Author Topic: Rally in Washington 11/14/23  (Read 54428 times)

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rally in Washington 11/14/23
« Reply #1000 on: February 10, 2024, 10:19:42 PM »
The intense euphoria of joining in the rally and the surety that it was worth all cost to participate in what was surely pikuch nefesh of Klal Yisrael carried the moment.

The "pikuach nefesh" aspect of it was like the pikuach nefesh level of Naftali Bennet's flight on shabbos to Moscow to bring peace in the Russia-Ukraine war.

Offline Definitions2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 10, 2024, 10:29:42 PM »
How do you know the learning is going strong because of eretz Yisroel? Is there a difference between now and before that is measurable?

The people (you're referring to) that went there have a certain outlook on life. The yeshivish people have it different. I'll leave it up to you to explain the two of seventy ways of the Torah.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 10, 2024, 10:39:39 PM »
How do you know the learning is going strong because of eretz Yisroel? Is there a difference between now and before that is measurable?

The people (you're referring to) that went there have a certain outlook on life. The yeshivish people have it different. I'll leave it up to you to explain the two of seventy ways of the Torah.
Those who went on the guidance of their daas torah were absolutely correct for doing so. Anyone who says otherwise has serous deficiencies in his hashkafa. I’m specifically referring to those quoted upthread who werent content with just going; they insisted on maligning the yeshiva olams course of action.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 10, 2024, 10:49:22 PM »
I don't think the OP was trying to minimize the actions of those here who attended the rally. I think he was simply trying to point something about about those (non-DDFers) who were bashing the yeshiva community.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1004 on: February 10, 2024, 11:27:51 PM »
Those who went on the guidance of their daas torah were absolutely correct for doing so. Anyone who says otherwise has serous deficiencies in his hashkafa. I’m specifically referring to those quoted upthread who werent content with just going; they insisted on maligning the yeshiva olams course of action.
We're back to this again? Didn't we determine that the problem people had here was with the last-minute pullout?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 11, 2024, 05:51:41 AM »
The olam hayeshivos took quite a bit of heat for not joining forces for the rally.They and their leadership were accused of being out of touch, callous, uncaring about the tzara facing Klal Yisrael. The intense euphoria of joining in the rally and the surety that it was worth all cost to participate in what was surely pikuch nefesh of Klal Yisrael carried the moment. The incredulous position of the bnei yeshiva choosing to learn and say Tehillim instead of joining forces in Washington was scorned, mocked, and belittled.

As we approach the 3 month mark after the rally it seems like those who were calling the rally pikuach nefesh and lambasting the yeshivas for not caring about the tzar of acheinu B’nei Yisrael are to a large degree coming off vacationing in relaxing, often luxurious locations all over the world. Massive Super Bowl parties with hookah bars, boards, and all the accessories are all the talk right now in the circles that I’m familiar with. Yes there are some  Tehillim chats and call ins. Some donations to causes in Israel. Still business as usual is a pretty apt description. This as enormous pressure is being brought on Israel to curtail military operations, and the U.S. is on the cusp of declaring a Palestinian state.

For those maligned yeshiva guys it is also business as usual- they are still steadfastly plugging away at their learning, with perhaps an added Yom Kippur kotton, and Tehillim. I don’t think it’s hard to figure out which of the two is more intertwined with the war effort and helping to address the tzara faced by our brothers in Eretz Yisrael. “Long-term consistency trumps short-term intensity.” — Bruce Lee
Since you seem to know everything, can you please explain the large portions of 'central Jersey' (TR, Jackson, etc) who did not participate in the rally but are coming back from their tone-deaf luxurious vacation and are having tone-deaf luxurious parties today?

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 11, 2024, 08:15:46 AM »
Since you seem to know everything, can you please explain the large portions of 'central Jersey' (TR, Jackson, etc) who did not participate in the rally but are coming back from their tone-deaf luxurious vacation and are having tone-deaf luxurious parties today?
It was the “tone-deaf luxurious vacations and  tone-deaf luxurious parties” coming from some of the people with the loudest mouths and the most righteous indignation back by the rally that prompted my OP.

To be sure there are people out there who fit the bill of the Rav Yaakov Galinsky character who was seen eating heartily on Taanis Esther. When asked to explain himself he explained that he gave much thought and came to the conclusion that Haman was right about the Jews so there was no reason to fast. When he was seen later that night gorging himself at a Purim party he mumbled that after further thought he had changed his mind. Profound philosopher, or glutton? I don’t think there is a need to explain the position of the people you are describing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 08:41:41 AM by jye »