Author Topic: The other side of a price mistake  (Read 4238 times)

Offline mme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
The other side of a price mistake
« on: December 08, 2022, 08:35:55 PM »
Saw this post on LinkedIn  https://www.linkedin.com/posts/isaac-wieder-53a64ab0_help-amazon-activity-7005885884726132736-p2lM/.
It made me think, how ethical is it to take advantage from a price mistake from a seller on Amazon?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: The other side of a price mistake
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
This man lost in two hours what I make in a year and this was his reaction:

Thanks for all who tried to help me and showed me support.
Unfortunately nothing is working as of now and amazon have started brutally grabbing my inventory and fulfilling those loosing orders while charging me hefty fulfillment fees in top of my losses.

I’m feeling like a single person left alone in the sea of corporate stupidity, while no body up in the bureaucracy cares for my screams and tears.
I’m getting crushed between inventory loses to customers and amazon FBA fees, with both sides profiting on my heavy losses.

For now, It’s time to stand up and go on in life, lessons have been learned with a hefty price.

While I’m experiencing the pain and sadness of my losses, I’m thankful to God who gave me the constant courage and support to go on in life. He who gave me the strength to grow to that point, should give me the power to prosper to new heights.

The person I was before this loss, the same person I am after the loss. success and failure isn’t defining me for who I am. My pure being is who I am, and this is something I can’t loose and can’t be taken away.
אלוקי נשמה שנתת בי, אתה בראתֹ… ואתה משמרה בקרבי….
(God you gave me my soul, you create it, and you are protecting it)
Thank you all for the constant support. ❤️

That was his comment in that thread as this was going down, I wish I had his faith and trust in Hashem!

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 03:40:53 AM »
My filter does not allow linked in, can s/o fill me in on what the story was?

Offline BaltimoreMenachem

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:11:54 AM »
My filter does not allow linked in, can s/o fill me in on what the story was?

Initial post in this Linkedin thread was:

Help!!!
A 2 hour price glitch on Amazon is causing me to loose $150K!!!
Amazon seller support is rejecting to help me cancel my pending FBA orders, the orders are still pending, they can still cancel it, I’m literally watching my money go down the drain!
Have you ever experienced something similar? Any tips?
Help!!!!
Please make some noise for me.
#help #amazon

Offline laibaysay

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 11:54:10 PM »
Initial post in this Linkedin thread was:

Help!!!
A 2 hour price glitch on Amazon is causing me to loose $150K!!!
Amazon seller support is rejecting to help me cancel my pending FBA orders, the orders are still pending, they can still cancel it, I’m literally watching my money go down the drain!
Have you ever experienced something similar? Any tips?
Help!!!!
Please make some noise for me.
#help #amazon
You can cancel that order. If you pay through combini but have not paid, then you do not pay, the order will be automatically canceled when payment expires. You don't need to do anything anymore.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 02:58:54 PM »
You can cancel that order. If you pay through combini but have not paid, then you do not pay, the order will be automatically canceled when payment expires. You don't need to do anything anymore.

i think you missed the point. He made a mistake in setting the price his item was selling for on amazon and he is taking a substantial loss as amazon is refusing to cancel the outstanding orders from customers and insisting on fulfilling it at the mistaken price.
This is a double standard because amazon has cancelled their own price mistake orders in the past so why wouldn't they do that for this seller

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 03:12:59 PM »
i think you missed the point. He made a mistake in setting the price his item was selling for on amazon and he is taking a substantial loss as amazon is refusing to cancel the outstanding orders from customers and insisting on fulfilling it at the mistaken price.
This is a double standard because amazon has cancelled their own price mistake orders in the past so why wouldn't they do that for this seller
Probably because it was Amazon Mexico? Though I don't quite follow the storyline.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 03:25:58 PM »
Probably because it was Amazon Mexico? Though I don't quite follow the storyline.
correct.
"No we just priced things too low confusing the price relative to USD while
Charging MXN
Instead of $20 we charged 20 MXN which is equal to $1

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 06:56:44 PM »

It's not limited to Mexico. Amazon doesn't allow/enable sellers to cancel orders shipped through FBA even if it's a clear price mistake.
Visibly Jewish

Offline lakewood34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 07:54:05 AM »

He has items at amazons warehouse and sells them on the amazon website. As a private third party seller he sets the prices and amazon fulfills the orders from the items he had previously sent in to their warehouse .He gets billed a fee for the sale plus a separate fee from amazon for fulfilling the orders. He set a price too low by mistake when he confused the peso and the dollar. The items sold but were not yet fulfilled by amazon. There was in theory a option to cancel all outstanding orders and be saved from the double loss of selling his items below cost plus paying to have them fulfilled on the sale. Amazon refused to cancel the orders and fulfilled the sales at a tremendous loss to this person. As pointed out by yuneeq this policy of refusing to cancel a outstanding sale from a third party seller is even on the american website and i think is hypocritical because they have canceled their own price mistake orders and if they do it themselves why would they not allow a third party seller to do it.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »

Let’s not delude ourselves. Often there is someone shedding copious tears as we grab the “Hurry! Huge price mistake” bargain. Yes, occasionally it is some mega corporation or airline that actually wants to honor the mistake. Often it is an entity that can swallow the loss easily (after firing the hardworking guy responsible for the listing that costed them 500k. After all it’s his fault, right?). But all too often on the other side of the “shipped” email is an individual crying his eyes out as he watches his years parnassa go down the drain while there is nothing he can do about it. Something to really think about before we click.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
For those that don’t sell FBA on Amazon and have a hard time relating to this, imagine you lived in the old country and the local Poritz had some displeasure toward you. To teach you a lesson he forced you to stand outside your home while he announced in the town square that one and all can come and help themselves to anything in your home for the next hour. You are watching, powerless as bedding, jewelry, pots and pans, precious heirlooms, and all your memories are being carted off by the exultant crowds one by one. Your neighbors are all reaching out to their friends and relatives to share the news of the amazing bargain to be had. How would you feel watching the gleeful masses descending upon your home? Sometimes these price mistakes can be very similar.

Offline Abebee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 11:35:14 AM »
For those that don’t sell FBA on Amazon and have a hard time relating to this, imagine you lived in the old country and the local Poritz had some displeasure toward you. To teach you a lesson he forced you to stand outside your home while he announced in the town square that one and all can come and help themselves to anything in your home for the next hour. You are watching, powerless as bedding, jewelry, pots and pans, precious heirlooms, and all your memories are being carted off by the exultant crowds one by one. Your neighbors are all reaching out to their friends and relatives to share the news of the amazing bargain to be had. How would you feel watching the gleeful masses descending upon your home? Sometimes these price mistakes can be very similar.
Not a perfect analogy. There are rules in this old country that are not displeasure toward you but rather rules that apply to everyone. In this county once you advertise something to the public there is no taking it back. You went along and listed that you have a couch to giveaway and instead or writing couch you wrote house (now this county also has safety nets in place, (on FBA called MIN/MAX price) and before you post your ad you can make sure that if something gets listed incorrectly it shouldnt post.

Now, in no way am i saying that this doesn't sting and hurt and its a mistake that can take a lifetime to recover from. But to make it sound like Amazon target him is not the full picture.

Back to the ethics part, from my few years on here, 99% on price mistakes are sold by the Poritz  themselves and they do hold the power to cancel the order. 3rd party seller mistakes are far and few in between on Amazon and on peoples own websites they have full control and do cancel orders all the time.

Take Revel as an example i think they handled it well, let the credits stay active for a period of time and acquire the customers. (uber/Uber eats has given me way more the $400 over the last few years)

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 12:14:39 PM »

Let’s not delude ourselves. Often there is someone shedding copious tears as we grab the “Hurry! Huge price mistake” bargain. Yes, occasionally it is some mega corporation or airline that actually wants to honor the mistake. Often it is an entity that can swallow the loss easily (after firing the hardworking guy responsible for the listing that costed them 500k. After all it’s his fault, right?). But all too often on the other side of the “shipped” email is an individual crying his eyes out as he watches his years parnassa go down the drain while there is nothing he can do about it. Something to really think about before we click.
It's not about who the seller is. If you don't take advantage of the price mistake someone else will so you may as well. A real good hearted person would buy out the whole stock and then return them to save the seller from having other buyer's who are not going to return their orders.
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »
All this assumes you know when it's a PM or a promo.

We thought the 11 cent glue from a Jewish sounding seller was a PM, but we contacted them and they said it was intentional for algorithm purposes and they wanted it to be bought out.

But yes, we rarely post 3p PMs.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DaasTora

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 12:46:41 PM »

We thought the 11 cent glue from a Jewish sounding seller was a PM, but we contacted them and they said it was intentional for algorithm purposes and they wanted it to be bought out.

You actually said it to Nesanel Ganz in your interview and I noticed it too. Impressive!

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 02:08:41 PM »
Once we're at it, maybe a master list of Jewish Amazon sellers is in place.
Can also help when one has an equal choice of where to buy from, you can check the list

Offline DaasTora

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 02:15:50 PM »
Can also help when one has an equal choice of where to buy from, you can check the list
Lots of them don’t want people knowing that.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 02:16:16 PM »
I wonder what @CountValentine thinks of this.

I know Amazon offers this for Black Owned businesses here: https://amzn.to/3VkxvwK
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »

3p?