Author Topic: Learning program for adults incentive  (Read 5557 times)

Offline herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Learning program for adults incentive
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 01:39:18 PM »
"I really should learn something", which she may think is an excuse to get out of doing the dishes (and she is probably right, too).
don't worry, the dirty dishes aren't going anywhere. Just gives a little more time for the cholent pot to soak

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 08:45:09 PM »
Special thank you to @ckmk47 for the very generous donation!
Tzku lmitzvos!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:09:45 PM by herb »

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »
Special thank you to @ckmk47 for her very generous donation!
Tzku lmitzvos!
FTFY.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2022, 10:10:31 PM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2022, 11:49:55 PM »
Some cool gadgets for the house. Roomba, Ring Doorbell, weather station...
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »
Prize #14 in the Oorah Auction or a fraction of it
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2022, 11:56:42 PM »
I run a motzei shabbos kollel for guys to come and learn a Seder after shabbos when it's otherwise hard to make it out of the house. We try to make an enjoyable environment for the guys to learn with some pizza, sushi, fresh brewed coffee, etc... I try to make a raffle at the end for a nice prize of some sort as there is no stipend otherwise. So far we've raffled airpod pros, Nespresso machine, Glenfiddich 21 grand reserve, remote car starter, $300 to a steakhouse....
Looking for other prize ideas you might have (sponsorships available too ;))
Tia
looking for ideas what food to get as well. Although everyone loves pizza and sushi, I think it would be nice to switch things up a little

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2022, 11:59:22 PM »
address please
["-"]

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2023, 12:06:36 AM »
looking for ideas what food to get as well. Although everyone loves pizza and sushi, I think it would be nice to switch things up a little
I think you should be careful with this aspect. You can change it up, but if the food gets too elaborate or exciting, it can take the focus off the learning. It has to be done with tact.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2023, 12:15:45 AM »
I run a motzei shabbos kollel for guys to come and learn a Seder after shabbos when it's otherwise hard to make it out of the house. We try to make an enjoyable environment for the guys to learn with some pizza, sushi, fresh brewed coffee, etc... I try to make a raffle at the end for a nice prize of some sort as there is no stipend otherwise. So far we've raffled airpod pros, Nespresso machine, Glenfiddich 21 grand reserve, remote car starter, $300 to a steakhouse....
Tia

Babysitting service during the shiur

Will get the wives and kids to push the fathers/husbands to go

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2023, 12:23:56 AM »
Perhaps inline with some of the comments above. . . I find the idea of a raffle with prizes as childish and unnecessary to get the for average adult to come out and learn for an hour or so. Tangentially, I find the focus on small stipends for learning (excluding those in kollel/chinuch using it to support their family), the focus on prizes in chinese auctions, etc somewhat distasteful too.

Can't most adults be expected to do something small for Hashem, or at least have the belief He will reward us, without the presence of a shiny prize/incentive dangling in front of us. (And if you personally need the motivation, reward your self with your own incentives, to develop discipline).

Moreover, I guess I wonder if  these incentives might be corrupting our values, and distracting us from focusing on having a stronger/richer relationship with Hashem (a little more lishma)? 

If we (proverbially) put ourselves in Hashem's shoes for a moment . . . . , How would we value an act of modest sacrifice/dedication done for us, by a loved one, if done without any promise of incentive, vs. one done for us motivated by a defined external shiny incentive? 

Rachmana Liba Bo'ee.

P.s. I once spoke to an expert mechanech about how to make sure contests/prizes for children build intrinsic motivation over the long-term rather than a focus on the prizes and rewards. He said the prizes should not be so large as to become the main focus in the child's mind, just the sweetner to help get over the hurdles.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:29:36 AM by David61 »

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2023, 12:53:41 AM »
Perhaps inline with some of the comments above. . . I find the idea of a raffle with prizes as childish and unnecessary to get the for average adult to come out and learn for an hour or so. Tangentially, I find the focus on small stipends for learning (excluding those in kollel/chinuch using it to support their family), the focus on prizes in chinese auctions, etc somewhat distasteful too.

Can't most adults be expected to do something small for Hashem, or at least have the belief He will reward us, without the presence of a shiny prize/incentive dangling in front of us. (And if you personally need the motivation, reward your self with your own incentives, to develop discipline).

Moreover, I guess I wonder if  these incentives might be corrupting our values, and distracting us from focusing on having a stronger/richer relationship with Hashem (a little more lishma)? 

If we (proverbially) put ourselves in Hashem's shoes for a moment . . . . , How would we value an act of modest sacrifice/dedication done for us, by a loved one, if done without any promise of incentive, vs. one done for us motivated by a defined external shiny incentive? 

Rachmana Liba Bo'ee.

P.s. I once spoke to an expert mechanech about how to make sure contests/prizes for children build intrinsic motivation over the long-term rather than a focus on the prizes and rewards. He said the prizes should not be so large as to become the main focus in the child's mind, just the sweetner to help get over the hurdles.
I cannot disagree. Halvei everyone was holding on such a level. facts are that even a guy who was planning on learning, at a time when it's hard to get out of the house, guys end up getting busy with nothing and don't necessarily make it to their local shul. We all know how well the "learning at the dining room table" goes. This is just an extra push to make sure it actually happens. That's besides the guys that come that would not be learning otherwise. mitoch shelo lishma ba lishma

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2023, 01:01:11 AM »
I cannot disagree. Halvei everyone was holding on such a level. facts are that even a guy who was planning on learning, at a time when it's hard to get out of the house, guys end up getting busy with nothing and don't necessarily make it to their local shul. We all know how well the "learning at the dining room table" goes. This is just an extra push to make sure it actually happens. That's besides the guys that come that would not be learning otherwise. mitoch shelo lishma ba lishma
You are both right. That's why hakol lefi hainyan.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »

www.chabad.org/2095

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2023, 10:20:55 AM »
Tia
where is this, btw?

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2023, 11:19:36 AM »
where is this, btw?
15 Delaware trail Lakewood NJ

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2023, 11:22:20 AM »
15 Delaware trail Lakewood NJ
mordys shteibel

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2023, 11:24:14 AM »
mordys shteibel
yes we couldn't find another shul that was available that time as most places have avos ubonim. But would love to find a more central location

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
Taking everything that everyone said into account you can have a choice of prizes that the winner can privately choose and therefore get all types of people to come while not taking away from the lishma aspect of the ones who are more l'shem shamayim.
For example: prize for one week can be the choice of a ready made meat platter for shabbos or a $180 gift card to the local judaica store, and if the guy wants, he doesnt have to take any prize. his pick in private.
Another ma'aleh would be that no one would no what was picked and therefore the crowd wouldn't be so focused on it.

As an aside, when i used to run a learning program, i used to raise money for bonuses for yom tov and therefore "everybody won" including the spouses. Even a  100-180 dollars goes a long way.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2023, 07:14:43 PM »
yes we couldn't find another shul that was available that time as most places have avos ubonim. But would love to find a more central location
What time is this learning program? Is it current “Yeshiva kollel” guys? “Past but still Yeshiva kollel” guys? Mainstream bala batim? Midlife crises guys? Is a chaveusa encouraged or doesn’t matter?