Topic Wiki

I’d be wary though, [Kehos has] been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Yada yada yada

It’s pretty clear that my op was unnecessarily incendiary and provocative, it also did not account for who was קהת in that timeframe (which I had been unaware).
Because I brought it up I should say this: It’s clear that the allegations about the כתבי יד are unsubstantiated, and are thus conspiratorial.

« Last edited by Dan on January 13, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »

Author Topic: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery  (Read 46436 times)

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »
It would be foolish and against Torah values for me to attempt to attempt to "rate" the gedoie haposkim. Suffice to say that they are all anoshim gedolim that we can all learn much from. I understand a chasid may have a particuler affinity for the seforim of his rebbe but what good can come out of trying to pinpoint out a "rating" of one great sefer vs another on a public foroum?

For that matter, what good can come out of rehashing a machlokis that enveloped klal yisroel 200 years ago? Suffice to say that there were great people on both sides and it was a machlokis lsheim shomayim. Lets not be like Korach, lets move on from what divides us and focus on so much more of what unites us.

My question was was actually based on this very premise, is it simply because of your point in your first paragraph or was it more rooted in not adhering to the beautiful point you're making in your second paragraph. וד׳׳ל

Online imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
My question was was actually based on this very premise, is it simply because of your point in your first paragraph or was it more rooted in not adhering to the beautiful point you're making in your second paragraph. וד׳׳ל
No and it’s ridiculous to think so

Online zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2022, 12:52:26 PM »
It’s indicative of his unabashed feelings of the litvash in general.

No, it's indicative of his academic cynicism with which he wrote about everything and everyone.

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
I’m an admirer of Rabbi Baruch Oberlander prior to this btw. Here he is in his הערות on רב שלום דובבער לוין

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2022, 06:44:07 PM »

Offline lubavitcher

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »
for those that want this in manuscript form:
2 manuscripts from the Rebbe's library that say "ואינה תשובה".

manuscript of piskei dinim form 5622, 22 years before the above debated first print.

https://chabadlibrary.org/catalog/index1.php?frame=main&catalog=mscatalog&mode=details&volno=247&limit=0&field=TAPY&search=%D7%A4%D7%A1%D7%A7%D7%99&search_mode=simple

page 38

manuscript of פסקי דינים [date unknown]

https://chabadlibrary.org/catalog/index1.php?frame=main&catalog=mscatalog&mode=details&volno=3203&limit=0&field=TAPY&search=%D7%A4%D7%A1%D7%A7%D7%99&search_mode=simple

page 27

these sources were printed in the הערות הממו"ל of the 5752 edition of tzemach tzedek.

next time please check the facts before you throw allegations that a נשיא בישראל believed and told over false facts.

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2023, 10:12:31 AM »
for those that want this in manuscript form:
2 manuscripts from the Rebbe's library that say "ואינה תשובה".

manuscript of piskei dinim form 5622, 22 years before the above debated first print.

https://chabadlibrary.org/catalog/index1.php?frame=main&catalog=mscatalog&mode=details&volno=247&limit=0&field=TAPY&search=%D7%A4%D7%A1%D7%A7%D7%99&search_mode=simple

page 38
Thank you!

Though I’m bewildered why I’m being accused of “not checking the facts”, when I’ve been asking for information about them, and why absurdly I’m being accused of “making an accusation”, when I’m discussing someone else’s accusation, while referencing the fact that the claim is the manuscript supports it, and requested more information about it.

Touché?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2023, 10:16:10 AM »

next time please check the facts before you throw allegations that a נשיא בישראל believed and told over false facts.

Nothing to do with checking facts beforehand.

Throwing "allegations that a נשיא בישראל believed and told over false facts" indicates that some serious introspection is urgently due!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2023, 10:22:59 AM »
Thou shall not even question, nor be interested in supporting documentation, about a פולמוס that was famous in it’s time and hasn’t quite died down, about the deletion of a the words “holy” in regards to the words of the Gra, reported at the time to be based in part on third hand stories, and an assertion the the tzemach tzedek would never say “holy” about the גר״א  ::)

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2023, 10:25:31 AM »
Thou shall not even question, nor be interested in supporting documentation, about a פולמוס that was famous in it’s time and hasn’t quite died down, about the deletion of a the words “holy” in regards to the words of the Gra, reported at the time to be based in part on third hand stories, and an assertion the the tzemach tzedek would never say “holy” about the גר״א  ::)
that last live is (your) interpretation

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »
Throwing "allegations that a נשיא בישראל believed and told over false facts" indicates that some serious introspection is urgently due!
I would absolutely disagree with this. Gedoley yisroel are mortal, and have believed things that aren’t necessarily true.

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »
that last live is (your) interpretation
In the letter to רב אברהם חן that’s not what was said? Or was that from someone else?

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2023, 10:29:05 AM »
Debating versions of manuscripts may not be an allegation, but "be wary of them, they have been known to tamper" when "they" is a נשיא בישראל, Is taking someone else's research a step into allegation territory

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2023, 10:30:28 AM »
In the letter to רב אברהם חן that’s not what was said? Or was that from someone else?
he says the language speaks for itself,not what it is saying.
My own understanding there is different

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2023, 10:32:21 AM »
he says the language speaks for itself,not what it is saying.
My own understanding there is different
That is not what he says at all!!
Doesn’t it sound like from this letter that the content very much played a role here?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2023, 10:35:09 AM »

נשיא בישראל .

Not sure what this is nowadays
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2023, 10:35:32 AM »
Debating versions of manuscripts may not be an allegation, but "be wary of them, they have been known to tamper" when "they" is a נשיא בישראל, Is taking someone else's research a step into allegation territory
Fair enough!
“They” though was referring to קהת though at that point in the conversation, I’d word it differently when directly talking about Gedolim.

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2023, 10:40:40 AM »
I'm not sure what you're seeing.

To translate: just like R'Chaim could say "there's no such Rambam" because it doesn't match the style of the Rambam he knows.
So too, anyone who is familiar with the T"T confidence in Torah matters, as evidenced by how he addresses [even] the opinion of his esteemed grandfather [when he understood otherwise?]
I. E. The shock is not that he called him holy, but that he blindly accepted an opinion he disagreed with
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 10:45:18 AM by gozalim »

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2023, 10:42:43 AM »

I am not faulting you specifically, as I have seen this time and again, all the way from teenagers to people who are old enough to have been in Shanghai during WW2. So I must say it seems like a hashkafic worm that has been allowed to penetratre deeply in certain circles. Said worm can only have two possible roots: extreme arrogance, or שנאת חינם.

Being able to claim (in a self-fulfilling prophecy, while claiming innocence) that a "a פולמוס that was famous in it’s time and hasn’t quite died down", when someone actually took the time and effort to reach out to the individual responsible for Kehos, who gave a definite rebuttal to the allegations, is an expression of said worm that keeps on resurfacing in various forms.  Do you also claim that there was a famous פולמוס whether בערב כל אדם יטו ויקראו or כל אדם קורא כדרכו that never died down? After all both sides are probably brought up all over the world on a daily basis.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
I'm not sure what you're seeing.

To translate: just like R'Chaim could say "there's no such Rambam" because it doesn't match the style of the Rambam he knows.
So too, anyone who is familiar with the T"T confidence in Torah matters, as evidenced by how he addresses [even] the opinion of his esteemed grandfather [when he understood otherwise?]
I. E. The shock is not that he called him holy, but that he blindly accepted an opinion he disagreed with
I. E. The shock is not that he called him holy, but that he allegedly blindly accepted an opinion he disagreed with