Author Topic: NY Times vs. Chassidim  (Read 127577 times)

Offline Welder

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
I shouldn't be hard on you though, basic reading comprehension clearly escapes you due to your horrific education.
Haha good one ;)
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Looks like a hit piece unto satmar.

Lol even "chabad learnd English to proselytize". He definitely needed to add chabad into the the article, and couldn't come up with anything better...
And had to justify the picture of OT.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Why do they always get the 5 nebach cases for these articles?

There is plenty of successful people that went to cheders.

In every society there are people that aren't successful.
How would that prove their agenda?!?
Also, same reason they don't break down what public school education costs per pupil vs what the state contributes to these schools. Or break down how much of that funding is for food and bussing vs the child care per pupil.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Looks like a hit piece unto satmar.

Lol even "chabad learnd English to proselytize". He definitely needed to add chabad into the the article, and couldn't come up with anything better...
Eliza Shapiro's preferred pronoun?

Offline em0616

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
My parents refused to put me in yeshiva, and I went through a decade of being bullied and tormented every single day, I was in tears. Even when I sat in the front row, I was attacked in front of the teachers, and even principals witnessed it. Every day, non-stop spitballs, shoelaces being tied together, spit on face, stabbed, punched that I stopped breathing, rocks thrown on head, sperm put into ears. All I wanted was to have a private security guard next to me the entire time. Public school ruined my life, and decades later I am stuck with CPTSD. I would give a billion dollars to have been given the opportunity to go to yeshiva, and given an opportunity to have grown up with normal social life and frum friends.

There was one frum lady, who was the guidance counselor in the public school in elementary school (PS 247/ Brooklyn), Mrs. Engelsohn - she warned my parents what a catastrophe public school is, and these NY Times authors don't give a damn about the public schools, where the teachers are just wardens for future prisoners.

I hope the NY Times authors will chappen a misa meshuna this upcoming year of 5783.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
THIS.IS.GOLD. 

IYKYK

https://twitter.com/litvacitus/status/1568986734402174976

Side note: this guy's (@Litvacius) Yiddish leaves a lot to be desired. Must be an OT graduate or something of the sort. It took me quite a while to figure out what על או על means. What kind of Yiddish spelling is that? And IINM proper Yiddish would be "אויף ענגליש" rather than "אין ענגליש". @Something Fishy
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
My parents refused to put me in yeshiva, and I went through a decade of being bullied and tormented every single day, I was in tears. Even when I sat in the front row, I was attacked in front of the teachers, and even principals witnessed it. Every day, non-stop spitballs, shoelaces being tied together, spit on face, stabbed, punched that I stopped breathing, rocks thrown on head, sperm put into ears. All I wanted was to have a private security guard next to me the entire time. Public school ruined my life, and decades later I am stuck with CPTSD. I would give a billion dollars to have been given the opportunity to go to yeshiva, and given an opportunity to have grown up with normal social life and frum friends.

There was one frum lady, who was the guidance counselor in the public school in elementary school (PS 247/ Brooklyn), Mrs. Engelsohn - she warned my parents what a catastrophe public school is, and these NY Times authors don't give a damn about the public schools, where the teachers are just wardens for future prisoners.

I hope the NY Times authors will chappen a misa meshuna this upcoming year of 5783.
Wow no words.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Would you go public with a NYT Op-Ed?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
They fact check.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Or at least submit it at the bottom portion of the article where they beg to share stories. (Not the kind they are looking for - even better)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Or at least submit it at the bottom portion of the article where they beg to share stories. (Not the kind they are looking for - even better)
I've been reading through the >1100 comments on the story, and finally, in the last hour a couple have appeared that take issue with the slant of the article.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I've been reading through the >1100 comments on the story, and finally, in the last hour a couple have appeared that take issue with the slant of the article.

Perhaps link here what can be worth reading?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
They fact check.
What makes you think it wouldn't survive that?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
They fact check.

Wow. Would not expect this from you.

Having a close relative who taught in a NYC public school and was bullied *as a teacher*, I have no reason to doubt this account. Adding to that the weird details like "sperm put in the ears", not to mention naming a specific teacher, make it ring true that much more.

And, I have barely started reading the piece, and there are already lines that if are not false, are highly misleading.

The line about Chabad, for instance, is causing everyone to laugh. Try to imagine why. Hint: not because it was fact checked and is true.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Wow. Would not expect this from you.

I stated a fact.  They do fact check, although that doesn't mean that they necessarily get everything right.  I had the same response when reading the Chabad line.  But still, someone writing an op-ed should understand that they need to try to be truthful.

What makes me doubt this is the exaggerated language.  Someone has shoelaces tied together every day, and never thinks to change their style of shoe or shoelaces?  Spitballs are nonstop every day?  A child is stabbed every day and teachers and parents do nothing?

Offline ellemeno

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
They fact check.
...and if it's found to be factual, it could not be published.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
I stated a fact.  They do fact check, although that doesn't mean that they necessarily get everything right.  I had the same response when reading the Chabad line.  But still, someone writing an op-ed should understand that they need to try to be truthful.

What makes me doubt this is the exaggerated language.  Someone has shoelaces tied together every day, and never thinks to change their style of shoe or shoelaces?  Spitballs are nonstop every day?  A child is stabbed every day and teachers and parents do nothing?

I think we all understand exaggerated language and turns of phrase, just like I know s/he didn't have their laces tied together every single day, I know s/he doesn't literally wish the reporters to die a horrible death.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
Perhaps link here what can be worth reading?
I don't think I can link to the comments, but if you read the article online, in the top right you'll see the link to the 1.2K comments.  Here are a few recent ones that try to point out deficiencies in the article:

Edy
Brooklyn 1m ago

As a product and parent of a hasidic school, and a graduate, with honors, with a bachelors degree from college, I can only say this article is terribly misleading.
If your conclusion of your research doesn't match reality, you should change your methodology.
I invite any of the readers to come visit the neighborhoods mentioned in this article.
See for yourself if these neighborhoods have the look of the most poorly educated products.
See for yourself if you are walking in the most depleted neighborhoods.
See for yourself streets full of high quality bustling commerce.
See for yourself streets empty of homeless people, drug trafficking, or hooligan street fighting.
See for yourself why every politician would brush away this article as not relevant due to the facts on the ground.
See for yourself if reality matches the conclusion of this article.
Then what is going on here?
I believe the main question that has to be asked is, what is school for?
You don't need to look long as this actual question was presented in an opinion article in this very NYT this September 1. The question had 12(!) Essays to define this very complicated question.
Now, maybe the hasidic schools fail according to one definition of School, but meet many other definitions. By that yard stick, the hasidic school system is a major success.
I firmly believe that it should be the parents to decide what the definition of School is and choose accordingly the school providing that product.

Aaron
Orange County, CA 7m ago

If they aren't teaching science, then how do they make their space lasers?

Don’t Be Dumb
New Jersey 40m ago

I am truly appalled at the ignorance displayed in the article and in the comments. There is NO Hasidic community. Grouping the many different Hasidic groups with varying ideologies and beliefs and vastly different schools diminishes the validity of the argument. While the premise of the investigation is well founded, the evidence used does not support the claims. Yes, there are some schools in Hasidic communities that don’t provide basic education and don’t meet the requirements to merit funding. However, there are also Hasidic schools that have strong academics and far outperform public schools on standardized tests (ie the regents). So portraying the poor standards of specific schools to be emblematic of all Hasidic schools as a whole is inaccurate and frankly anti-Semitic. Furthermore, the article depicted boy schools that don’t offer a secular education as not teaching anything, failing to disclose that many of these schools have a rigorous curriculum of Judaic studies (many boys receive a degree equivalent to a bachelors for Talmudic study). Additionally, the article provides examples of use of corporal punishment in Hasidic schools. One instance it gave involved the police, which declared the allegation unfounded. I’m sure with public schools too, over decades and with tens of thousands of students going through, under a dozen would come forth and claim to not receive a proper education or have a physical altercation with a teacher. Anecdotal evidence is meaningless

Biased and Anti-Semitic
NY 51m ago

This article not only marginalizes and makes biased claims about all hasidic schools, it also does not tell you about what they do learn in the schools. They are learning scripture in such an indepth level and the critical analysis of the scripture is far superior to any public school in the US. Many ultra-orthodox and Orthodox students will become lawyers, because they are educated on such complex ideas as a child and they learn to think like lawyers.
This article does not say if they gave them the testing in English or Yiddish? If you went to a Hispanic community and asked a child to preform a test in English, do you think they would pass? Would you go to a Russian speaking school and require them to speak to their students in English?

David Williams
San Diego county 2h ago

"Just one, the Lubavitch movement, encourages followers to speak English, so they can proselytize."
This is incorrect. I'm assuming here we're talking about the Chabad movement. The defintion of proseltyize is, "convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another." The key word is "convert." Chabad leaders do not try to convert anyone. They offer Jews the opportunity to be Jewish. If a gentile wants to convert, great, but it is in no way their mission.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
I think we all understand exaggerated language and turns of phrase, just like I know s/he didn't have their laces tied together every single day, I know s/he doesn't literally wish the reporters to die a horrible death.
Right.  Agreed.  So none of us can tell from this post what, if anything, is true.  And if submitted like this to the NYT, they will also question, what part is true, what is exaggerated?  Not sure why you have a problem with my pointing this out.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
Right.  Agreed.  So none of us can tell from this post what, if anything, is true.  And if submitted like this to the NYT, they will also question, what part is true, what is exaggerated?  Not sure why you have a problem with my pointing this out.

Obviously it wouldn't be submitted as such to the NYT. OP is a ps grad, so they may need assistance from a yeshiva grad to touch up the writing.  :P

The exaggerated content seems quite obviously to be the frequency, not the specific examples. My issue is that your sharp line has the effect of doubting the entire post. Had I been sarcastic, no one would bat an eye lash. But coming from you, it was unexpected.