Author Topic: Lifemiles Award on UA Baggage Fees for CC holder  (Read 957 times)

Offline leaf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Lifemiles Award on UA Baggage Fees for CC holder
« on: October 30, 2022, 07:28:38 PM »
If I pay the taxes and fees of a Lifemiles award flight on United Airlines metal with the United Explorer (or Quest) credit card, will I have free baggage?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Offline leaf

• View Profile
Re: Lifemiles Award on UA Baggage Fees for CC holder
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 01:04:15 AM »
Thanks!
That is not exactly what I'm looking for, but great to know. United is the only airline that forces you to purchase your ticket with a United credit card to get free baggage, so status alone doesn't cut it.
Data point: I checked in online to the United flight (that was purchased with Lifemiles and a United cc for fees), entered the United MileagePlus number, and it allowed online check-in for a free bag!

Offline nucheiner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 05:55:56 PM »
Thanks!
That is not exactly what I'm looking for, but great to know. United is the only airline that forces you to purchase your ticket with a United credit card to get free baggage, so status alone doesn't cut it.
Data point: I checked in online to the United flight (that was purchased with Lifemiles and a United cc for fees), entered the United MileagePlus number, and it allowed online check-in for a free bag!
Another way to confirm this earlier on (before check-in) is to click add/purchase bags in-app. When you click through it should allow you to the add the bags for free up to your allotted amount. @Dan

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 02:39:14 PM »
Here is another important Data Point.
Originally, when booking the LifeMiles award on UA, the Saved Passenger in Lifemiles automatically populated the reservation with the Avianca Lifemiles frequent flier number and information. This was not editable on United.com. Subsequently, when trying to add bags, it wanted to charge. Even after I added this to My Trips, it still did not help.
I went back to Lifemiles.com and was unable to change this.
I then logged out of Lifemiles.com and went to Avianca.com and found the reservation while logged out (via confirmation number alone). I then changed the FF # from Lifemiles to United MileagePlus as Dan suggested.
Then I logged back into United.com and voila, I have free bags associated with the reservation.
Apparently, you need to make sure that the reservation is connected to your UA MP account and not connected to any other account.
(Add-purchase bags is not enough, you need to proactively disassociate other accounts and connect your UA account).

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 08:37:52 AM »
Here is another important Data Point.
Originally, when booking the LifeMiles award on UA, the Saved Passenger in Lifemiles automatically populated the reservation with the Avianca Lifemiles frequent flier number and information. This was not editable on United.com. Subsequently, when trying to add bags, it wanted to charge. Even after I added this to My Trips, it still did not help.
I went back to Lifemiles.com and was unable to change this.
I then logged out of Lifemiles.com and went to Avianca.com and found the reservation while logged out (via confirmation number alone). I then changed the FF # from Lifemiles to United MileagePlus as Dan suggested.
Then I logged back into United.com and voila, I have free bags associated with the reservation.
Apparently, you need to make sure that the reservation is connected to your UA MP account and not connected to any other account.
(Add-purchase bags is not enough, you need to proactively disassociate other accounts and connect your UA account).
Additional DP:
All the benefits work except you will not get on the upgrade list unless you paid taxes with a United card.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 12:19:31 PM »
Additional DP:
All the benefits work except you will not get on the upgrade list unless you paid taxes with a United card.
I was on the upgrade list even though I did not pay the taxes on my United Card (I do have silver status, though).

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 02:45:24 PM »
I was on the upgrade list even though I did not pay the taxes on my United Card (I do have silver status, though).
and I was not so I guess YMMV
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.