Author Topic: “Torah true schools”?  (Read 14483 times)

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
“Torah true schools”?
« on: January 17, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »
+1.

In Lakewood, many solid schools charge in the range of $4,000 per kid. In Brooklyn, I think it may be a little more, but I don't think anyone actually pays $20,000. Many schools write the equivalent of an MSRP, but the real price is half that, or even less.

I think schools may be even more willing to lower the rate if the child is coming from public school, because they are vested in giving a Jewish education to every Jewish child. I think this would be the case even for middle-class families, not just to very low income families.
true. $20,000 sounds more like a Modern Orthodox School which aims to send the students to Ivy League Colleges. Most Torah True Schools will not charge that much.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:09:00 PM by AsherO »

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: “Torah true schools”?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 12:55:02 PM »
true. $20,000 sounds more like a Modern Orthodox School which aims to send the students to Ivy League Colleges. Most Torah True Schools will not charge that much.
but may have it as MSRP
(it might cost them just as much per capita to educate, but none of their student body can afford that)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:11:09 PM »
These parents had their kids in public school.
Modern Orthodox schools are probably the right yeshiva for them.

Yes, the MSRP of these schools are in the $20K range. I've heard MO families consider that one of the reasons to limit their family size.
The place to start is at the school tuition office.  See what they'll actually charge you in your financial circumstance, coming from a public school.
Also talk to those organizations listed above to help  you pay what the school asks.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 06:08:59 AM »
If they are getting stronger in their Yiddishkeit then Modern Orthodox is not the way to go. Modern Orthodox is for those who have decided that the minimum is enough for them. A good strong Chareidi Cheder/Yeshiva/Beis Yaakov is the way to go.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 07:22:32 AM »
If they are getting stronger in their Yiddishkeit then Modern Orthodox is not the way to go. Modern Orthodox is for those who have decided that the minimum is enough for them. A good strong Chareidi Cheder/Yeshiva/Beis Yaakov is the way to go.

Please stop projecting your hashkafos onto others. You’re offering unsolicited advice, and it’s out of line.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 07:39:05 AM »

I hope this will be removed, but in case it isn't:

This is denigrating massive swaths of the Chareidi community, not to mention many forum members. It belittles thousands of families who are yereim u'shleimim, and have not, ch"v, decided the "minimum is enough".

Not least, OP didn't ask for help choosing what school to choose, but rather for help with scholarships. Talk if denominations only makes sense within the confines of discussing how that would effect tuition and/or scholarships.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 08:14:13 AM »
@Yehuda57 talk of*

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 11:51:08 AM »
@Yehuda57 talk of*

Really? In the post containing "help choosing what school to choose," that typo is the mistake you chose to point out?

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2023, 11:52:01 AM »
Please stop projecting your hashkafos onto others. You’re offering unsolicited advice, and it’s out of line.
I hope this will be removed, but in case it isn't:
This is denigrating massive swaths of the Chareidi community, not to mention many forum members. It belittles thousands of families who are yereim u'shleimim, and have not, ch"v, decided the "minimum is enough".
In case you weren't following the thread...
We are not dealing with the Chareidi Modern Orthodox who of course put their Yiddishkeit at the forefront of their children's education. We are dealing with the Ivy League Modox schools who are settling for the minimum in Jewishness in order to maximize their child's "success" in the secular world.
The OP wants to send to a religious school but cannot afford the high $20,000 tuition cost. A few of us are letting him know that those aren't the schools he is interested in sending to anyway.
Please read the thread next time before posting.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2023, 11:59:19 AM »
We are not dealing with the Chareidi Modern Orthodox who of course put their Yiddishkeit at the forefront of their children's education. We are dealing with the Ivy League Modox schools who are settling for the minimum in Jewishness in order to maximize their child's "success" in the secular world.
The OP wants to send to a religious school but cannot afford the high $20,000 tuition cost. A few of us are letting him know that those aren't the schools he is interested in sending to anyway.
Please read the thread without your projections next time before posting.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 12:10:23 PM »
OP:

Hey everyone. I was thinking of enrolling my children into yeshiva and wanted to know if there are any scholarships that could assist. I don’t know how many do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Response:
A few of us are[I am] letting him know that those aren't the schools he is interested in sending to anyway.

So,

...and don't make assumptions like
We are not dealing with ... We are dealing with
When no schools were mentioned by OP.

And then, if you are going to post, don't
project your hashkafos onto others and offer unsolicited advice
...especially when they denigrate and belittle thousands of Jews.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 12:24:54 PM »
Really? In the post containing "help choosing what school to choose," that typo is the mistake you chose to point out?

Ha! Apparently that's the one that bothered me.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 12:34:59 PM »

Yes, the MSRP of these schools are in the $20K range. I've heard MO families consider that one of the reasons to limit their family size.
The place to start is at the school tuition office.  See what they'll actually charge you in your financial circumstance, coming from a public school.
Also talk to those organizations listed above to help  you pay what the school asks.

But this post was also sort of an unsolicited projection etc... and no one chose to blast this post

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »
But this post was also sort of an unsolicited projection etc... and no one chose to blast this post

Look what that was responding to. That was already over the line, calling MO schools not "Torah True". Yes, there are assumptions made, but it is not an unsolicited projection of hashkafah that denigrates fellow Jews and forum members

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 01:02:48 PM »
Look what that was responding to. That was already over the line, calling MO schools not "Torah True". Yes, there are assumptions made, but it is not an unsolicited projection of hashkafah that denigrates fellow Jews and forum members
There'd also be less of a reaction if it wouldnt be coming from someone who already has made it clear that he can't see past his daled amos

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »

yes agreed there is a difference but without a detailed analysis of the family situation making remarks that MO schools are the right option seems to me a bit reckless and misguided unless of course he knows the family situation well.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »

I split this topic off (probably should’ve done it sooner) because attitudes like yours could make some people decide to keep their kids in public school.

The OP in that topic knows what he’s looking for, it’s what he calls a Yeshiva that has what he considers quality education. He has his children in public school so he probably doesn’t subscribe to your definitions for either of those things.

He didn’t name any specific schools, so your claim that you know what kind of schools he’s referring to isn’t even necessarily true.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 01:18:08 PM »
I split this topic off (probably should’ve done it sooner) because attitudes like yours could make some people decide to keep their kids in public school.

The OP in that topic knows what he’s looking for, it’s what he calls a Yeshiva that has what he considers quality education. He has his children in public school so he probably doesn’t subscribe to your definitions for either of those things.

He didn’t name any specific schools, so your claim that you know what kind of schools he’s referring to isn’t even necessarily true.
There are plenty of good Chareidi Schools that have a great general studies department (i was in such a place and actually took college courses while in high school) that don't charge $20,000 a year.
It would be a shame to see someone spend that much just to see his children 10 years later go to Harvard, marry a goy, and have non-Jewish grandchildren. These are the results of the Ivy League Modox places. Sorry for letting all those innocent Jews out there who love everyone and everything know the facts.
Just because you let someone know the facts of a certain mode of life doesn't mean you hate that mode of life. Plenty of my relatives are modorn orthodox and i love them all. but they are still destroying the future of their kids.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 01:25:28 PM »
There are plenty of good Chareidi Schools that have a great general studies department (i was in such a place and actually took college courses while in high school) that don't charge $20,000 a year.
It would be a shame to see someone spend that much just to see his children 10 years later go to Harvard, marry a goy, and have non-Jewish grandchildren. These are the results of the Ivy League Modox places. Sorry for letting all those innocent Jews out there who love everyone and everything know the facts.
Just because you let someone know the facts of a certain mode of life doesn't mean you hate that mode of life. Plenty of my relatives are modorn orthodox and i love them all. but they are still destroying the future of their kids.
What if he supplements his education by learning Daf Yomi from your role model? 

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »
Plenty of my relatives are modorn orthodox and i love them all. but they are still destroying the future of their kids.

Do you tell them this at the Chanukah party?