Poll

Who did you vote for?

Hochul
3 (7.9%)
Zeldin
35 (92.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?  (Read 33001 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Do the chasidim plan to vote for Hochul or Zeldin?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 04:46:36 PM »
Silly hypothetical IMO.

Will it always be the case that the Government wants to control what's taught in schools?

Who knows? This conversation is about reality... I think.

Want to talk theories, we can make stuff up and discuss.

The same way the $$$ can lead to it in NY they can lead to it in OH. That is not an issue right now but is absolutely a risk for the future.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 05:09:20 PM »
The same way the $$$ can lead to it in NY they can lead to it in OH. That is not an issue right now but is absolutely a risk for the future.
(That's what I thought; which makes the timing of this push in NJ to get tuition vouchers a little strange to me. Do they not see what's happening in NY?)

Off topic

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 06:00:29 PM »
When will a Nachshon come out and say that we don't want state support or the strings attached?

Even if the schools didn't take a penny, the State rules would still apply. If parents send to a school that does not meet the rules, they would be truant.

An aside that probably should go in a different thread: While they won't go after all parents, they can use it to cause problems for borderline cases. If a family is brought to the attention of CPS (which can happen for totally innocent reasons) the fact that from a legal perspective they "don't send their kids to school" will be used against them.

Offline imayid2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 08:30:51 PM »
Would be foolish to stop taking deserved money before any indication of danger. In NY the danger has become a reality so it would make sense.

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2022, 12:24:45 AM »
The danger in NY is independent of funding, despite great efforts by NYT to imply otherwise

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2022, 12:46:56 AM »
When will a Nachshon come out and say that we don't want state support or the strings attached?
Will it take the state moving to close a school before that happens?

Interesting that this is coming from you. There are literally hundreds of people all over pushing exactly for this, for מוסדות על טהרות הקודש here in America too with zero government assistance, but they're generally being viewed as extremists. They've already established such mini scale Mosdos but somehow I'd bunch them together with the anti-vax, anti-internet, anti-whatnot schools which have recently popped up. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2022, 08:30:47 AM »
Nachshon wasn't an extremist?
We'll see what happens, but it sure seems like the NYT article is changing the tide on any public funding without public accountability to the whims of the locale.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2022, 08:33:41 AM »
the whims of the locale.

Which can change on a whim.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline daybyday

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »
Nope. OP is a self hating jew.
One must wonder if Jews vote for the interests of their immediate needs for benefits etc. but at the same time, their votes are for a candidate that is clearly awful to the general Jewish community located in the entire state and beyond. Would they be considered 'self-hating jews'?

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
Am I the only one that finds the tone a bit offensive amd judgmental?
Facts don't care about your feelings.

Offline savvydigz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2022, 11:52:21 AM »
I know firsthand that the askonim for the mosdos were' planning on endorsing Zeldin just 2 weeks ago, but now they got cold feet likely thing abt their pockets and photo ops with those officials and are now leaning tremendously toward Hochul.
It;s a disgrace that they put money in front of our basic values. i just hope at this point people will realize and vote on their own. because the fact of the ,atter is the jewish vote can swing this election.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2022, 12:04:08 PM »
Facts don't care about your feelings.

What fact was asserted? Let's go through the OP:

I think most will agree
From the start, we're not dealing with facts, but OP's opinions, or thoughts. Maybe even "feelings".
that overall for the Jewish community in NY Zeldin is the absolute better choice,

No reasons given. No facts stated. Just an "absolute" which we should believe just because.

but for the chasidish communities, many would say

Ah, the old factual "many would say". Definitely no room for argument here, if many people would say this. Oh, and what are many people saying exactly?
they only care about receiving free benefits, etc

Oh yeah, that's totes just a factual statement. No ignorant stereotyping to see, just nuanced thoughtfulness here.

then voting for Hochul would be their choice.
So we have so far one reason to vote for any party: benefits. Reasons to vote for Zeldin? He's the "absolute better choice".

The question is do the chasidish communities plan to vote for what is good for their immediate needs or for what is good for the general Jewish community in NY state.

Oh those gosh darn Chassidim, always ruining it for everyone else with their short-sightedness. Unlike the rest of "the general Jewish community" who are much smarter and understand the "long term" benefits of voting for .... a republican in NY with a slim chance of winning in a specifically favorable election cycle.*

*I'm not saying Hochul is better, that Chassidm Inc think she's better, or that no one should vote Republican.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »
TLDR: If the OP would have been written by a NYT reporter, there would (rightly) be a massive outcry on how antisemitic they were.

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »
, but it sure seems like the NYT article is changing the tide on any public funding without public accountability to the whims of the locale.
that may be a new reality, if they maintain their new approach.
The NY problems predate and exceed that

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2022, 12:39:33 PM »
I know firsthand that the askonim for the mosdos were' planning on endorsing Zeldin just 2 weeks ago, but now they got cold feet likely thing abt their pockets and photo ops with those officials and are now leaning tremendously toward Hochul.
It;s a disgrace that they put money in front of our basic values. i just hope at this point people will realize and vote on their own. because the fact of the ,atter is the jewish vote can swing this election.

Personally I rely on the askonim to tell me who to vote for. Whoever they endorse, I vote for the other guy.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2022, 12:43:20 PM »
Personally I rely on the askonim to tell me who to vote for. Whoever they endorse, I vote for the other guy.

It's easy for you to stick your neck out, but what of the rest of the Hassidic Voting Bloc™?

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
Will it take the state moving to close a school before that happens?

There are some small "fanatics" like this, but don't expect any big mainstream to go this path. There is way too much money involved. (Check out 'CheckBookNYC' for some 'city' numbers). Take Satmar for example, they/the Rebbe feel they have the ability to ignore/do what they please, or even political power, like when the Satmar Rebbe (R' A), held up the NYS budget Erev Pesach, and Gov Cuomo had to call the Rebbe to beg him, as Cuomo had a campaign promise to pass the budget on time.

But on the block-vote, the grip is being lost. there was an op-ed published in the "Moment" crying that the people are ignoring the endorsements of the 'askonim', and simply voting Republican, and giving the 2021 New York City mayoral election as an example, where the askonim (ie = mosidos) endorsed Adams, & the Jewish areas voted (esp Boro Park overwhelming) for Curtis Sliwa, and the writer cried that he is an open anti-Semite. The askonim/mosidos have endorsed Hochul in this race, (see how many times she visited the Chasidish areas) and [the op-ed] claimed that her silence on the NYT article is actually that she is doing behind the scenes work, and NYT wants to rip her for not saying anything. - The askonim have endorsed Hochul in this race for "mosidos" "chinuch" etc, but may people rather care now for "crime" "covid/vaccines" etc.

But chasidim in Brooklyn never voted in mass numbers, and now they vote more Republicans, or what they see for their own believes, fueled since Trump's reelection. The askonim/mosidos can cry, but IME, they shot themselves. For years we were told like sheep vote for A, vote for B, they help the mosidos, they help the Rebbe, blah blah, but what did the people get in return? Zlich, nada. Tuition didn't drop with a nickel, and the Transportation charge that I paid monthly was renamed to "miscellaneous fee" (yah know because the city funds the busses), so when they said vote for Adams, I didn't care. On my mind then was vaccines & crime, Adams said he will do a mandate for schools, and Sliwa said he will not do that and will fight crime, so he got my vote (ok not 'mine', as I never voted while living in Brooklyn...)

Let's swing to Lakewood for a moment with the 2021 New Jersey gubernatorial election - never had Lakewood seen such hot election frenzy. We were coming out of Covid, and the VAAD endorsed Murphy, because "Hakaras Hatov" - Haka what? for the lockdowns and copying all Cuomo's stupid mandates? And his campaign tour meant a stop by the top brass, while his opponent Jack Ciattarelli visited the constituents multiples times (yah I know the difference of sitting Governor) and asked the public what they need - 'over with covid' 'fix the MVC' 'widen the Nine" - yah I know campaign promises are bs, but hey Murphy didnt even say that, while he has the power to fix the MVC, and Ciattarelli got my vote, and 60% of Lakewood's block. Murphy entered Election Day with a 10 point lead, and came out with just 2.5% lead, and throughout the night it looked very tight. Many people learned a lesson, the VAAD that their power is over, and had Lakewood come out and vote (turnout was only 37%), the race could have been way more tighter

https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1455908762242461700
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:05:57 PM by chff »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2022, 01:30:44 PM »
It's easy for you to stick your neck out
Nice of you to include the visual for this in the post.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2022, 01:51:16 PM »
Monsey members, who was endorsed?

Offline Square

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2022, 10:43:21 PM »
Monsey members, who was endorsed?

There's no official endorsements yet.