Author Topic: FBI: Threat to synagogues in NJ  (Read 3507 times)

Offline onlineshippingdept

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: FBI: Threat to synagogues in NJ
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »
Not a bad idea...but until then.  8)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline Danfan27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2022, 09:32:36 PM »
A theory that I heard Is that the Newark cop shooter from yesterday(now in custody) shared some info. Why else would Newark FBI be issuing this warning?

Online Danlover111

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2022, 09:58:55 PM »
A theory that I heard Is that the Newark cop shooter from yesterday(now in custody) shared some info. Why else would Newark FBI be issuing this warning?
Headquarters are in Newark.

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 11:09:31 PM »
Should like a whatsapp message to me.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2022, 08:05:27 AM »
It’s hard for me to take these warnings seriously when the FBI can’t even name a city where a shul is being targeted or who is making the threat. They want you to believe they uncovered some terrorist group when it’s more likely that some bored 15 year old in Minnesota that called in a bomb threat to “NJ synagogues” for the heck of it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 08:26:11 AM »
It’s hard for me to take these warnings seriously when the FBI can’t even name a city where a shul is being targeted or who is making the threat. They want you to believe they uncovered some terrorist group when it’s more likely that some bored 15 year old in Minnesota that called in a bomb threat to “NJ synagogues” for the heck of it.
It was apparently an online threat. They get those every day. Something made them take this one more seriously than usual.

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 08:28:11 AM »

Was thinking the same. And what makes the criminal to respect state boundaries and not come to NY?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
Still the right thing to do.

You know how much flack they get every attack that had warnings and they didn't do this... They are wrong in those cases and right here. Not like they are ordering shuls to close.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2022, 08:51:13 AM »
Yeah as the hours pass without any communication from the FBI at all (even to law enforcement and politicians who contacted the FBI), this seems more and more like a nothingburger.

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Online Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2022, 09:20:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/thebelaaz/status/1588513108154146816?s=46&t=EzcDg5osUu8Ls7mIKOHa4Q
Ah I guess that would explain lack of information. Still would be nice for more official information

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »
Still the right thing to do.

You know how much flack they get every attack that had warnings and they didn't do this... They are wrong in those cases and right here. Not like they are ordering shuls to close.

It’s nice to send an alert but to word it as a credible threat without further details makes people worry needlessly. Knowing that’s it a threat posted in forum would encourage people to be on high(er) alert without thinking it’s code red.
Visibly Jewish

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2022, 09:47:18 AM »
It’s nice to send an alert but to word it as a credible threat without further details makes people worry needlessly. Knowing that’s it a threat posted in forum would encourage people to be on high(er) alert without thinking it’s code red.
I mean, it's a balance right?

If you say too much the person could know they are onto them and it can expedite an attack. So they made an announcement and it seems they may have caught the guy now. Seems like a huge win to me.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »
I mean, it's a balance right?

If you say too much the person could know they are onto them and it can expedite an attack. So they made an announcement and it seems they may have caught the guy now. Seems like a huge win to me.

I don’t see it that way. If they are worried about the person expediting an attack then making a vague public alert will achieve just as much.
Visibly Jewish

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2022, 10:57:26 AM »
Excerpt from email from the Township of Teaneck earlier today with some additional detail...

Today’s intelligence briefing yielded information that was positive. Yesterday, the FBI Newark field office was in receipt of a lead which detailed an unidentified New Jersey based individual who intended to attack an unspecified Jewish synagogue. That information was immediately relayed to community partners and law enforcement which prompted the increased security around Synagogues and schools.

Since receiving the lead, the FBI identified the subject and interviewed him late yesterday. He expressed radical extremist views and ideology, as well as an extreme amount of hate towards the Jewish community. The FBI has a high level of confidence that this individual is in fact the person who posed this threat. He no longer poses a threat to the community at this time, and there’s no indication of any outstanding threat affiliated with him or this investigation.

It does not appear there are others who pose a threat to synagogues affiliated with this subject of interest. The FBI Joint Terrorism Task remains the lead on this investigation. As the investigation continues, my office will provide updates to the Teaneck community.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2022, 10:59:10 AM »
He is not a threat anymore?
["-"]

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »
He is not a threat anymore?

AKA he's in custody
Visibly Jewish

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2022, 11:09:39 AM »
I don’t see it that way. If they are worried about the person expediting an attack then making a vague public alert will achieve just as much.
I don't think we are working with absolutes here. You say this and that happens or you say that and this happens.

It's a judgement call.

If they posted the guys name, location of attack, other details would it have pushed him, anyone's guess now...

But how they did handle it this time seems like a big win.

Maybe the FBI knows what they are doing, remember they aren't the CDC ;)