Author Topic: Denied Access To United Club at LAX Because of Kosher Food  (Read 1634 times)

Offline AHFlyer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Denied Access To United Club at LAX Because of Kosher Food
« on: September 11, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »
About thirty minutes ago I tried to access the United Club at LAX with a valid Club pass.  At the check-in to the club the attendant saw a small carryout bag from a kosher establishment in LA.  The attendant told me I could not enter the club with outside food.  I explained that I keep strictly kosher and that none of the food in the Club buffet was kosher for me to eat.  The attendant was adamant that I could not enter the club with outside food.  I politely asked to speak with a manager and she too informed me that I could not enter the Club with outside food, even though I explained that it was kosher and that the food in the Club buffet was not kosher.  I told the manager that I felt the "policy" was discriminatory against observant Jews and others with strict dietary restrictions.  I left and went to my gate where I now have a long wait for a flight on a CRJ 200 (sigh) that was just delayed further.

Has anyone had a similar experience with United Clubs?  Is this worth bringing to the attention of management or should I just let it go?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Denied Access To United Club at LAX Because of Kosher Food
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 03:26:36 PM »
Write to United.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »
Clubs often don't allow you to eat outside food inside them, but to not be allowed in... Just hide it better and try again ;)

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline db23

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: hilton diamond,bonvoy gold, hertz president circle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 04:02:07 PM »
had issue a few times, once in a delta lounge in miami and once in amex in vegas.

miami - i had my burger opened ready to eat and had a guy tell me i cant so i had to wrap up the whole meal and eat it on my tray table on cold and soggy on the plain.

in vegas i was more frustrated and ended up writing and then speaking later to amex exec (which btw they usually no good, much better if you can find a nice reg agent or manager to speak with from the reg cs line). i have eaten in that lounge a lot without any issues. i dont even think there is a sign if there is its not very visible. i had my sandwich out while i went to wash (was sitting in a corner) only to return to two people hovering over my poor tuna sandwich. they said i was not allowed to eat here, i had a back and forth with them i ended up losing that fight. but it was very frustrating. they used to have kosher options there but that ended pretty quickly. i ended up getting from the amex lady i think like 10-15000 points and i had to even squeeze that out of her.

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
We routinely sneak in kosher food to UA lounges. Once inside and eating have never had anyone say something about it to us.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 09:06:28 PM »
I've brought in the LAX lounge kosher food. Went to the terrace which was empty and had a great meal. Next time hide it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »
I've brought in the LAX lounge kosher food. Went to the terrace which was empty and had a great meal. Next time hide it.
+1. Just need to blend in.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 09:39:19 PM »
Just put it in your carry-on or briefcase next time

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 10:17:32 PM »
had issue a few times, once in a delta lounge in miami and once in amex in vegas.

miami - i had my burger opened ready to eat and had a guy tell me i cant so i had to wrap up the whole meal and eat it on my tray table on cold and soggy on the plain.

in vegas i was more frustrated and ended up writing and then speaking later to amex exec (which btw they usually no good, much better if you can find a nice reg agent or manager to speak with from the reg cs line). i have eaten in that lounge a lot without any issues. i dont even think there is a sign if there is its not very visible. i had my sandwich out while i went to wash (was sitting in a corner) only to return to two people hovering over my poor tuna sandwich. they said i was not allowed to eat here, i had a back and forth with them i ended up losing that fight. but it was very frustrating. they used to have kosher options there but that ended pretty quickly. i ended up getting from the amex lady i think like 10-15000 points and i had to even squeeze that out of her.
someone must have complained  ;D

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Visibly Jewish

Offline LongTimeLurker

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 04:11:12 AM »
+1. Just need to blend in.

This is a philosophical take on being Jewish in the diaspora if I ever heard one ;-)

Offline AHFlyer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 12:07:08 PM »
I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  I will try to blend in better next time and put the food in my briefcase.  Thank you.