Author Topic: Israel 12/27/22-1/4/23  (Read 4100 times)

Offline itreu001

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Israel 12/27/22-1/4/23
« on: January 06, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »
Hi again, We were just in Israel for a week, and I am posting this to share our experience with others to pay forward. I hope that this is helpful.

We had a family wedding scheduled for a Thursday night in New Years weekend in Israel. Tickets and hotels were insanely expensive because of the time of the year.

We found a one day glitch in United nonstop prices to EWR for $1200 a ticket rt. We also had another unused united credit from covid that was running out so it was a no-brainer. We took the 4pm flight from EWR to TLV. We purchased extra legroom using CC credits on various Platinum cards both ways.

We have TSA-Precheck and Global Entry and Clear (All through cc) and sailed right through security in Newark (5 minutes). We brought food with us to eat while we waited.

Checkin was decent for an Israel flight, we got bulkhead seats (and paid extra) for extra extra legroom. We would not do it again. United's policy is that unless you have every single seat in the bulkhead they will put a baby there. Also, there was a family there who did not know how to behave and harassed everyone in the seats for hours on the flight to move their seats and intentionally misbehaved to bother everyone. Ordinarily all of us would have complained but it would have been a massive chillul hashem and reflected badly on us, even though that family acted intentionally, their sleeping baby was the best behaved of all of them.

Food on the flight was Fresko, which was good for a kosher meal (with the fresh b&w cookie), with a dinner and a breakfast (eggs) before landing.

We waited an hour in TLV to get through security. They were just slow, and eventually some random guy came over to us in line, gave us a paper and told us we can go.

Welcome to Israel!

Car rental in Israel has changed again.

All rental pickups are now in the terminal and the cars are in the terminal. The prices are insane and fluctuate daily. We used Noach Car and they got us a cheaper prices a week before we went, which was $200 less than quoted. Even though we are Chase Saphire we purchased the insurance for $150 more, because this is Israel. Its good we did, because during the week someone hit us in a parking lot and took off. Time is also money, and it would have been another 1-2 hours at the airport fighting with them upon return, and who knows is Chase would have ever covered it.

The only company that allows you to return in the terminal is Hertz. They are more expensive and take advantage.

We rented an Airbnb using pay yourself back on Chase Saphirre. So effectively it was free and better than any hotel would have stayed at. It was in King David Apartments, a stone throw from Mamilla, down the block from Lutzk, the building has free parking, a gym (well a few machines), a pool (it was closed) and easy access to everywhere. The apartment was a 3 bedroom apartment and well kept. PM me if you want more details.

We then walked to in town and the shuk. We just took our time, we had a challah shnitzel sandwich from some place. I forget the name.

We knew we would be exhausted so Wednesday night we booked dinner to 1868 which was next door to our Airbnb. I booked months in advance, and it was good, because we were the ONLY table in the restaurant that evening, because they had a large party in another room. I guess they felt bad and didn't cancel our reservation. Kudos to them. The food was very very good, and very very expensive. It was our splurge for this trip.

The next day I davened early at the Kotel. We went out for breakfast to Rimon in Mamila and were disappointed, both dishes of eggs we ordered came out cold, and when we sent it back, it came back cold again. Oh well. Its surprising because when we were there in the past in that location, the food was perfect.

We then walked around Meah Shearim and Geulah. Nothing has changed. We went Sam Bagels at the end of Geulah. It looked much better than it tasted.
We walked around the Bucharim Quarter, not many Bucharim left, and the shuk doesn't exist anymore.

We then went back to our place, and we had a wedding up north. Traffic is insane and it took almost 3 hours when the return trip took 1 hour and ten minutes.

Friday, I davened early at the kotel. We went to Hadar mall for brunch and shopping. We went to Waffle Bar, it was excellent.

We then went next door to Pasha. They have amazing takeout for shabbos. They have an amazing selection. We were told we should have purchased "Vishnitz Challah" but who knew.

We then did some shopping in the mall and also went to Osher Ad which is in the basement. Since we do not have a Teudat Zehut we needed to wait online to pay. Its like going to Bingo in Boro Park. We got to experience Israel.

We then went to prepare for shabbos. We had the meal with friends, and davened at the kotel at night.

By day there is a Moroccan Minyan in our building which I davened in, followed by a kiddish to which I was invited to down the block. I davened mincha at Lutzk (down the block) early. Marriv in a historic Iraqi minyan behind the building which I enjoy davening in.

Motzoi shabbos we met friends at Bardak Pizza Bar which is right across from the King Solomon. The pizza was good.

Sunday morning we packed, and met friends at Shalva Cafe for lunch. The food is delicious, plus its shalva. Our only mistake is not purchasing gifts in the gift shop there, because it goes to a good cause.

We then drove to Herziliya to the Ritz for our next part of the trip.

I booked it via Amex Fine Resorts. Remember it was New Years. It cost 50k points a night for 3 nights. We received the $200 credit even though we booked on points. We also received a $100 resort credit which was applied to our dinner at the restaurant. We were entitled to early checkin at 12 which we did not use. We received 4pm checkout which we used and was very very helpful.

The hotel was clean, good, and we were very very happy with it. Checkin was seamless, our bags were taken from our car to our room quickly, and we parked in the hotel with valet service. They only charged us 50 shekel a day which turned out to $12 a day. They only charged us for 2 nights instead of 3 for parking. The gym was ok (i've had better and worse).

We had a wedding in the north Sunday, so we went there.

Monday, Breakfast was very good from 630-1030, and the restaurant was excellent, but you must book at checkin or earlier. We checked in on Sunday evening, and they only had reservation slots on Monday at 630 and 9pm. The food was delicious better than 1868, and much cheaper (though not cheap). Two appetizers, two mains, and two starters were $168 with tip, and we received $100 off from amex, so it was a great deal.

We walked around the herziliya arena mall (which is nothing great), and the area around the arena (a few stores). There are a few kosher restaurants in the area.

Monday we went to the mall in Ramat Aviv, walked around and window shopped.

We then went to a delicious dairy restaurant in Petach Tiqva called Manuel. It was really good. There is a free municipal lot across the street so its really convenient if you have a car. On the same block is Zol Stock which is an Israeli version of Amazing Savings and a discounter. You can even buy judaica there at cheap prices that we didn't see anywhere else in the Country.

We then drove and walked around other areas of Petach Tiqva. We then drove back to Herziliya.

Tuesday we had breakfast in the hotel, and went to shuk hakarmel. We highly recommend going to Shuk HaKarmel in Tel Aviv on either Tuesday or Friday (Tuesday is better because you don't have the pre-shabbos rush). The reason why you want to go on Tuesday/Friday, is because the Nachalat Binyamin craft fair takes place on those days as well. It is nice stuff on the street and really nice to do it as well. I would say about 25%-33% of the stores are now kosher which is a major upgrade from the 0% I remember from years ago.

We are lunch at Fish Chips. It was really good. I think its the same chain as in the Jerusalem Shuk. Wednesday night we ended up having dinner at the shwarma place across the street as well.

We walked from the shuk to the ocean. It was nice to walk around. We then drove to Nahariya for a family event. Traffic is insane.

Wednesday we took it easy with breakfast and then a late checkout at 4pm. We ate dinner in the shuk in Tel aviv, and went to the airport. The return was at the Rental Center because it was not Hertz. That ads at least another 25-30 minutes. We got there 4 hours in advance of the 11:10pm United flight, and "sailed" through checkin and all that. We went to the Dan Lounge. It does not have high standards at all. In fact, it is the only lounge we ever were at that the bathrooms were worse than the regular airport bathrooms. The food was "snacks" and we are happy we brought shwarma with us to eat. The checkin staff was also the clean up staff. The lounge pales in comparison to any other lounge we've even been in. Oh well.

The flight back was uneventful. Badatz food which was "ok". We've had better and worse.

I hope that this was helpful.

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Israel 12/27/22-1/4/23
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 12:26:50 PM »
in the future if you would like to shop in osher ad with out the lines enter 0000 by the handheld machine

Offline itreu001

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 12:09:45 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Simchas

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 03:11:38 AM »
What is the hechsher at the Ritz Hertzlia restaurant?