Author Topic: DWB/Police Profiling & Brutality/Racism/Etc  (Read 2519 times)

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: DWB/Police Profiling & Brutality/Racism/Etc
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »
Even if true, so what?
So saying "America's history with blacks is notorious" implies slavery was worse here than, say, Britian. (The 1619 project has made a goal of this)
Saying that " Blacks otoh were rounded up in in their native countries, placed onto ships to be sold here by the pound." Is implying that it was done by whites specifically for sale to America. Also not true

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 03:50:21 PM »
actually no, but thats because even if the cop punched me i wouldn't hit him back lol and i know that why in gods name would the guy shoot me if i follow what he says????!!!! if cops were running around just pulling whites out of cars and crushing skuls...yes i would be afraid but if its cops will only use force if you resist them, then in my mind i am thinking as long as i don't resist i won't get hurt

Daniel Shaver and Philando Castile would like a word. As well as many, many others.

I cannot believe anyone could say with a straight face that police will only use force if you resist when there are countless videos of them doing exactly that.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 03:51:55 PM »
A higher percentage of Asians (avg IQ 110) than blacks (avg IQ 20 over 20 points lower) in PHD programs is assumed to be racially motivated.
Do you really think that the sole basis for Affirmative Action is predicated on the idea that blacks are turned away based on racism despite deserving higher acceptance rates based on merit?

(Is IQ based on genes or circumstances?)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2023, 03:52:32 PM »
So saying "America's history with blacks is notorious" implies slavery was worse here than, say, Britian. (The 1619 project has made a goal of this)
Saying that " Blacks otoh were rounded up in in their native countries, placed onto ships to be sold here by the pound." Is implying that it was done by whites specifically for sale to America. Also not true
The point here was simply that blacks have had it far worse than Jews in America. Do you dispute this?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2023, 03:53:42 PM »
Not in the context he wrote it. He wasn't discussing America vs other countries. He was discussing blacks in America vs Jews in America.
He wasn't discussing who rounded them up but rather that they were brought here forcibly.

Those are the only points that were relevant to what he was responding to. A discussion of Britain and how they ended up forced onto boats is not relevant in the slightest.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2023, 03:55:57 PM »
The point here was simply that blacks have had it far worse than Jews in America. Do you dispute this?
Not at all. But the original quote I commented on wasn't discussing the full 300 years of American history. It mentioned the last generation

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2023, 03:56:05 PM »
No, it doesn't. It means America's history with blacks is notorious.

No it doesn't. It implies that Blacks [otoh] were rounded up in in their native countries, placed onto ships to be sold here by the pound.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2023, 03:57:38 PM »
That is the first time I recall that being said.

That would be either a listening or memory issue. It gets said every time someone brings up how Jews face more bias attacks in NYC now than any other minority. You then say but blacks had it worse 100 years ago and always get the answer that you are right about 100 years ago or even more recently but that they are talking about right now. This happened countless times.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »
Not at all. But the original quote I commented on wasn't discussing the full 300 years of American history. It mentioned the last generation
In the last generation, Jews faced none of the discriminations I listed. And prior to that, Jews faced none of the extreme discriminations Blacks faced.

I don’t get why you are fighting this. We’ve had more than our fair share of being the world’s scapegoat.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2023, 04:01:47 PM »
There are white & black people being pulled over all day every day all over the country who cooperate & hand over their license, get their ticket or warning & continue on their way, without a care in the world. You just don’t hear about them.

I don't think anyone disputes that the vast majority of cops do their job properly and well. The fact that the subset that is guilty of the brutality is small doesn't help things. Police brutality needs to be eradicated. The bigger issue is that there is a culture of protection and a legal quagmire to navigate to have a cop punished even for blatantly heinous crimes. That needs to be fixed

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2023, 04:04:37 PM »
In the last generation, Jews faced none of the discriminations I listed. And prior to that, Jews faced none of the extreme discriminations Blacks faced.

I don’t get why you are fighting this. We’ve had more than our fair share of being the world’s scapegoat.
Once again, just picked up on your quote. And Jews faced discrimination in education until the civil rights era as well. Not saying they faced as much here as the blacks

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 04:05:40 PM »
Once again, just picked up on your quote. And Jews faced discrimination in education until the civil rights era as well. Not saying they faced as much here as the blacks
Explain. How did the Jews suffer similarly to Blacks? I’m not disagreeing, just asking.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »

If you are not saying they faced as much as blacks then what is your point?

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2023, 04:08:14 PM »
Explain. How did the Jews suffer similarly to Blacks? I’m not disagreeing, just asking.
From the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/09/the-jews-in-america/306273/
In the first half of the 20th century, Jews were discriminated against in employment, access to residential and resort areas, membership in clubs and organizations, and in tightened quotas on Jewish enrollment and teaching positions in colleges and universities. Restaurants, hotels and other establishments that barred Jews from entry were called "restricted".

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2023, 04:09:38 PM »
From the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/09/the-jews-in-america/306273/
In the first half of the 20th century, Jews were discriminated against in employment, access to residential and resort areas, membership in clubs and organizations, and in tightened quotas on Jewish enrollment and teaching positions in colleges and universities. Restaurants, hotels and other establishments that barred Jews from entry were called "restricted".
So you are comparing quotas and localized racism on Jews in the 30s to a total governmental ban on Blacks in place several decades later?

Nobody said Jews faced (or face) no discrimination, only that it’s incomparable.

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2023, 04:11:44 PM »
If you are not saying they faced as much as blacks then what is your point?
I commented on a post saying that disparities in IQ, family cohesion, crime etc. may need to take into account the discrimination faced by blacks in the last generation. I said that Asians and Jews both faced discrimination and yet are mostly doing better than the general population one generation later

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2023, 06:06:21 PM »
That would be either a listening or memory issue. It gets said every time someone brings up how Jews face more bias attacks in NYC now than any other minority. You then say but blacks had it worse 100 years ago and always get the answer that you are right about 100 years ago or even more recently but that they are talking about right now. This happened countless times.
Then my memory is bad. I recall saying black children now have it worse the Jewish children now and I got push back. I pointed out black kids are getting killed and the push back was it was black on black crime. My response was it makes no difference who is killing them.

Isn't that say line of thought going on right now without my input?  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2023, 06:10:19 PM »
Then my memory is bad. I recall saying black children now have it worse the Jewish children now and I got push back. I pointed out black kids are getting killed and the push back was it was black on black crime. My response was it makes no difference who is killing them.

Isn't that say line of thought going on right now without my input?  :)

His post was not about now but rather historical. I agree that blacks "have it worse" right now but Jews may face more discrimination. That probably also depends on how you count the stats. You are getting antsy about people discussing nuance. That is on you not them.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »
That is on you not them.
Of course it is. How can it be any other way.

I don't care if it was 300 years ago or yesterday. Trying to dismiss something because it was black on black is BS.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:56 PM »
Of course it is. How can it be any other way.

I don't care if it was 300 years ago or yesterday. Trying to dismiss something because it was black on black is BS.
Dismiss? It just makes it less likely to be a hate crime when it is between two inner city teens.