Author Topic: Foolproof Election Ideas  (Read 3411 times)

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Foolproof Election Ideas
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 11:39:16 AM »
Developmentaly disabled (as far as i know, the current prefered usage) means exactly the same thing as mentaly retarded.
One's PC, the other isn't.
I guess African American means the same as ni**er? As a nation we try an understand the negative meaning of the words we use. Calling someone a "retard" is not a term of endearment.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2022, 11:52:35 AM »
h
I guess African American means the same as ni**er? As a nation we try an understand the negative meaning of the words we use. Calling someone a "retard" is not a term of endearment.

He didn't call anyone a "retard" to their face an use it as a slur.
He merley described the persons level of intelectual development. The fact that people have decided that using the words "mentaly retarded" to indicate stunted mental development in another person is a slur while saying "developmently disabled" is fine when they gramaticaly mean the same thing = PC

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
h
He didn't call anyone a "retard" to their face an use it as a slur.
He merley described the persons level of intelectual development. The fact that people have decided that using the words "mentaly retarded" to indicate stunted mental development in another person is a slur while saying "developmently disabled" is fine when they gramaticaly mean the same thing = PC
Certain words have negative connotation to them. We should avoid using them. You seem to disagree.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2022, 12:04:15 PM »
Certain words have negative connotation to them. We should avoid using them. You seem to disagree.
   c'mon be honest,you know connotation is all dependant on context
As a nation we try an understand the negative meaning of the words we use. Calling someone a "retard" is not a term of endearment.
neither is calling someone brain damaged a compliment. That doesn't make it less real and important information  in the context of a discussion of safe voting systems .We were discussing the safety or lack thereof of the israeli system. My point was perfectly clear and non insulting to anybody. I know you enjoy a good argument but I believe that you are capable of sometimes backtracking and admitting that you were being ridiculous
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 01:37:12 PM by rbs-g1.5 »

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2022, 12:06:53 PM »
Quote from: The Rebbe link=https://www.chabad.org/therebbe/letters/default_cdo/aid/1924131/jewish/On-the-Use-of-the-Term-Retarded.htm
With regard to Jewish retarded—parenthetically, I prefer some such term as “special” people, not simply as a euphemism, but because it would more accurately reflect their situation, especially in view of the fact that in many cases the retardation is limited to the capacity to absorb and assimilate knowledge, while in other areas they may be quite normal or even above average

ETA: from 1981

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
   c'mon be honest,you know connotation is all dependant on context
I agree 100%. My point is there is no need to use the word with a mostly negative connotation when so many other words are available.

If someone's son had autism, would you ask the parents if their child is retarded? You do not mean it in a negative way but most likely that is how it will be received.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »
I agree 100%. My point is there is no need to use the word with a mostly negative connotation when so many other words are available.

If someone's son had autism, would you ask the parents if their child is retarded? You do not mean it in a negative way but most likely that is how it will be received.

ETA: from 1981
I wouldn't either ask if their son was developmentally challenged. If i was working in a clinic or on anything technical related to taking the condition into account i would use a word that brings the point across best. In this situation the allowance of family members "helping " retarded people to vote not "special " or "challenged ' people is the point i was trying to bring out. Obviously if i was talking to the person himself or you knew who i was talking about ,i would try to find a different way to make the point and if impossible  i just wouldnt say anything.
My point is that all of the PC garbage just makes people beat around the bush instead of saying things as they are

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »
GO!

I am sure we can model them after DPRK - never heard of any issues there. Syrian Arab Republic also comes to mind. 100% foolproof.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »
I am sure we can model them after DPRK - never heard of any issues there. Syrian Arab Republic also comes to mind. 100% foolproof.
lol

and thank you for steering the conversation back OT :)
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible