Topic Wiki

I’d be wary though, [Kehos has] been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Yada yada yada

It’s pretty clear that my op was unnecessarily incendiary and provocative, it also did not account for who was קהת in that timeframe (which I had been unaware).
Because I brought it up I should say this: It’s clear that the allegations about the כתבי יד are unsubstantiated, and are thus conspiratorial.

« Last edited by Dan on January 13, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »

Author Topic: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery  (Read 45843 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery
« Reply #780 on: January 23, 2023, 12:19:22 PM »
Doesn’t sound like it from the tshuva

another anonymous quote, though from context I'd assume this is a sefer of the C"C?

at what point in time?

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 23, 2023, 12:49:33 PM »
another anonymous quote, though from context I'd assume this is a sefer of the C"C?

at what point in time?
That one is (שו״ת אורח חיים סימן טו(ב. It is undated.

This one in סימן קצ״ז is dated תקע״ח

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 23, 2023, 12:51:53 PM »
Thanks.
And this rumor that he allegedly did feel he had reached that knowledge is from what time period?

in any case, these quotes are much more relevant to that story than any random quotes about chassidim in general...

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 23, 2023, 12:56:11 PM »
Thanks.
And this rumor that he allegedly did feel he had reached that knowledge is from what time period?
I don’t know what you refer to. I’m not aware of such a rumor.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2023, 12:57:46 PM »
I don’t know what you refer to. I’m not aware of such a rumor.
I heard from my grandfather (I am not sure who he heard this from) that the Chofetz Chaim stated that he would become Chassidish and take on Nusach Sfard etc., if not for Derech Eretz for his parents.
this comment from @yelped

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2023, 01:03:09 PM »
That one is (שו״ת אורח חיים סימן טו(ב. It is undated.

This one in סימן קצ״ז is dated תקע״ח

R'Hershele Liska (for you misnagdim, should be known as the Chavrusa and close friend of the Kitzur Shulchan Aruch and the Maraham Ash ;) ) writes that הא גופא is a ראיה that Nusach Sfard is correct, being that Hashem only sent the Ari and not anyone else for Nusach Ashkenaz.

In any case, everyone agrees that the only changes that should be done are ones that the Ari was megale to us and no other deviations from Ashkenaz minhag should be done.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2023, 01:03:27 PM »
this comment from @yelped
Sorry bit of a miscommunication here. The above quotes are from the חתם סופר. Missed your “c”c”.

As for the chofetz chaim, I do not think there is any validity to the claim. It was part of a story where he wanted to become chassidesh, which is too unbelievable to be true based on what his son says about his general views on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:16:54 PM by imayid2 »

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2023, 10:03:08 PM »
AR niggun in shul of תלמידי הגר"א

https://twitter.com/mkystatus/status/1617539376145203206
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 18, 2023, 08:04:26 AM »
There seems to be an attitude here that it is impossible that the hisnagdus contributed anything to the Chassidim.
I just wish to post this story from the Sefer Doleh Umashkeh - stories that were told by Reb Mordechai Dovid Cohen, close Talmid of the Satmar Rav.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 18, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »
There seems to be an attitude here that it is impossible that the hisnagdus contributed anything to the Chassidim.
I just wish to post this story from the Sefer Doleh Umashkeh - stories that were told by Reb Mordechai Dovid Cohen, close Talmid of the Satmar Rav.

Welcome to the forums. No better thread to debut :)

I don’t see how it shows hisnagdus “contributing” anything, just that it was מן השמים. It’s designed to feed the narrative that there was nothing legitimate about the hisnagdus and orchestrated by heaven for whatever reason.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #790 on: December 18, 2023, 09:02:19 AM »

How does this show any contribution any more than any other eis tzorah that is min hashamiyim?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 18, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
How does this show any contribution any more than any other eis tzorah that is min hashamiyim?

You missed the last line. It was the malach M"TT, not the S"M. This concept was very standard in circles other than Lubavitch that some were designed to contribute to yiddishkeit outside the realm of chassidus. There are other anecdotes to that effect, including from the Magid and the Yesod V'shoresh H'avodah.

Btw, Shinover Rov's yahrtzeit today. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #792 on: December 18, 2023, 11:27:32 AM »
You missed the last line. It was the malach M"TT, not the S"M. This concept was very standard in circles other than Lubavitch that some were designed to contribute to yiddishkeit outside the realm of chassidus.
I can't imagine why in Chabad, where mesira from misnagdim led to prison and death sentences starting from the Alter Rebbe on down, wouldn't see the hisnagdus as something that contributed positively to chassidus.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 18, 2023, 03:47:25 PM »
I can't imagine why in Chabad, where mesira from misnagdim led to prison and death sentences starting from the Alter Rebbe on down, wouldn't see the hisnagdus as something that contributed positively to chassidus.

No question about that.

I don’t see how it shows hisnagdus “contributing” anything, just that it was מן השמים.

True, that piece doesn't show hisnagdus contributing, but it shows how the Boruch Taam's hisnagdus was perceived by the Apter Rov, not that it was unfortunate that he remained a misnaged, but that's how it was intended to be.

It’s designed to feed the narrative that there was nothing legitimate about the hisnagdus and orchestrated by heaven for whatever reason.

Yup, the Shinover Rov and the Satmar Rov were both notoriously famous for their fabricating stories in order to push the chassidus agenda. 

Offline Unusual

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 18, 2023, 03:49:16 PM »
I guess it will have to stay a Machlokes between Dan and the Apter Rav.

On a more serious note, you are right that the hisnagdus was more painful to Chabad than to other places, but pain does not mean non-beneficial. The Apter Rav, and perhaps the Tzemach Tzedek, believed that there was something positive to it, Chassidus benefited from it.

Personally, I feel that the interconnectedness of Klal Yisroel means that all gain from each other, and that is something to be proud of. I cannot imagine a world of Galicaner Poskim without a Sefardishe Maharit, or Litvishe Gedolim without a Shulchan Aruch Harav, or anyone without an Italian Mesilas Yesharim. We all need each other.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: December 18, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
::)

perhaps the Tzemach Tzedek
Prove it from Chabad sources please.

Personally, I feel that the interconnectedness of Klal Yisroel means that all gain from each other, and that is something to be proud of. I cannot imagine a world of Galicaner Poskim without a Sefardishe Maharit, or Litvishe Gedolim without a Shulchan Aruch Harav, or anyone without an Italian Mesilas Yesharim. We all need each other.
100%!
But please don't preach to Chabad about how great it was to go through the trauma of having the majority of our leaders sentenced to prison and death. We can still call a spade a spade and not justify mesira and baseless hatred.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 18, 2023, 04:00:07 PM »

On a more serious note, you are right that the hisnagdus was more painful to Chabad than to other places, but pain does not mean non-beneficial. The Apter Rav, and perhaps the Tzemach Tzedek, believed that there was something positive to it, Chassidus benefited from it.

In the name of Unity.
The Tzemach Tzedek's grandchildren and ממלאי מקום denied the quote. and the premise.

of course there is much for us all to learn from each other. there are valuable insights from ספרי הגר"א on all parts of torah. and Chabad is the first to argue that the existence of a hisnagdus paralleled a מניעה מלמעלה to the התפשטות החסידות (which יט כסלו resolved)
But the חסידים הראשונים needed no saving, and were not short on lomdus in any way, least of all that which the מוסרים claimed.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 18, 2023, 04:01:24 PM »
Yup, the Shinover Rov and the Satmar Rov were both notoriously famous for their fabricating stories in order to push the chassidus agenda.
Stories aren’t maliciously fabricated, they evolve and are adopted in forms that portray a certain narrative.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #798 on: December 18, 2023, 04:05:27 PM »
::)
Prove it from Chabad sources please.
100%!
But please don't preach to Chabad about how great it was to go through the trauma of having the majority of our leaders sentenced to prison and death. We can still call a spade a spade and not justify mesira and baseless hatred.

There is a long distance between saying that there was a benefit from the misnagdim to saying that it was great for them to have been sentenced to prison or death.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 18, 2023, 04:09:33 PM »
But the חסידים הראשונים needed no saving, and were not short on lomdus in any way, least of all that which the מוסרים claimed.
The accusations (in this area) weren’t about “being short on lomdus” as in not learning enough עיון and focusing on bekious. The problem were much more serious, as in minimizing the importance of לימוד התורה בכלל. This has been demonstrated to have been true, in their own words, up thread.

Here is another one not yet mentioned which no doubt contributed to the sefer being allegedly burned in Vilna