Topic Wiki

CR ratings:

Ratings key
Infant 22 pound and greater than 22 pounds ratings.
40 pound convertible ratings.
Greater than 40 pound convertible ratings

Local and/or state laws regarding car seats and child restraint systems (booster seats).

New York's Occupant Restraint laws require the following:

• Children up to the age of 4 must be properly restrained in a federally approved child safety seat that is attached to a vehicle by a seat belt or universal child restraint anchorage (LATCH) system.
  • Children less than age 4 but weighing more than 40 poundsmay be restrained in a booster seat with a lap/shoulder safety belt. However, a child safety seat that accommodates higher weights can be used.
  • Children ages 4, 5, 6 and 7 must be properly secured in an appropriate child restraint system, one for which the child meets the height and weight recommendations of the child restraint manufacturer.*
  • An appropriate child restraint system is one that meets the child's size and weight recommended by the manufacturer.
  • A vehicle's safety belt is NOT a child restraint system.
  • Children riding in booster seats must be secured with a combination lap/shoulder seat belt, NEVER secure a child in a booster seat with only a lap belt.
  • From the age of 8 until they reach their 16th birthday, children must be restrained in a seat belt whenever they ride in a vehicle. All Front seat passengers must be properly restrained at all times, regardless of age.
  • Children 12 years and younger should ride in the back seat. By simply buckling up your child in the back seat reduces his/her risk of death by 33%.

*It is recommended that booster seats be used until your child is 4 foot 9 inches tall or weighs 100 pounds.[/li][/list]

New Jersey law going into effect 9/1/2015

Author Topic: Car Seat Master Thread  (Read 96706 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Infant Carseat Master Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
Thanks.
I know there are accessories that attach the car seat to the stroller, but my wife said there is some kind of car seat that comes with a very lightweight and easy to fold stroller frame. Possibly made by Graco. Any idea what she's talking about?
Many companies make a 'stroller frame' specifically designed to house an infant car seat. Many of them can be used with other brands' car seats, but generally speaking the best 'stroller frame' for any given infant car seat is the one made specifically for it. The the car seat you choose will more than likely dictate which 'stroller frame' is best.

+1 on the Chicco though, both the car seat and the frame. I regret not spending the extra money over the Graco we got.

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Offline E-MAN

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »
Not recommended?
http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?productid=1774385#sthash.rL2CASDF.dpbs
That's basically what I had. It'll get the job done for a good price, but it just doesn't stack up against some of the better car seats. In comparison to the Chicco (and others), it's not as easy to secure properly (tight and level) in your car and it's not as easy to adjust the straps. That particular model is only recommended until the baby is 22 lbs (though Graco makes larger models as well), which may not be what you're looking for.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
That's basically what I had. It'll get the job done for a good price, but it just doesn't stack up against some of the better car seats. In comparison to the Chicco (and others), it's not as easy to secure properly (tight and level) in your car and it's not as easy to adjust the straps. That particular model is only recommended until the baby is 22 lbs (though Graco makes larger models as well), which may not be what you're looking for.
Thanks

Offline Iheartdan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:52 PM »
I am flying to Chicago for Pesach and driving a minivan back to New York. My son is just growing out of his chicco keyfit 30 and I think such a long drive would be uncomfortable for him in his keyfit. Any suggestions on what type of carseat I can bring on the plane and use for the drive back?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2014, 11:16:15 PM »
I am flying to Chicago for Pesach and driving a minivan back to New York. My son is just growing out of his chicco keyfit 30 and I think such a long drive would be uncomfortable for him in his keyfit. Any suggestions on what type of carseat I can bring on the plane and use for the drive back?
http://www.dansdeals.com/go/26692/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Iheartdan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2014, 11:39:53 PM »
Thats what i was gonna buy but you said "The downside is that it’s not as plush and he had a harder time falling asleep in it" and i thought maybe such a long drive maybe it is not so good for it.

Offline Iheartdan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
I read somewhere that they use their Nextfit with the Britax travel cart for airports. Any thoughts?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
I once flew with a full size convertible car seat.
Never again.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Iheartdan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
what about what you said "The downside is that it’s not as plush and he had a harder time falling asleep in it" and i thought maybe such a long drive maybe it is not so good for it.
any other alternative or you recommend the Scenara for my situation

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 04, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
Definitely get the Scenara, my kid flew with it to israel,
It's solid, lightweight & cheap

Offline RT

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
I read somewhere that they use their Nextfit with the Britax travel cart for airports. Any thoughts?

Heavy!!
I was at a baby store looking at the "travel carts" and the store couldn't get the NextFit on the wheels. I'm pretty sure it was the Britax wheels that didn't work well with NextFit.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
what about what you said "The downside is that it’s not as plush and he had a harder time falling asleep in it" and i thought maybe such a long drive maybe it is not so good for it.
You have to pick which one you're more concerned about - having a tough time in the airport and one the plane with a heavier car seat or a less comfortable ride on the way back with the Scenara.

Offline RT

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »

Look for a something "deep" so the kid can sleep comfortably. Based on my experience I wouldn't do the Seneca for long drives. Get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Able-Infant-Tapestry/dp/B006ZISSGO/ref=sr_1_19?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1396622082&sr=1-19&keywords=toddler+car+seat

I don't know anything about the safety/ratings/comfort, etc but it is nice and deep so the kid can sleep comfortably.

Offline zw

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
What is the best deal now on infant seats, like the ones talked about in this thread??

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
Can we change this title to the "car seat master thread" or is there another thread?

I'm looking for a car seat for my 2 yr old. The one Dan posted recently would.be good Bec if the weight but not the age. I need something cheap (as its a second car seat for back up) thanks.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline ari9

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
Can we change this title to the "car seat master thread" or is there another thread?

I'm looking for a car seat for my 2 yr old. The one Dan posted recently would.be good Bec if the weight but not the age. I need something cheap (as its a second car seat for back up) thanks.
+1
and move it to general discussion

and change the title of this thread to "Stroller/Carriage Master Thread", etc.

Offline dac2800

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Cautionary note re. Cosco Scenera
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
We recently purchased 2 Cosco Scenera convertible car sets for a trip (4 flights on Delta, total of ~20 hours in the air in coach).  I cannot recommend the Scenera for travel, for the following reasons:
1) Wal-Mart, which is really the only place to get it, has a shipping issue.  We had to order 6 carseats in order to get 2 that were not completely opened or crushed upon arrival.
2) The carseats have virtually no padding, which can't be comfortable for an infant/toddler on a long flight.
3) The attachment mechanisms are very poorly designed, likely a function of the low cost.  While less of an issue on a plane, this caused significant problems at our destinations.  The seats took at least 20 minutes each to install, and still were not fully secure.  Moreover, due to the design of the front foot (see below), when installed rear facing in all but a large car you cannot use the Latch attachments because the foot will block the anchor points.
4) Very poor front foot design for rear facing.  As noted elsewhere, when installed rear facing you need to use a rolled up towel under the front (now rear) foot.  Unfortunately, no matter what we did we could not get a secure install.  Additionally, while the seat is both very light and narrow (both good for an airplane), when rear-facing the seat is actually deeper than our large Britax Marathon.  This is due to the front foot design which sticks out from the front of the seat.  In fact, the Cosco seat actually fit WORSE front to rear than did the Britax - a particularly big issue when sitting in coach.

Offline upside down

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Car Seat Master Thread
« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for a inexpensive "convertible" car seat (car seat for a 2-3 year old)?