownership over the hardware and control over playback.
One of the nice features of the wyze is that you can give camera specific or group of camera specific access to different individuals
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:10:57 PM by moko »

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 15, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
that depends on what was set up. If you have admin access, and there's a cloud or onsite storage system, you'll have access.
In general, it's ideal to move toward one system for all locations. We (and others)  have found Wyze to be the ideal plug and play for a variety of reasons. It allows for better grouping and sharing than systems like ring or nest.
Obviously, having a global  hard wired system that you control  for all your locations is best.

So hechsherim may not necessarily be able to go back and determine what exactly happened?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: January 15, 2023, 05:11:17 PM »
So hechsherim may not necessarily be able to go back and determine what exactly happened?

I don't think there is any way that anyone can guarantee one way or the other for every single hachsher.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 15, 2023, 05:11:54 PM »
obviously that kind of defeats a (the?) Primary purpose of cameras

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 15, 2023, 05:12:16 PM »
I don't think there is any way that anyone can guarantee one way or the other for every single hachsher.
☝️

I would add, that there are great ideas being shared between agencies on a constant basis in this (and many other) arenas but if someone is out to cheat, they'll cheat. Unless your will to make employees work in underwear and complete body search upon arrival at work, a cheater can cheat.
The main difference is that a vigilant hashgacha and siyata dishmaya, you'll catch it fairly early on.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:15:49 PM by moko »

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 15, 2023, 05:16:46 PM »

For sure.

I'm just curious if there's an "industry standard", as if situations arise (as they have in the past) I'm sure everyone can see the value in being able to go back and review the tape.

obviously that kind of defeats a (the?) Primary purpose of cameras

I know very little about the industry/halachos, I imagine the primary purpose to be like a mashgiach, but there is a huge added benefit to being able to go back and review the tapes no?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 15, 2023, 05:28:31 PM »
For sure.

I'm just curious if there's an "industry standard", as if situations arise (as they have in the past) I'm sure everyone can see the value in being able to go back and review the tape.

I know very little about the industry/halachos, I imagine the primary purpose to be like a mashgiach, but there is a huge added benefit to being able to go back and review the tapes no?
there very few (no?) scenarios where cameras are replacing mashgichim. They're supplementing hashgacha.
Unfortunately, history has shown that there's not much mirsas from cameras
We use cameras in one scenario which is scheduled to avoid needing a Mashgiach for a half hour+5 hours of driving. Obviously you need some way of doing remote choisamos. Think wifi lock or similar

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 15, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »
there very few (no?) scenarios where cameras are replacing mashgichim. They're supplementing hashgacha.
Unfortunately, history has shown that there's not much mirsas from cameras
We use cameras in one scenario which is scheduled to avoid needing a Mashgiach for a half hour+5 hours of driving. Obviously you need some way of doing remote choisamos. Think wifi lock or similar

Thanks for clarifying. Guess I'm thinking of (on further thought what is) a rarer situation where some issue or question regarding the establishment was raised and they want to go back and confirm what exactly happened. I wasn't thinking of replacing mashgichim, just an additional tool that might be helpful in certain scenarios.

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: April 28, 2023, 04:50:56 PM »
i know this thread has been dead for a while....
is there a post-game wrap-up on what happened to the owner of the restaurant?
was he fined or made accountable in any way? i tried searching up-thread, but 95 pages!!

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: April 28, 2023, 04:53:22 PM »
i know this thread has been dead for a while....
is there a post-game wrap-up on what happened to the owner of the restaurant?
was he fined or made accountable in any way? i tried searching up-thread, but 95 pages!!
Who can fine him or what can can be done to 'hold him accountable'? The Hashgacha was pulled and the store is closed.

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #1898 on: April 28, 2023, 04:56:58 PM »
but 95 pages!!
Profile > Account Settings > Look and Layout > Messages to display per page > 50.

You're welcome :D.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: April 28, 2023, 05:10:17 PM »
Who can fine him or what can can be done to 'hold him accountable'? The Hashgacha was pulled and the store is closed.
The state can enforce his false claims.