Author Topic: Best Wine for Shalach Manos  (Read 1989 times)

Offline MK Kosher Cert

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best Wine for Shalach Manos
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2024, 10:37:09 AM »
Any suggestions for an article with a brief overview of what us clueless Chutznikim should do with a bottle of Otzar Beis Din wine?

I had a similar situation, but it was Otzar Beis Din. To add to the confusion, it was not mevushal, and there were non-frum people at the table.

Just came across this thread, We at the MK Kosher have been dealing with tis for years. Unfortunately these wines are very common in Canada. For guidelines on how to deal with these wines, see our link: https://mk.ca/israelwines/

The article is about 2015 Shemitah but the situation is mostly the same. One significant difference is that many heimishe store in Lakewood etc. have begun carrying Badatz certified nochri wine, notably Teperberg Moscato.

Online yshad

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2024, 04:11:21 PM »
It's a problem. To drink it is fine until the zman biur (which has passed), and if it wasn't mevuar I heard it is a problem. I'll try to look into it.
It's only a problem if it was "purchased" before the zman biur. If at the zman biur it was still in the possesion of otzar beis din, there is no problem.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2024, 04:24:37 PM »
It's only a problem if it was "purchased" before the zman biur. If at the zman biur it was still in the possesion of otzar beis din, there is no problem.
or you can do biur

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2024, 05:02:10 PM »
How does it get to the US?
Commercially I have no idea, but all it takes is one clueless bachur who picks up a couple of bottles to bring home to his parents...
And honestly, supervision depends on the OBD. There were some this last shmita that sold sorry, distributed their products in regular stores like Osher Ad, while others only did it in special chaluka points, while still others distributed for free to kollelim and yeshivos

I have about 12-18 bottles sitting in my house. I did the biur personaly last year. If I knew less, I would send some to my parents for purim...

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2024, 05:54:54 PM »
How does it get to the US?
Commercially I have no idea, but all it takes is one clueless bachur who picks up a couple of bottles to bring home to his parents...
And honestly, supervision depends on the OBD. There were some this last shmita that sold sorry, distributed their products in regular stores like Osher Ad, while others only did it in special chaluka points, while still others distributed for free to kollelim and yeshivos

I have about 12-18 bottles sitting in my house. I did the biur personaly last year. If I knew less, I would send some to my parents for purim...
"parallel market" imports... Aka black/gray market importers

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2024, 09:14:54 PM »
"parallel market" imports... Aka black/gray market importers

How do they get commercial quantities?

Am I being naïve in thinking that it's distributed in EY to שומרי תומ"צ who wouldn't want to be נכשל ומכשיל?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan