Topic Wiki

I’d be wary though, [Kehos has] been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Yada yada yada

It’s pretty clear that my op was unnecessarily incendiary and provocative, it also did not account for who was קהת in that timeframe (which I had been unaware).
Because I brought it up I should say this: It’s clear that the allegations about the כתבי יד are unsubstantiated, and are thus conspiratorial.

« Last edited by Dan on January 13, 2023, 10:09:03 AM »

Author Topic: (False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery  (Read 46421 times)

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
(False) Accusations Of Kehot Forgery
« on: December 29, 2022, 02:13:17 PM »
3 - The text was corrected based on early prints and kisvei yad.
I’d be wary though, they’ve been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:15:44 AM by Dan »

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Ask a Lubavitcher Anything
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »
Is there a compelling reason to buy the Kehos SA Harav instead of the Oz Vihodor?

This shouldn't even be a question. Just take a look in both for 3 minutes in a sugya you're heimish.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »
Since there is no Ask a Litvak Anything thread yet I'll just ask it here. How prevalent is learning SA H'Rav amongst Litvaks? Does the average learner going through in depth the Rav after learning the siman thoroughly?

Online yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 03:27:39 PM »
Since there is no Ask a Litvak Anything thread yet I'll just ask it here. How prevalent is learning SA H'Rav amongst Litvaks? Does the average learner going through in depth the Rav after learning the siman thoroughly?
No, although now with the SA"H in the back of new Tur-sh"a It's referenced slightly more often.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »
No, although now with the SA"H in the back of new Tur-sh"a It's referenced slightly more often.

I wonder why that is. On Orach Chaim it should probably be the most basic sefer alongside Mshn'b. One of the most phenomenal halacha works ever created. 

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 03:47:00 PM »

Like any of the other gedoli achronim such as the Aruch Hashulchan, the Chayei Adom etc. It's frequently quoted by the Mishna Brurah which is where I would usually bump into it. When going through an inyan in halacha I would say it's one of the addresses to be seen.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »
they’ve been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative

This is a major accusation to be throwing out without backing it up. Do you mind sharing details of the claim?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 04:08:25 PM »
This is a major accusation to be throwing out without backing it up. Do you mind sharing details of the claim?
See footnote 14
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=46426&st=&pgnum=784

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
See footnote 14
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=46426&st=&pgnum=784
He seems to claim
הוא מרבה להביא את הגר״א בפסקיו ותשובותיו....תמיד מביאו בדרך כבוד,
and then cites the one controversial example. Perhaps in the footnote he brought more examples, I didn't read the whole thing, but why not just look at one of the numerous other places that the Gr"a is referenced? Why would kehos only change that example?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 04:59:01 PM »
He seems to claim
הוא מרבה להביא את הגר״א בפסקיו ותשובותיו....תמיד מביאו בדרך כבוד,
and then cites the one controversial example. Perhaps in the footnote he brought more examples, I didn't read the whole thing, but why not just look at one of the numerous other places that the Gr"a is referenced? Why would kehos only change that example?
That’s sort of his whole point. He’s basically saying that they are unaware of the respect according numerous times, and absurdly tampered with this one because they couldn’t stomach it.

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 05:07:40 PM »
That’s sort of his whole point. He’s basically saying that they are unaware of the respect according numerous times, and absurdly tampered with this one because they couldn’t stomach it.

But all the other times they could stomach when reprinting Tzemach Tzedek?

Basically what I think I'm trying to say is does the T"T actually reference the Gr"a multiple times bderech kavod as claimed?
If yes, it's strange that kehos could stomach all the other times and this one not because of their great "kvod rabbom"?
If no, then why is he saying the T"T did?

Either way the other version in the footnote seems more believable. But perhaps I am missing something and as noted I didn't read the whole footnote.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:22:06 PM by dm123 »

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 05:22:11 PM »
the footnote quotes their response.
in any case this purported change was in a much earlier edition, not the recent kehos update
(If Oz Vehadar has the other version than htat's the only modern version with it)

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 06:59:15 PM »
Like any of the other gedoli achronim such as the Aruch Hashulchan, the Chayei Adom etc. It's frequently quoted by the Mishna Brurah which is where I would usually bump into it. When going through an inyan in halacha I would say it's one of the addresses to be seen.

Clearly you haven't learn it in depth yet, and it's impossible to appreciate it without going in full depth. I'm a nothing to even try to praise his work but the fact is that he writes like a Rishon, where every single word is meticulously measured and phrased which requires utmost analyzation. The Mshn'b brings some of his psakim in Halacha, but only by learning it inside you get to see how every Halacha is tackled from the שורש, how he's navigating and cutting through the various shitos and putting them all in order with laser sharp precession, usually giving a whole new understanding for each shitah. For that reason he very often changes the sequence of the Halachas from the order that the Mechaber wrote the סעיפים. When one learns a sugya thoroughly and learns the SA H'Rav afterwards he simply becomes astonished how it is הדברים מאירים ושמחים כנתינתן מסיני.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 07:04:38 PM »
Clearly you haven't learn it in depth yet, and it's impossible to appreciate it without going in full depth. I'm a nothing to even try to praise his work but the fact is that he writes like a Rishon, where every single word is meticulously measured and phrased which requires utmost analyzation. The Mshn'b brings some of his psakim in Halacha, but only by learning it inside you get to see how every Halacha is tackled from the שורש, how he's navigating and cutting through the various shitos and putting them all in order with laser sharp precession, usually giving a whole new understanding for each shitah. For that reason he very often changes the sequence of the Halachas from the order that the Mechaber wrote the סעיפים. When one learns a sugya thoroughly and learns the SA H'Rav afterwards he simply becomes astonished how it is הדברים מאירים ושמחים כנתינתן מסיני.
I think you're misreading. You asked 'how prevalent is learning SA H'Rav amongst Litvaks?' and he's giving his answer. Not an opinion on the sefer compare to others.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 07:12:29 PM »
I think you're misreading. You asked 'how prevalent is learning SA H'Rav amongst Litvaks?' and he's giving his answer. Not an opinion on the sefer compare to others.

Ah.. I misread it as a response to my follow up question;

I wonder why that is. On Orach Chaim it should probably be the most basic sefer alongside Mshn'b. One of the most phenomenal halacha works ever created.

Which now remains unanswered.

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »
Is there a centralized likut of all places that the Alter Rebbe paskended differently as a later date then what is paskened in Shulchan Orech Harav?
קונטרס הסדור של הג"ר אברהם חיים נאה

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 07:25:34 PM »
I’d be wary though, they’ve been accused of tampering with the text of when it doesn’t fit with their narrative, for example when the צמח צדק spoke with “too much” respect about the גר”א.
Source?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »

He leaves out the most significant part of the letter responding to Rav Hutner, and distorts the argument.

He claims the response is "the Tzemach Tzedek would never say that about the GR"A." The actual argument is that "those words are not the way the Tzemach Tzedek spoke in general."

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 07:42:21 PM »
I wonder why that is.

In part because it was not available widely (enough). Kehos was the only ones who printed it, and until this new version it was a very unclear print.