Author Topic: The Depths of Africa: Something Fishy's Insane Off The Beaten Path Adventure  (Read 37023 times)

Offline DeerFeet

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Depths of Africa: Something Fishy's Insane Off The Beaten Path Adventure
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2023, 07:52:19 AM »
Love this report! Was that pool as funky as it looks in the pictures?

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
Re: The Depths of Africa: Something Fishy's Insane Off The Beaten Path Adventure
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2023, 10:01:38 AM »
if 80 percent of the country has aids where there precautions you had to take health wise to make absolutely sure you are safe?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2023, 10:19:20 AM »
if 80 percent of the country has aids where there precautions you had to take health wise to make absolutely sure you are safe?
You just bribe someone, and you are safe.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2023, 10:24:54 AM »
Love this report! Was that pool as funky as it looks in the pictures?

The pool was fantastic,  just looks weird in that hazy light.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2023, 10:27:36 AM »

Yes, I didn't sleep with the locals...

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2023, 10:28:59 AM »
Needless to say that this is a Top TR.
Thanks for that.

Please don't tell me you paid $150 just for a Covid test.

If you did, and weren't American, you'd be auto-approved for a Green Card...

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2023, 10:32:10 AM »
Needless to say that this is a Top TR.
Thanks for that.

Please don't tell me you paid $150 just for a Covid test.

If you did, and weren't American, you'd be auto-approved for a Green Card...

Thanks.

I did pay $150, Malawi required a test in order to EXIT the country (what the actual heck) and it had to be a legit, trackable, locally done test. So couldn't play too many games with that.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Thanks.

I did pay $150, Malawi required a test in order to EXIT the country (what the actual heck) and it had to be a legit, trackable, locally done test. So couldn't play too many games with that.
No games, just the price my friend....
This guy can live 5 years with his entire family for such an amount.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2023, 12:34:06 PM »
AMAZING!!

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2023, 11:27:42 PM »
Malawi
Part 2

Shabbos was - as planned - a quiet and relaxing interlude between two busy and tiring weeks. Fantastic seudas on the deck overlooking the beach and lake, actually waking up late for a change, and just generally recharging. I spent a few hours Shabbos afternoon on the porch alternating between a sefer, watching birds, and napping. Mostly napping.

Went for a nice swim Motzei Shabbos:

What a scam. I kissed this and all I got were warts instead of a handsome prince:

The moon was showing a 22° halo, which is a fairly uncommon atmospheric phenomenon. The bright spot at 4 o'clock is Jupiter:

Locals bathing in the lake on Sunday morning:

Had a bunch of visitors in the garden today. First was a rainbow skink:

One of the local vervet monkey troop:

Yellow-fronted Canary:

Red-billed Firefinch:

Tawny-flanked Prinia:

Wire-tailed Swallow:

A group of Village Weavers were flying back and forth building their nests. I could watch these guys for hours:

I'd like to see you weave something half as intricate using just your mouth. Incredible!

The one on the right is freshening up an older nest with fresh greenery; a female will never join him in a dried out nest:

Around 9am our guide and driver had arrived, and we headed north to Lake Malawi National Park for a day on the lake.

Getting ready for Sukkos:

Here we are:

Cape Maclear is a little village on a peninsula jutting into the lake, and that's where most boats are based (Malawi is a former British Colony, hence many English place names). We had chartered the Mama Afrika, a lovely sailing catamaran, and the lake and weather were absolutely stunning:

Like I said in the previous segment, Lake Malawi is in the top 10 for largest, longest, and deepest lakes on earth. And indeed it is - it's over 350 miles long, has more than 11,000 square miles of surface area, and is 2,316 deep. But it's real claim to fame is what happens beneath the surface: the lake is home to more species of fish than any other lake on earth.

The locals were out fishing:

As were the Yellow-billed Kites:

This guy was out fishing on a dugout canoe - essentially a hollowed-out log:

The canoe was so narrow he literally didn't fit inside so he had to straddle it. Imagine spending your days like that in 2,000 feet of water!

Bailing out water:

We stopped for a chat - not that I understood a blessed word:

The skies were full of African Fish-Eagles patrolling the lake for fish. Every couple of minutes one would dive down at full speed:

Take careful aim:

And snag lunch:

Smoooooth:

Now that's fresh sushi:

After sailing for a couple of hours and enjoying the sights, we pulled into a quiet cove for the main event.

I'm sure most of you have seen a fish tank full of African cichlids; they're the most beautiful and colorful freshwater fish around. And where do these fish come from? Lake Malawi, of course!

As mentioned above, Lake Malawi has more fish than any other lake - over 1,000 different species. More than 700 of these are cichlids - and it was time to go snorkeling with them!

Snorkeling gear on, jump off the boat.... and paradise:

This being a freshwater lake, there are no corals here of course; instead the bottom was covered in giant boulders. The cichlids love hanging out in their shade, so as we were snorkeling we would bump into fresh schools of fish behind every rock.

Snorkeling here was absolutely wonderful, and it was totally worth coming to Malawi just for this. I've snorkeled in the ocean countless times, and this was just a totally different experience (although a bit harder, being used to saltwater's higher buoyancy).

After snorkeling for an hour or two it was late afternoon, so we headed back to shore.

The town was mostly deserted, with countless empty tables and stands along the waterfront. Normally these would be full of vendors selling stuff to the few tourists who'd come, but Covid had decimated everything.

We did however find one souvenir stand open - selling, because why the heck not - British football club patches. Not sure how many Manchester United or West Ham fans pass through here, but what do I know. And of course, to make it even weirder, a carved wooden Magen David:

Yup, seems legit!

Pretty fascinating seeing Malawian girls play the same games my daughter does!

On the other hand I saw a couple of kids playing with a stick and hoop, but couldn't get a picture of it. I had thought that this is something which only existed in Dr. Seuss books:

Stopped by a soccer game:

Have a look at their "ball": it's a bunch of old plastic bags tied together with some string:

Once again, communal well. Mind-blowing how these women can handle this physical work... do you have any idea how much a bucket like that weighs?

I went to try out the pump, and honestly I was tuckered out after 60 seconds. That thing is HARD to pump! Especially while all ladies were laughing their heads off at "a man doing women's work", according to my guide's translation.

Back at the house, it's time to feel like a MAN again: let's grill some MEAAAAATTT for dinner:

After a delicious dinner it was off to be early - we had a 4am wake up call to get to the airport for our flight out. We had flown into Lilongwe, but there were better outbound flights from the town of Blantyre. Being that our house was nearly equidistant between the two, it was a no-brainer.

Fancy airport:

Maybe not exactly the best way to inspire confidence in your national airline, eh?

I couldn't believe it when Malawi Airlines allowed me to request a KSML for a 2-hour flight in Y, and I was extremely curious what it was gonna look like.

Feast your eyes and behold:

Lady next to me was wearing a blanket with literal, bona fide tzitzes. I was dying to ask her about it, but every time I as much looked at her she shot me a look of such pure loathing that I decided not to bother. Best I have is a sideways picture of it:

And with that weird episode, Malawi was behind us.

Next stop: Johannesburg!

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2023, 11:52:22 PM »
Was about to scream ouch seeing the soccer kicking with bare footed toes.. Guess that's why it is made of plastic bags.  :)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2023, 12:02:44 AM »
I love reading your TR's. thank you so much for sharing!

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2023, 12:05:01 AM »
These pics are out of this world amazing!

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2023, 12:26:03 AM »
Just amazing! Thank you!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2023, 04:02:58 AM »
Excellent my son, keep them up!

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2023, 10:13:47 PM »
Malawi
Part 2

Shabbos was - as planned - a quiet and relaxing interlude between two busy and tiring weeks. Fantastic seudas on the deck overlooking the beach and lake, actually waking up late for a change, and just generally recharging. I spent a few hours Shabbos afternoon on the porch alternating between a sefer, watching birds, and napping. Mostly napping.

https://www.diamondsleepsolutions.com/post/slearning-shabbos-afternoon-phenomenon

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
South Africa

We came to South Africa for a simple reason: it was the only practical way to fly between Malawi and our next stop, Zimbabwe. For a world-class tourist attraction, Victoria Falls is surprisingly annoying to get to, so that meant we had just about 24 hours in Johannesburg to kill.

And considering that there is absolutely nothing of interest to be found in Johannesburg except fantastic and cheap kosher food, this meant the plan was to basically fress till we dropped.

First stop was our Airbnb in the Jewish area to drop off our stuff. The owner had Whatsapped me the day before with the loadshedding schedule, so we knew we won't have power when we arrived. Turns out the water was off as well... talk about the full South African experience right from the get-go.

Driving into the neighborhood, it wa shocking how people live here. There's so much potential - the houses are nice, every tree is covered in flowers, and yet you need to live behind walls and razor wire in a self-made prison:

On the house's key ring was a remote to open the doors and the fortified garage gate. I stepped out one time only to be confronted 30 seconds later by an armored truck screeching to a halt in front of me, and a team of fully-outfitted SWAT members jumped out, waving long rifles all about.

"What's going on? Are you okay???"

Turns out I had pressed a panic button on the remote by mistake.... what a way to live.

Some Jewish guy making bank off all this at least:

Anyways, once my heart stopped beating like mad, we took an uber to the area where the kosher restaurants are and got started in earnest. First stop, Gelatissimo:

Heaven... we tasted pretty much every flavor before deciding what to go with, and then went back for doubles and triples. I'm not sure it competes with Bali in Argentina but it's definitely a close second.

Being that our next stop was fleishigs, we went to the Kosher World supermarket to stock up on some essentials I needed for the remainder of the trip while we waited to become pareve again. For reasons I don't remember, we didn't buy any biltong (@Dawie and @Yehuda57 please don't murder me).

Next stop was Nando's - food was incredible and cheap as borscht:

These potato wedges............. like I said at the time:

the spicy wedges are legit crack.
Me, 5 minutes ago: okay these are pretty good, but "legit crack"? Nah.
Me, 3 minutes ago, beckoning over the waitress with an orange-stained finger: I'll have another one, please and thank you.
Me, now: maybe I'll have a third?

By the time we were done with Nandos it was about 5 in the afternoon and we were pretty much in a food coma. We went back to the airbnb for a bit, stopping for yet another Covid test for our upcoming travels (for those of you keeping score at home, this was the 413th (or thereabouts) Covid test of the trip).

Back home for a quick rest - aka looking for birds while my friend rested. Spotted a pair of Gray Go-away-birds across the street:

Why are they called Go-away-birds? Because supposedly their call sounds like they're screaming "go awayyyy!". I'm not convinced; go judge for yourself.

For our second dinner we went to RTG. I can't find any pictures, but once again we bought out half the menu. At that price, it was more expensive not to!

We finally waddled home, davened maariv at the closest Chabad shul, and had a good night's sleep now that the power and water had come back on thankfully.

Next morning we stopped at Hey Barista for breakfast. I saw crumpets on the menu and had to try it, but turns out it tasted like sand:

I got the safer toast and omlette, which didn't turn out much better - the toast was burnt and the eggs were nearly raw. Nunu:

Anyways, off to the airport to fly to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. Not sure why British Airways flies an intra-Africa route, but they probably have a good reason:

The flight was nearly empty, I think there were about 25 passengers altogether:

The flight attendant was evidently bored as she went on weird and continuous power trip from gate to gate:

It's always incredible to hear the random BS some flight attendants come up with and the rules they spontaneously make up.

Flying BA JNB-VFA now and the FA informed me that my headphones must be completely off my head for takeoff and landing.
Same FA: "you must put your shoes back on now!"

After parking and getting connected to the jetbridge, the seatbelt sign switching off, and everyone standing up to get their stuff: "everyone sit right back down now! This is against regulations! You'll have plenty of time to get your things later!"

Shockingly, my headphones didn't cause our plane to crash and burn over a pack of hungry lions, and so we made it safely to the ninth country of this trip - Zimbabwe.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Didn't read the post yet, but mezuzah security signs were made by Chabad House to encourage people to put up mezuzos, they weren't a business. Looks like someone saw all those signs and made a security firm by that name.

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
South Africa

Being that our next stop was fleishigs, we went to the Kosher World supermarket to stock up on some essentials I needed for the remainder of the trip while we waited to become pareve again. For reasons I don't remember, we didn't buy any biltong (@Dawie and @Yehuda57 please don't murder me).

ALOL... more for those that appreciate the finer things in life
Nice pics of the Jacaranda's and Sylvia's Pass
As far as BA goes, its Comair a BA franchise not a BA inter Africa route per se

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Didn't read the post yet, but mezuzah security signs were made by Chabad House to encourage people to put up mezuzos, they weren't a business. Looks like someone saw all those signs and made a security firm by that name.

OK that's hysterical