Author Topic: NY Times vs. Chassidim  (Read 127457 times)

Offline Savingsbeast

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Do you know that for a fact?

According the Forward, the NYT reached out to them for help on getting the article translated. While, ultimately they didn't use any of their referrals. It does show that they were shopping around for translators and it could have been anyone.

Besides, out the many ex-Hasidim they interviewed, I'd think 1 or 2 would have the skill to translate.

Offline Oiheivyisroel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Am Yisroel have no fear, Moshiach will be here this year!

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

I don't understand.  Are you saying that people are discussing whether Katle Kanye was the translator?

Do you think his evaluation of the schools is accurate?  Do you agree with any part of his solution?  My Yiddish isn't good enough to read the parts of the book that are shown on amazon.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/shua-seif-787164112_dear-all-orthodox-jews-who-are-trying-to-activity-6975308765256437760-WEYy?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_android
So his problem clearly is "The difficulty this poses if they ever want to leave the Frum".

Do we have to educate our kids to pass a leave the Frum world readiness test?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Oiheivyisroel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I don't understand.  Are you saying that people are discussing whether Katle Kanye was the translator?

Do you think his evaluation of the schools is accurate?  Do you agree with any part of his solution?  My Yiddish isn't good enough to read the parts of the book that are shown on amazon.

Was just ironic to see, @Alexsei pained with the fact that people read the Veker (a journal written anonymously by some self-haters). Two posts further, you ask if anyone is familiar with a book published by them....

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
Watch and see the מסירות that are coming. By the very same people. They aren't going to stop at "fighting for our future" they are on to destroy us like in past generations.
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
I hesitate to do this, because quite obviously this person had a very rough go of it, and I'm not looking to turn him into the subject of mockery or derision. But it was published in a much-hyped story in the biggest newspaper...

If someone reading Dr. Seuss for the first time at 28 can graduate nursing school, and that's considered one of our "failures", then we're doing very well.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Was just ironic to see, @Alexsei pained with the fact that people read the Veker (a journal written anonymously by some self-haters). Two posts further, you ask if anyone is familiar with a book published by them....
Oh, okay.  :) Actually, I came across the book from a different site, and did see that it was the same publisher, but had never heard of them. 

So when you call them "self-haters", you're saying that you disagree with the journal and the book?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
As mentioned, the largest Chabad boys' school in CH has ZERO secular studies.

My alma mater, ages 3-20. didn't teach me the ABCs or to count my fingers, and yet I have a professional career where my self-taught English skills (I started reading English around age 5 with assistance from siblings who were close to my age) come in handy every day. Those skills are far from perfect, but they're certainly sufficient.

As far as outcomes are concerned I'm probably around the average mark amongst my peers/schoolmates.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
My alma mater, ages 3-20. didn't teach me the ABCs or to count my fingers, and yet I have a professional career where my self-taught English skills (I started reading English around age 5 with assistance from siblings who were close to my age) come in handy every day. Those skills are far from perfect, but they're certainly sufficient.

As far as outcomes are concerned I'm probably around the average mark amongst my peers/schoolmates.
Yes but did you learn sarcasm?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile

Do you think you won't have excessive challenges if you choose to leave the Frum community ?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Oiheivyisroel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Oh, okay.  :) Actually, I came across the book from a different site, and did see that it was the same publisher, but had never heard of them. 

So when you call them "self-haters", you're saying that you disagree with the journal and the book?

I'll be a bit harsh.

I didn't read it, and I hope not to read it bez”h. When chazal warned about sifrei minus, they didn't give an expiration date, so it's a question you should ask your LOR before opening a book written by people who are against Torah authority.

Someone came to a Rav and asked him many kashyos on emunah etc. the Rav told him, let’s learn together all sforim on emunah and then you’ll ask. Basically, you can’t ask kashyos when you have no knowledge. We have many people today’s days, who ask kashyos on  emunah, chinuch, religion, chasidos, etc. and they even come up with “solutions” and answers, but they didn’t even bother to learn these subjects in depth. They’re just like a kid who give suggestions to an architect or professor.

Judaism is living and growing by our guidance book (Torah) and its engineers (talmidei chachomim). If you don’t want to obey their rules, I can’t force you. But please start a new religion, don’t modify ours.

#Korach  #Doson&Avirom

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
What is absolutely fascinating from a historical perspective, is that the famous maskil Naftail Wessley, (with support from Saul Berlin), campaigned tirelessly to make changes to the traditional  education system in the late 1700s. Their outlined reasons are virtually the same as YAFFED. The response from traditional Jewry was quite vicious. Sadly, the Rabbinate now has zero power over nowadays weasels.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
I'll be a bit harsh.

Okay, thanks for the explanation!

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
What is absolutely fascinating from a historical perspective, is that the famous maskil Naftail Wessley, (with support from Saul Berlin), campaigned tirelessly to make changes to the traditional  education system in the late 1700s. Their outlined reasons are virtually the same as YAFFED. The response from traditional Jewry was quite vicious. Sadly, the Rabbinate now has zero power over nowadays weasels.
Many states have had these same rules for years. Why is it "the sky is falling" now?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Rabbi Braun of CH:
https://streamable.com/m7i74a
The alternatives are jail or the gallows, not NJ or Tampa?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Many states have had these same rules for years. Why is it "the sky is falling" now?
I am referring to the phenomenon of religious Jews campaigning against their fellow Jews to change the education system for “their own good”.