Author Topic: NY Times vs. Chassidim  (Read 127572 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
There are various programs designed to combat hunger.  The question here is not whether these children need and deserve help getting food, but whether they should get that help from a fund that's specifically meant for children attending a school that meets certain educational standards.
Source?

That was an off-the-cuff comment, which I didn't research.  Now that I researched it, I'm not sure.  It seems to be a federal (USDA) program that's administered through the states, with the states sending the money to the programs in public and private schools.  So I assume that if a state believes that a particular yeshiva doesn't meet the educational standards for private schools, then it also would not be eligible for the school meals programs.  However, I can't easily find anything on how to determine whether a school is eligible or not.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

If the school accepts any state/gov funds, then there should be rules they must follow!!!

Who said they aren't following the rules for these programs?

Or are you arguing that the rules should be changed and the funding for school lunches should be dependent on what is being taught?

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Who said they aren't following the rules for these programs?

Or are you arguing that the rules should be changed and the funding for school lunches should be dependent on what is being taught?
I was asked what I thought, and I gave it.
I have no idea if rules are be followed or not.
By rules I mean any rules they have.
By funds I mean any funds the school receives. 
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline biobook

• View Profile
The state agency that deals with this is NYSED. http://www.cn.nysed.gov/breakfast-program

So if NYSED determines (in 2024) that a particular yeshiva doesn't meet the standards of a private school providing substantially equivalent education, then I expect that it would also not be eligible to receive funds for providing breakfast and lunch.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
The state agency that deals with this is NYSED. http://www.cn.nysed.gov/breakfast-program

So if NYSED determines (in 2024) that a particular yeshiva doesn't meet the standards of a private school providing substantially equivalent education, then I expect that it would also not be eligible to receive funds for providing breakfast and lunch.
You want their money then follow their rules.

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
You want their money then follow their rules.
Its actually our money, that we pay in school taxes.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Its actually our money, that we pay in school taxes.
You mean money I am paying with no kids in school?  :)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Very nice article.
 @biobook What say you?
Okay, since you asked, and Dan linked to the formatted article, here's what I say:

The New York Times has assigned two reporters to dig up dirt on chasidic yeshivas

Had he written "The New York Times has assigned two reporters to dig up dirt on investigate chasidic yeshivas", I would have continued to read with an open mind, but I know now from the start that he's coming with a bias and derogatory opinion of the article.

...timed, it seems, to coincide with the Board of Regents’ consideration of intrusive new regulations of yeshivas.

This is probably true, though it may also be timed to coincide with the first day of school, since the BoR meeting agenda was announced just a few days ago.  So what?  Timing is important in media - They publish honey cake recipes to coincide with Rosh Hashana.

You will also see children laughing and playing, and families walking together. Here is what you won’t see: crime, graffiti, gangs, homelessness, drugs, and violence.
I don't think the writer realizes how offensive this attitude sounds to others. Most non-frum areas of NY State aren't riddled with crime, and this doesn't seem relevant to issue at hand.

Self-funding the education of their children while paying taxes, instead of sending them to the local, free public school, meant forgoing luxuries — and even some necessities — for a higher purpose.

This has been true of religious parents for a long time, including the decades before Holocaust, yet those parents send their children to yeshivas that teach English and other secular studies.

This op-ed article is based on that summary,

I'd much rather hear what he has to say after he's read the article, rather than based on what he speculates it will say.

The Times will allege that textbooks are “censored” — although what they really mean is that chasidic schools choose to utilize books that accord with the values of the parents who exercised their constitutional right to choose yeshiva education for their children.
Yes, it's not a good look to read that "Secular textbooks are censored with black marker to blot out images of girls and pigs..."  In America, this is reminiscent of the time when hotels posted no admission to "Jews and dogs".

The Times is also going to accuse chasidic yeshivas of encouraging families to vote, as if a basic civic duty is scandalous when undertaken by chasidim.

What it said is that parents were told that their kids could get a free trip to Coney Island if the parents vote and turn in the I Voted sticker.  Providing an incentive like this to vote in a federal election is illegal, although it's not generally prosecuted.  But still, why boast about it?

One noted professor who specializes in this educational field described K-12 yeshiva education as “genuinely remarkable ... closely resembling upper-level humanities coursework in a university.” Did the Times even bother to seek to interview him?

From google, this appears to be a Yeshiva University professor, and it's not clear that when he refers to "yeshiva" he's including kindergarten. 

Finally, the Times cherry-picks a sample of schools to paint all yeshivas as lacking educationally.
It paints some yeshivas as lacking.

And don’t expect to read anything about public school performance, absenteeism, or dropout rates.
The NYT has written on those topics in the past.  A newspaper article aims to concentrate on a particular topic, and this one is yeshivas, not public schools. 

...the 2015 Pew Study concluding that a charedi  Jew was three times (24 percent) as likely as the average American (8 percent) to earn $150,000 or more
I've heard this mentioned before, but haven't seen the article.  Anyone know where it is?

Religious Jews also seem to live longer.
Really, now.  Try to keep the focus on education. 

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
I gave a "like" not because I agree or disagree but because that was bold.  :)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Okay, since you asked, and Dan linked to the formatted article, here's what I say.
Thanks for your insight, it is appreciated. I am going to say that I disagree with you here. Simcha is making the point that the NYT is trying to paint Chareidim as money sucking people who don't educate their kids, while he is demonstrating that is false by showing that A. QoL is way higher in frum neighborhoods than in neighborhoods with mostly PS school attendees, B. The education given brings results as demonstrated by earning potentials and overall well being. C. The money spent per pupil (even including all funds) is far less than what NYS spends for PS students (which is not even including those funds) and so on and so forth.

Offline Choshive Yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: JetBlue BLUE BASIC (BASIC ECONOMY), Walmart+ free trial, Amazon prime free trial, Spirit Airlines banned passengers list, Lufthansa Jewish Baseball cap wearer Status,
If the school accepts any state/gov funds, then there should be rules they must follow!!!
I don't think that's the issue at hand. If yeshivos agreed to fund themselves independently, I don't think they would be immune from these rules. (correct me if I am wrong)
koshermyphone.com

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
THIS.IS.GOLD. 

IYKYK

https://twitter.com/litvacitus/status/1568986734402174976

I went back to see what happened to the tweet, and apparently it's "protected". So here goes a screenshot just so it makes some sense.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Okay, since you asked, and Dan linked to the formatted article, here's what I say:

Had he written "The New York Times has assigned two reporters to dig up dirt on investigate chasidic yeshivas", I would have continued to read with an open mind, but I know now from the start that he's coming with a bias and derogatory opinion of the article.
Yes, because the article was utter trash. Just because he speaks negatively towards something he (and I) believe was riddled with one-sided nonsense doesn’t mean you shouldn’t hear him out. This is hardly worthy of discussion, yet you chose this to address.
This is probably true, though it may also be timed to coincide with the first day of school, since the BoR meeting agenda was announced just a few days ago.  So what?  Timing is important in media - They publish honey cake recipes to coincide with Rosh Hashana.
His point was that the piece was likely intended to influence opinion on the eve of a major decision, but is unfair and one-sided. Again, not the point of his article.
I don't think the writer realizes how offensive this attitude sounds to others. Most non-frum areas of NY State aren't riddled with crime, and this doesn't seem relevant to issue at hand.
It’s not offensive, it’s true. Also, the author is a member of the NYC Assembly. As he’s well aware, many (most?) areas of NYC are riddled with crime and Chasidishe neighborhoods are a glaring exception. If the insinuation is that the poor education leads to a life of squalor and lack contribution to society, the character of the communities produced by Yeshivos vs. PS should definitely be factored in.
This has been true of religious parents for a long time, including the decades before Holocaust, yet those parents send their children to yeshivas that teach English and other secular studies.
Objection: Relevance? The point is to rebut the insidious conjecture of the Times; it’s quite the stretch to say we’re stealing from other taxpayers to fund our extravagant private school lifestyle.
I'd much rather hear what he has to say after he's read the article, rather than based on what he speculates it will say.
Fortunately you got to read the article before commenting so why don’t you point out how he was mistaken in his assumptions? I think you’ll find he was spot on.

Yes, it's not a good look to read that "Secular textbooks are censored with black marker to blot out images of girls and pigs..."  In America, this is reminiscent of the time when hotels posted no admission to "Jews and dogs".
Correct, it’s not a good look, and adds to his point precisely because *The NY Times was the party to conjoin girls and pigs*. Looked at with no bias one should certainly be able to understand why a school should have the latitude to determine that their adolescent male students not be required to see pictures of females in various states of undress, no matter how society at large feels about this. The low hanging fruit for the purpose of the article was to show a picture of a crossed out illustration to present their position as exaggerated but surely you’re aware there are pictures in science books which conscientious religious folks may find objectionable. That doesn’t mean women are pigs, it means there may be a variable applicable to both. *

What it said is that parents were told that their kids could get a free trip to Coney Island if the parents vote and turn in the I Voted sticker.  Providing an incentive like this to vote in a federal election is illegal, although it's not generally prosecuted.  But still, why boast about it?
Again, you’re focusing on an unimportant detail but not the crux of what he’s saying. They are portraying the act of voter registration in a pejorative fashion instead of as the virtue it is, feeding the classic anti-Semitic trope of Jewish manipulation and undue political influence. They didn’t appear to allege a crime, that was totally your doing.

From google, this appears to be a Yeshiva University professor, and it's not clear that when he refers to "yeshiva" he's including kindergarten. 
Well, interviewing him could have cleared that up. Did they try? Were they even *pretending* to present a balanced view?

It paints some yeshivas as lacking.
Nope, it paints *all* Yeshivos as lacking while cherry picking specific Yeshivos to highlight.

The NYT has written on those topics in the past.  A newspaper article aims to concentrate on a particular topic, and this one is yeshivas, not public schools.
No, the topic is *problems, manufactured and real* in Yeshivos, not a general article about Yeshivos. If you want to allege they are doing something wrong you sure have to present the alternative you are requesting they aspire to, and should include the potential cons as well.

Really, now.  Try to keep the focus on education.
Because that’s all it was about. Voter registration and religious attitudes towards pigs, it was ultimately all about the education. /s

*Amusing story. There is a Sefer which poses the following question: תלמיד חכם כצואה או כערוה? (Translation: is a Torah scholar more similar to feces or to nudity?) The question dealt with the requirement to stand for a Talmud Chochom when viewed behind a glass, as one is required to refrain from praying when nudity is visible behind glass but may pray when in the room with fecal matter behind glass.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Simcha is making the point that the NYT
He's making a point before reading the article!

the NYT is trying to paint Chareidim as money sucking people who don't educate their kids,
That's incorrect.  It specifically says that they "educate children in Jewish law, prayer and tradition" but not much in English reading, math and secular subjects.

he is demonstrating that is false by showing
Whether or not these points are true, they don't demonstrate that the statement above is false.  That is, his points aren't addressing the claim that hasidic students aren't learning secular subjects.

A. QoL is way higher in frum neighborhoods than in neighborhoods with mostly PS school attendees,
I understand that this seems obvious to those who live in BP or CH and see the low-income neighborhoods right next door.  But the state regulations apply statewide, and your comparison doesn't hold there.  Would you say that Jackson had a poor QOL until Lakewood families moved in?  Or that Chestnut Ridge had a poor QOL until Monseyites appeared? It's just not correct to claim that non-frum areas have a poor QOL.

B. The education given brings results as demonstrated by earning potentials and overall well being.
I think the letter from NYSED addresses this claim, I'll look it up.

C. The money spent per pupil (even including all funds) is far less than what NYS spends for PS students (which is not even including those funds) and so on and so forth.
This just isn't relevant.  The state isn't drawing up these regulations to save money.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
I went back to see what happened to the tweet, and apparently it's "protected". So here goes a screenshot just so it makes some sense.

Easier to cite from the article itself: https://www.nytimes.com/yi/2022/09/11/nyregion/yeshiva-hasidic-schools.html
עס איז נישט דא קיין פאראייניגטע חסידישע חינוך סיסטעם. איבער א טוץ חסידישע קהילות האבן זיך זייערע אייגענע מוסדות. בלויז איינע פון זיי, חב״ד, מוטיגט זייערע חסידים צו רעדן ענגליש כדי זיי זאלן קענען טון שליחות.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
FYI, there was a draft making its rounds before the article was posted...

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
This just isn't relevant.  The state isn't drawing up these regulations to save money.
You better believe the article is trying to portray the Yeshivos as money-sucking scams. Why the inflated and exaggerated 1B figure? Why not some context?

It’s interesting that that you believe any mitigating evidence is irrelevant but have no problem with their inclusion of the “girls and pigs” smear and complaints of voter registration drives.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Yes, because the article was utter trash.

He hadn't read the article at the point he wrote this.

Just because he speaks negatively towards something he (and I) believe was riddled with one-sided nonsense doesn’t mean you shouldn’t hear him out.

IOW, if he feels the article is biased, then he should respond in a biased fashion? 

His point was that the piece was likely intended to influence opinion on the eve of a major decision, but is unfair and one-sided.
Influence opinion of the Regents?  After they've been studying this issue for two years?  I don't see that there's much new for them here.

As he’s well aware, many (most?) areas of NYC are riddled with crime and Chasidishe neighborhoods are a glaring exception.
Just not true.

If the insinuation is that the poor education leads to a life of squalor and lack contribution to society, the character of the communities produced by Yeshivos vs. PS should definitely be factored in.
That's not the insinuation. 

Objection: Relevance?
I agree, it's not relevant to mention the Holocaust, but the author seemed to consider Chassidim arriving after the Holocaust as a reason for their wanting this sort of yeshiva.

The point is to rebut the insidious conjecture of the Times; it’s quite the stretch to say we’re stealing from other taxpayers to fund our extravagant private school lifestyle.
The article doesn't give that impression at all.  Maybe stealing from other taxpayers to fund religious education, but nowhere do I see mention of extravagant lifestyle.

Fortunately you got to read the article before commenting so why don’t you point out how he was mistaken in his assumptions?
LOL.  It's bad enough that I spent time reading his response to an article he didn't read, I certainly don't intend wasting more time comparing his essay to the actual article.  He can do that. 

...a school should have the latitude to determine that their adolescent male students not be required to see pictures of females in various states of undress,
The example given shows girls in a state of dress, not undress. In one, a girl is changing a flat tire, and the text has the word "girl" crossed out.  They're not allowed to read the word?

They didn’t appear to allege a crime, that was totally your doing.
Hamayvin, yavin.  "At some yeshivas, students who bring in their parents’ “I Voted” stickers win rewards. The Central United Talmudical Academy recently took children with stickers on a trip to Coney Island, two parents said. The other children had to stay behind. Mr. Connolly, the lawyer for some Hasidic schools, disputed the parents’ account."

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
There is no pretzel here. Money given to schools for food programs help with the child's education. As I stated it is also a shell game. State/gov funds for food programs is less money the schools need to use their own money that they can use on other things at the school. It is all related.
Funding for food is from the usda which is a federal program and has nothing to do with the state other that it's is implemented through them
["-"]