Topic Wiki

Post your absolute favorite surefire recipes below!

Shabbos Food:
Smoked Brisket
Weekday Dairy:
IMPOSIBBLE
Weekday Meat:
Smoked Ribs
Soups:
Smoked turkey soup
Desserts:
Smoker Ashes

Beef Jerky: Click Here to post yours...

Author Topic: Food/Recipe Thread  (Read 456427 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Food/Recipe Thread
« Reply #1920 on: August 23, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »
I'm making a marinade for beef jerkey. What can I replace Worcestershire sauce with (because of the fish)?

Or any recommendations for marinade that doesn't have it?

Thanks
Most kosher brands sell. Also aylor, most cheaper brands list anchovies as an ingredient but it's really a minimal amount and most of the flavor comes from artificial. That's why some have OU fish on it and some have a plain ou. Iirc Jack daniels bbq had the same issue and many poskim allow it in meat

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1921 on: August 23, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
Most kosher brands sell. Also aylor, most cheaper brands list anchovies as an ingredient but it's really a minimal amount and most of the flavor comes from artificial. That's why some have OU fish on it and some have a plain ou. Iirc Jack daniels bbq had the same issue and many poskim allow it in meat

My recollection is that the OU uses a threshold of shishim. There is what to discuss about whether or not that level is adequate for a strong tasting item which is mainly included for taste purposes. On the other hand some only include the anchovies for the "prestige" of it being included in the ingredients. Either way, they would not be batel according to the MGA who says that shishim does not work for sakana.

As an aside, Many years ago I discussed this with R Forscheimer from Lakewood who told me that he wouldn't go and buy such a sauce to use with meat but that if it was bought and couldn't be returned he would use it "with a clear conscience".
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 24, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »
Anyone know how bakeries make their bread/challah so fluffy and that it doesn't get stale for a week+?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 24, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »
Anyone know how bakeries make their bread/challah so fluffy and that it doesn't get stale for a week+?
One way is maltodextrin, something home cooks don't use often. You can buy some, but why add more chemicals to your baked goods when a freezer works just as well?

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 24, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
One way is maltodextrin, something home cooks don't use often. You can buy some, but why add more chemicals to your baked goods when a freezer works just as well?
It doesn't. I put challah in the freezer and take it out friday, by shaloshoodis it's not fresh. Bakery stuff stay fresh for a week. Plus, they have a whole different texture. Much lighter/airy. It's not just the freshness.

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 24, 2020, 01:32:48 PM »
It doesn't. I put challah in the freezer and take it out friday, by shaloshoodis it's not fresh. Bakery stuff stay fresh for a week. Plus, they have a whole different texture. Much lighter/airy. It's not just the freshness.
The texture differences are due to use of industrial equipment
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: August 24, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
So maltodextrin may be what you're looking for. Or a better challah recipe. My current favorite challah recipe actually tastes just great until Sunday night if kept well wrapped.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 24, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
So maltodextrin may be what you're looking for. Or a better challah recipe. My current favorite challah recipe actually tastes just great until Sunday night if kept well wrapped.
What about the texture difference?
It's not just the recipe. It's the method. The challah tastes fine it just doesn't stay fresh nearly as long. And this is for many different recipes of all types of bread ( I've noticed sourdough stays fresh much longer).
And does it taste great till sunday night when it's coming out of the freezer too?
Any idea exactly what's different? Any way to replicate?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 24, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »

What about the texture difference?
It's not just the recipe. It's the method. The challah tastes fine it just doesn't stay fresh nearly as long. And this is for many different recipes of all types of bread ( I've noticed sourdough stays fresh much longer).
And does it taste great till sunday night when it's coming out of the freezer too?Any idea exactly what's different? Any way to replicate?

I make challah and freeze it right away (if I didn't make it on Friday). The texture is great both fresh and frozen (I'm no expert on the chemistry behind it, but I don't think freezing bread weakens the gluten bonds in terms of how chewy it is. Yes, it tastes great when it take it out of the freezer (on Friday) even on Sunday night. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's due to the amount of oil (fat) in challah compared to regular bread which doesn't have as much. When I've made brioche, which has lots of butter, it also stays fresh tasting for longer than a plain bread without fat.

Does your challah recipe call for a lot of fat? Rebbitzen Kanievsky's recipe (which mine is based off of) has a decent amount of oil.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 24, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
If you can make Challah every Friday that should deal with the stale issue.
Did you try freezing raw dough and throwing it into the oven friday afternoon or were you freezing pre baked challos?
How do you store it after defrosting?

Personally I have yet to find a bakery which matches the taste of homemade challah
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 24, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
I have yet to have a homemade water challah.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 24, 2020, 06:36:28 PM »
As an aside, modernist pantry has most chemicals and many are certified by the ou. But on Amazon to avoid shipping charge.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 25, 2020, 12:33:15 PM »
I'm mainly looking to get the texture of a bakery challah. The freshness I think is a byproduct of that. I could be wrong and it's just chemicals, but I still am looking how to get the texture.
I do enjoy fresh homemade challah more than the bakery ones often. But there are times when I want that fluffy softness that I only see in bakery ones. They have an entirely different texture. Especially when it comes to water challah. As ushdadue said
I have yet to have a homemade water challah.
I was just curious if anyone knew what they do different. I find my current challah recipe just fine. It's most probably this
Wondering if there's a way to replicate it.

@Mikes@Micro I store after baking in ziploc in freezer. I find when freezing dough that it doesn't rise well after.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 25, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »
I'm mainly looking to get the texture of a bakery challah. The freshness I think is a byproduct of that. I could be wrong and it's just chemicals, but I still am looking how to get the texture.
I do enjoy fresh homemade challah more than the bakery ones often. But there are times when I want that fluffy softness that I only see in bakery ones. They have an entirely different texture. Especially when it comes to water challah. As ushdadue saidI was just curious if anyone knew what they do different. I find my current challah recipe just fine. It's most probably this  Wondering if there's a way to replicate it.

@Mikes@Micro I store after baking in ziploc in freezer. I find when freezing dough that it doesn't rise well after.
My challah is a water challah and you honestly don't miss the eggs at all. It's very chewy and rich unlike many water challah recipes I've had which are bland and dry.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
My challah is a water challah and you honestly don't miss the eggs at all. It's very chewy and rich unlike many water challah recipes I've had which are bland and dry.
Do you find the texture similar to bakeries or homemade?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
I do enjoy fresh homemade challah more than the bakery ones often. But there are times when I want that fluffy softness that I only see in bakery ones. They have an entirely different texture. Especially when it comes to water challah. As ushdadue saidI was just curious if anyone knew what they do different. I find my current challah recipe just fine. It's most probably this  Wondering if there's a way to replicate it.

it really may just be their proving method.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 25, 2020, 12:38:12 PM »
Do you find the texture similar to bakeries or homemade?
Home made, though I haven't ever run into a situation where I'd prefer bakery texture.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 25, 2020, 12:38:24 PM »
Making sure you're kneading enough, whether by hand or with a mixer, helps the texture. But my experience is that even if you would buy bakery dough and bake it at home it wouldn't come out quite the same.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 25, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »
Making sure you're kneading enough, whether by hand or with a mixer, helps the texture. But my experience is that even if you would buy bakery dough and bake it at home it wouldn't come out quite the same.

maybe they use steam ovens

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 25, 2020, 12:46:40 PM »

maybe they use steam ovens
they also proof it first and use dough conditioners