Author Topic: 0% APR on Balance Transfers  (Read 2074 times)

Offline jack79

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
0% APR on Balance Transfers
« on: June 14, 2022, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm needing to transfer debt into a single credit card with 0% APR on Balance Transfers...we've all been there...or many of us anyhow...

My hope is to find a business card (no credit pull) with 0% on BTs. Do they exist?

Its 3% or 5% cost for the transfer. Do any cards exist without a balance transfer fee? (That would be epic.)

Which 0% APR on balance transfer credit card offers the best benefits (sign up bonuses, money back, etc)?

Thanks!
Respect everyone. Question everything. Strive for truth.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: 0% APR on Balance Transfers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 11:59:08 AM »
I'm needing to transfer debt into a single credit card with 0% APR on Balance Transfers...we've all been there...or many of us anyhow...

My hope is to find a business card (no credit pull) with 0% on BTs. Do they exist?

Its 3% or 5% cost for the transfer. Do any cards exist without a balance transfer fee? (That would be epic.)

Which 0% APR on balance transfer credit card offers the best benefits (sign up bonuses, money back, etc)?

Thanks!

Make sure you have a plan/budget for paying it off or you’ll get trapped in high interest rates for a looong time.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 12:16:46 PM »

Thanks!

In the past I've seen AMEX and Chase business cards with 0% on BT. I don't know what's available currently. I recently saw a non-business card with $0 transfer fee.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
To clarify, the benefit of using a business card is not the pull on open, but the total debt showing on report. Especially if you are going to roll some of it over again in 12 months, if that balance is on a personal card it will be very hard to find a new offer

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
A few years back @chbochur helped me with some of this stuff

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
There do seem to be a few active offers from Union Bank, Navy Federal, and Edward Jones (business), that have 0% BT fee, but they’re all 12 month 0% APR intro offer before you run into high interest rates.

Keep in mind you likely need (really?) good credit to get approved for any of these cards, and any balances you’re currently carrying could work against you in that regard, so it’s not a sure thing this will work.

If you do end up doing a BT, make sure you have a solid plan to pay it all off.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »
There do seem to be a few active offers from Union Bank, Navy Federal, and Edward Jones (business), that have 0% BT fee, but they’re all 12 month 0% APR intro offer before you run into high interest rates.

Keep in mind you likely need (really?) good credit to get approved for any of these cards, and any balances you’re currently carrying could work against you in that regard, so it’s not a sure thing this will work.

If you do end up doing a BT, make sure you have a solid plan to pay it all off.

Navy Federal AYLOR.

Union Banks seems to be only 6 months.

I keep on getting offers from US bank with a rather length 0% offer. I'm not sure if that's for BT or only purchases. And I don't know if US bank reports the business card balances on the personal CR.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:03:02 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 01:20:43 PM »
Navy Federal AYLOR.

Union Banks seems to be only 6 months.

I keep on getting offers from US bank with a rather length 0% offer. I'm not sure if that's for BT or only purchases. And I don't know if US bank reports the business card balances on the personal CR.

NF and Union 12-month 0% BT with no fee are both platinum cards, I’m actually seeing 15m 0% intro for Union:

But is US bank offering no fee BT? If you can eat a 3-5% fee, there are public offers up to 21-months out there. I am not seeing any such offers with fees capped to x%, so for larger amounts it could be a significant BT fee and borrowing from family/gemach/HELOC might be a better bet.

Offline Spoon

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »

Thanks!

Most BT offers are on personal cards. Many business cards(like chase inks) do offer 0% apr for the first 12 months.

Amex everyday used to offer 0% fee plus 0% apr plus a sub but I’m not sure if that’s still around.

If you have to pay the 3% fee you might as well get a SUB out of it. The Barclays aviator red has a 15 month 0% apr offer on BT and has a SUB of 60k miles after one purchase

But of course
Make sure you have a plan/budget for paying it off or you’ll get trapped in high interest rates for a looong time.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 01:42:06 PM »
If you have to pay the 3% fee you might as well get a SUB out of it. The Barclays aviator red has a 15 month 0% apr offer on BT and has a SUB of 60k miles after one purchase

I really like your approach of factoring in a signup bonus, though the higher the BT amount/fee, the less it’s worth it, but certainly worth considering it for a $2k BT where you pay $60 in BT fees (@3%) and get a 60k miles sign up bonus.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
I really like your approach of factoring in a signup bonus, though the higher the BT amount/fee, the less it’s worth it, but certainly worth considering it for a $2k BT where you pay $60 in BT fees (@3%) and get a 60k miles sign up bonus.
are SUB cards likely to have a higher APR once that kicks in than other cards?

in case
fails?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 01:53:01 PM »
are SUB cards likely to have a higher APR once that kicks in than other cards?

in casefails?

There is no “fails”, at least you want every contingency in place so it doesn’t go there. But if plans B/C/D fail, then interest rates vary greatly by card, credit-worthiness might be the biggest factor. Practically speaking, at higher amounts, borrower would get crippled with 14% APR same as with 19% APR.

ETA: Either way, it’s impossible to know where prime rate will be, or how to accurately interpret verbiage like this that lenders use to screw borrowers:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:56:45 PM by AsherO »

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 02:05:07 PM »
I liked best the us bank business credit cards, since they give BT offers later on as well,

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »
I liked best the us bank business credit cards, since they give BT offers later on as well,

Barclays (personal) used to give excellent BT offers with 1% fee, but they have changed to higher fees which make it not worthwhile.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 03:18:34 PM »
Barclays (personal) used to give excellent BT offers with 1% fee, but they have changed to higher fees which make it not worthwhile.

These days are long gone. I haven't seen 1% fee for at least 2 years, if not longer. But just got an interesting offer from Citi, while not especially long period, there's an interesting twist which I have highlighted:

I find this intriguing as I recently did some serious MS on this card, and it seems like for $5 (make a BT of $100 and pay 5% fee) I can have the entire balance stay at 0% apr for about 9 months.

Has anyone seen something similar before? It sounds like a no-brainer to me (putting money that was going to pay off the balance in treasuries or something similar yielding around 5%) with the only drawback being that it will be a dent to my credit score, showing a large balance being carried over.
-- Dan

Offline sam2015

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »

I find this intriguing as I recently did some serious MS on this card, and it seems like for $5 (make a BT of $100 and pay 5% fee) I can have the entire balance stay at 0% apr for about 9 months.

Has anyone seen something similar before? It sounds like a no-brainer to me (putting money that was going to pay off the balance in treasuries or something similar yielding around 5%) with the only drawback being that it will be a dent to my credit score, showing a large balance being carried over.

Similar to this: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=52248.msg2691823#msg2691823
I wonder where you got the idea from  ;)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2023, 12:14:34 PM »
Similar to this: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=52248.msg2691823#msg2691823
I wonder where you got the idea from  ;)

Didn't cross my mind. That one sounded like a purchase the had to be made one way or the other. I am planning MS.
-- Dan

Offline Redbull3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
Kind of stumbled onto something similar. Bought stuff for a buying group, got paid quickly, instead of paying the cc just keeping it in my new primis account, now thinking of messing with 'pushing off the balance' without quite paying it back as well