Author Topic: Is it better to transfer Marriot points or Chase points to united?  (Read 669 times)

Offline ghurty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I currently have about 7.5M Marriot Points and 4.4M Chase points. If I am going to transfer points to United, is it better to transfer the Marriot points or Chase?
Chase is a 1:1 ratio, but I earn points at 1.5X the rate, so for 70K points in United, I would need to spend $46K
For Marriot, I earn 2 points per dollar. To get 70k United points, I would need to spend $60k

So it appears that with the chase points, I need to spend less, so it would be better. BUT, are the chase points more valuable someplace else (as you can see I dont really use them that much), and being that I am "stuck" with 7M Marriot points, might as well use that instead.

Thank you

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to transfer Marriot points or Chase points to united?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:03:54 AM »
I currently have about 7.5M Marriot Points and 4.4M Chase points. If I am going to transfer points to United, is it better to transfer the Marriot points or Chase?
Chase is a 1:1 ratio, but I earn points at 1.5X the rate, so for 70K points in United, I would need to spend $46K
For Marriot, I earn 2 points per dollar. To get 70k United points, I would need to spend $60k

So it appears that with the chase points, I need to spend less, so it would be better. BUT, are the chase points more valuable someplace else (as you can see I dont really use them that much), and being that I am "stuck" with 7M Marriot points, might as well use that instead.

Thank you
Either way it objectively isn't the best value of your points. The Chase route is probably the better value though. That being said, value is subjective. If you don't use any points very often it's probably better to liquidate the more limited one (Marriott) first. The UR can always at least be cashed out or used to book travel on their portal, so for someone sitting on millions of them probabaly best to use the Marriott.

Tl;dr In your situation specifically, use the Marriott points.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:01:58 AM »
Marriott points transfer to programs that no other CC points transfer such as AA, JAL, and some others. Chase points are easier to accumulate.

Your situation might be different, but I would transfer Chase.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »
Either way it objectively isn't the best value of your points. The Chase route is probably the better value though. That being said, value is subjective. If you don't use any points very often it's probably better to liquidate the more limited one (Marriott) first. The UR can always at least be cashed out or used to book travel on their portal, so for someone sitting on millions of them probabaly best to use the Marriott.

Tl;dr In your situation specifically, use the Marriott points.
I’m not sure. Marriott points (although earning them at 2 per dollar isn’t a great ppd value) are very useful in many situations. If you value Marriott at .75 (very fair) and Chase at 1.5 (also fair) it’s a wash but you can earn Chase points at a better pace (1.5*1.5 vs. .75*2) moving forward so I’d use those.

TL;DR

Financially a wash, for you it’s probably better to use Chase.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.