Topic Wiki

BA: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/household-accounts
Household accounts can have up to seven members of any age.
Any member of the household (over 18) can redeem and it’ll be deducted evenly across all accounts.
Members can be added or leave a household account every 6 months.
A big caveat is that household accounts can only redeem points for members of the household, of from a “friends and family” list which can include 5 names per member (so in theory you can get 35 people on the list, you can just add more names to your household account and book through there).

Jetblue:
Between 2 and 7 members.
No age restrictions on Pool Members.
Pool Leaders must be 21 years of age or older.
Members must contribute 100% of their points to contribute to the pool.
Members will still have access to redeem their individual balance while contributing to the pool.
Members can leave the pool with their remaining balance of unused points.
Pool Leader can designate other members in the pool to redeem from the pooled balance.

Air Canada:
Max pool size: 9. Allows adding up to 8 additional members (controlled by lead who can invite and member accepts).
How to add: Adding done online.
How to remove: Call-in. Rep said that they need to fill out a form to request it, and it could take a week or so, but when we asked to add someone else (above limit) was able to get an exception from supervisor and have member removed instantly.
Restrictions: None that I'm aware of.

KLM/Air France:
Two adults + six children
25% discount on childrens award tickets
childrens miles do not expire.
members can leave the group after 6 months. child turns 18 automaticly removed from group if there are already 2 adults in the group
The family leader can transfer miles between family member, which resets all miles expiery date

Author Topic: Master Thread of Mileage Programs that allow pooling.  (Read 1784 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Master Thread of Mileage Programs that allow pooling.
« on: January 11, 2023, 10:42:31 PM »
Pooling mileage accounts can often be useful for a variety of reasons, such as salvaging small balances, redeeming points where transfer from CC needs to match, etc.

Different airlines (do any hotel loyalty programs have pooling?) have different rules, and adfing/removing might be easy or hard. Please post here information regarding pools, and hopefully we can get a Wiki going.

I'll start with AC which I used this week.

Max pool size: 9. Allows adding up to 8 additional members (controlled by lead who can invite and member accepts).
How to add: Adding done online.
How to remove: Call-in. Rep said that they need to fill out a form to request it, and it could take a week or so, but when we asked to add someone else (above limit) was able to get an exception from supervisor and have member removed instantly.
Restrictions: None that I'm aware of.

And I just found out that FlyingBlue (AF/KL) also has family pooling though I wasn't able to take advantage yet), kindly post information.

Other programs that allow pooling are:
BA
TK (quite restrictive IIRC).
MS (I recall someone posting about it somewhere on DDF).

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:59:27 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Mileage Programs that allow pooling Master Thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 10:48:51 PM »
B6
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
-- Dan

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 10:59:03 PM »
Details?
Up to 4 family members I think (very little, to be honest).

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Re: Master Thread of Mileage Programs that allow pooling.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 11:00:53 PM »
The little bit of info I got thus far about FlyingBlue is that you can have up to 2 adults (over 18) and 6 children (under 18).
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 11:01:36 PM »
Up to 4 family members I think (very little, to be honest).

How easy is it to add/remove?
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 11:02:47 PM »
Details?
https://www.jetblue.com/trueblue/points-pooling

Between 2 and 7 members.
No age restrictions on Pool Members.
Pool Leaders must be 21 years of age or older.
Members must contribute 100% of their points to contribute to the pool.
Members will still have access to redeem their individual balance while contributing to the pool.
Members can leave the pool with their remaining balance of unused points.
Pool Leader can designate other members in the pool to redeem from the pooled balance.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 11:22:24 PM »
I'll start with AC which I used this week.

I’ve used AC pooling quite a bit, and it’s great. I  just wish AC had a way to let you choose whose miles you want to use from within a family pool, or to default to first spend the points in your own account and only then use other family members’. The way it works now, I find that if I book a ticket they deduct some portion of the total miles from each family member (maybe proportionate to each member’s individual balance?), which makes it harder to track  how much each ticket was, and to ensure that points refunds post accurately for cancellations (which has been an issue at times), because it posts as a bunch of smaller deductions from each individual account.

Also, I just googled and found lists. Here’s one, and TPG had one too.

It’s also worth noting programs that let you transfer outright, like Marriott (up to 100k) and HH. Do any airlines allow that?

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 11:22:45 PM »
BA: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/executive-club/household-accounts
Household accounts can have up to seven members of any age.
Any member of the household (over 18) can redeem and it’ll be deducted evenly across all accounts.
Members can be added or leave a household account every 6 months.
A big caveat is that household accounts can only redeem points for members of the household, of from a “friends and family” list which can include 5 names per member (so in theory you can get 35 people on the list, you can just add more names to your household account and book through there).

Online yfr bachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 05:59:01 AM »
KLM/Air France:
Two adults + six children
25% discount on childrens award tickets
childrens miles do not expire.
The family leader can transfer miles between family member, which resets the miles expiery date

I've created a wiki for the thread

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 06:12:14 PM »
Etihad & Aegean

Easily done online,

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 10:22:32 PM »
Etihad & Aegean

Easily done online,

Aegean requires Silver or Gold membership in order to pool. Can add 5 other members.

As a Silver or Gold member you may activate a Together account and add up to 5 members, regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will be automatically transferred to your common account, letting you make full use of the collective balance. At the same time, all the members of the account will continue to receive their personal tier miles in order to be eligible for tier upgrade or retain.

Activation of the Together account is quick and easy. Simply log-in to your Miles+Bonus account and select “Activate Together account” from the navigation list of your account menu. You will automatically be assigned as the Head of the Together account and you will have the opportunity to invite 1 to 5 members. As a Head, you will be exclusively responsible for the administration of the account. Login to Miles+Bonus, check the members of your Together account, monitor their transactions, spend miles and see how close you are to enjoying your next award.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 10:25:38 PM »
TK also requires at least one member to have status.

How do I register for a Miles&Smiles family membership? After I have Family Membership, can I transfer Miles from my family members' individual memberships?
Topic: Other Last modified: December 17, 2020

To take advantage of the Family Miles scheme, you need to complete a feedback form and send it to us along with photocopies of the marriage certificate and ID cards relating to your family members (partner and children), their Turkish ID numbers and a request signed by you that includes your full address, telephone, and email or fax details. If any family members are already Miles&Smiles members, you need to include their membership numbers and also send a copy of their card together with the feedback form. All Miles on the family accounts have been collected under the head account automatically.

After given permission by the Head Account member, all family members will be able to spend Miles on the Family Membership. If the head account member requests to give authorization of spending Miles to one of the other members, by completing a feedback form with name, surname and Miles&Smiles ID numbers of other family members via www.turkishairlines.com, the member also can use Family Miles.

All members of the family account can see total Miles of the family through channels but the members who do not have the authorization cannot spend them through any channel.

Status Miles will continue to be collected on the account of each member separately.

The member who separated family Miles by his/her own wish or becomes over 25-years will be removed from the family membership by the system, will continue to earn Miles on his/her individual membership. Miles which added to family membership Miles before, will not be transferred to their own account in any way.

At least one of the member must be a Classic Plus, Elite or Elite Plus member in order to benefit from Family Membership.
-- Dan

Offline bendor

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 04:41:04 AM »
It’s also worth noting programs that let you transfer outright, like Marriott (up to 100k) and HH. Do any airlines allow that?
Qantas lets you transfer directly to a family member, and you need to select your relationship when transferring (but there were quite a lot of options).

See here https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequent-flyer/use-points/family-transfers.html