Author Topic: FBI opens investigation into killing of Shireen Abu Akleh  (Read 16460 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: FBI opens investigation into killing of Shireen Abu Akleh
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »
"unnatural" you have to be joking.

You're so stuck.... It was a very straightforward question. My wording had nothing to do with this specific case. I'm asking for US policy regarding all deaths of US citizens abroad. I'd assume that we don't investigate deaths which occur naturally. I'd also assume that there would be an official policy for investigating any US death which occurs from unnatural causes. Do you happen to know what that policy is?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
You're so stuck.... It was a very straightforward question. My wording had nothing to do with this specific case. I'm asking for US policy regarding all deaths of US citizens abroad. I'd assume that we don't investigate deaths which occur naturally. I'd also assume that there would be an official policy for investigating any US death which occurs from unnatural causes. Do you happen to know what that policy is?
I understood your question fully and don't know the answer. What I am stuck on is 99.99% of the posts slanted one way. Calling it "unnatural" might not have been your intent to slant it one way nevertheless it goes right along with the pattern.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2022, 05:34:55 PM »
How can the soldier possibly have known it was his/her bullet that killed the US citizen?

Because the Israeli investigators figured out that he was most likely the one based on various factors they investigated?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2022, 05:36:22 PM »
I understood your question fully and don't know the answer. What I am stuck on is 99.99% of the posts slanted one way. Calling it "unnatural" might not have been your intent to slant it one way nevertheless it goes right along with the pattern.

You know how when you focus on something so hard, you see it everywhere, even when it's not there? Time to zoom out, buddy.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2022, 05:40:21 PM »
Because the Israeli investigators figured out that he was most likely the one based on various factors they investigated?
What factors? Like she was wearing a vest that said press? Can't use the bullet for ballistics. These are the type of questions that need to be answered.

The reports are also conflicting if a firefight was going on where the US citizen was. Again, we should demand answers to these questions.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2022, 05:41:28 PM »
You know how when you focus on something so hard, you see it everywhere, even when it's not there? Time to zoom out, buddy.
So just about everyone in this thread are not taking one side?

Are you for an independent FBI investigation?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
Them and others. Probably read over 30 articles so far. It wasn't easy, but I found it.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/05/middleeast/idf-shireen-abu-akleh-investigation-intl/index.html

“When the soldier made that decision, it was a blink of a decision,” the official said. “The soldier did not intend to injure an Al Jazeera journalist or [journalist] from any other network.”
“The soldier is sorry, and I am sorry. This was not supposed to happen and it should not happen. He did not do this on purpose,” the official said. ​He did not name the soldier.

So now that raises another question. How can the soldier possibly have known it was his/her bullet that killed the US citizen? Did he/she know because of the press marking on the vest? I really don't know. That is why an investigation is needed. Israel can allow whatever they see fit but the investigation is necessary.

Wait, this quote just as easily be referring to whomever the soldier is who shot her if it was from IDF. Just like he can be sorry so can any soldier in the operation be sorry.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2022, 06:00:43 PM »
So just about everyone in this thread are not taking one side?

Zoom out. My question was on general US policy.

Are you for an independent FBI investigation?

I don't know how many different ways I can answer the same question.... read the thread.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2022, 06:02:12 PM »
Wait, this quote just as easily be referring to whomever the soldier is who shot her if it was from IDF. Just like he can be sorry so can any soldier in the operation be sorry.
Not easily but it can. That is why an investigation is warranted. There are so many unanswered questions.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2022, 06:04:22 PM »
Zoom out. My question was on general US policy.
This thread is all about this case. Not reasonable to take your question in the context of this thread?
You also avoided the question.
I don't know how many different ways I can answer the same question.... read the thread.
Try yes or no?

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Random Posts
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »
How many Israeli soldier have been sent to jail for crimes during this war?
way too many

btw, just curious, can u picture the israeli shabak questioning US soldiers for the death of an israeli citizen killed in crossfire btwn us soldiers and terrorists in iraq?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2022, 06:15:47 PM »
Not easily but it can. That is why an investigation is warranted. There are so many unanswered questions.

Because of the way you are reading a CNN quote of a spokesman?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
Re: Re: Random Posts
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »
way too many

btw, just curious, can u picture the israeli shabak questioning US soldiers for the death of an israeli citizen killed in crossfire btwn us soldiers and terrorists in iraq?
I would hope we would cooperate in any investigation where civilians are killed. Many are/were in jail as a result of those investigations. Heck Trump even pardoned some of them.

I see you asked about being killed during crossfire. Is that what Israel is claiming in this case?

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »
Because of the way you are reading a CNN quote of a spokesman?
Can only go by the info we have.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »
This thread is all about this case. Not reasonable to take your question in the context of this thread?

Take it in whatever context you want. I couldn't have worded my question any clearer. I want to know the official US policy for investigating unnatural deaths of any kind when they occur outside of the US .

Try yes or no?

Like every other person in this thread, except you, apparently, I support an independent FBI investigation which is in line with official US policies and SOPs for cases such as this one.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2022, 06:36:12 PM »
Like every other person in this thread, except you, apparently, I support an independent FBI investigation which is in line with official US policies and SOPs for cases such as this one.
You got that right (except me). I support the investigation of any killing of a US citizen on foreign soil. I don't throw in red herrings or pretzels.

To answer your question, the US has a special division to investigate crimes against US citizens abroad. So it is SOP.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2022, 06:44:17 PM »
Here is the insane part of this twisted logic. Using this insane twisted logic the US should have never investigated the murder of Jamal Khashoggi and just accepted the Saudi's version.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
You got that right (except me). I support the investigation of any killing of a US citizen on foreign soil. I don't throw in red herrings or pretzels.

You can support it all you want, but that doesn't seem to be US policy, no red herrings or pretzels. Per https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime (bold added)
The FBI has the authority to investigate specific violent crimes committed against Americans and American interests overseas, and in some instances, crimes committed by Americans overseas. Those crimes include non-terrorism related hostage-takings and kidnappings, killings and assaults of U.S. federal officers and other internationally-protected individuals, violent crimes on U.S. Government property, and murders of U.S. nationals by other U.S. nationals. Additionally, the FBI investigates crimes aboard aircraft (both domestic and international flights) and crimes on the high seas like piracy and cruise ship violations involving U.S.-affiliated vessels or U.S. persons. The FBI also works to track down U.S. wanted fugitives who flee overseas.

FBI international violent crime investigations are worked collaboratively with our international law enforcement partners, our network of legal attaché offices around the world, and our federal law enforcement partners.

To answer your question, the US has a special division to investigate crimes against US citizens abroad. So it is SOP.

This isn't true, per above. SOP includes much more nuance than just "we have a division that sometimes deals with these things."

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2022, 06:54:21 PM »
Just an FYI, an “independent investigation” on foreign soil is not an independent investigation.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »
Just an FYI, an “independent investigation” on foreign soil is not an independent investigation.

FBI international violent crime investigations are worked collaboratively with our international law enforcement partners, our network of legal attaché offices around the world, and our federal law enforcement partners.