Author Topic: Today I Did...Things You Just Did For The First Time  (Read 6931 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Today I Did...Things You Just Did For The First Time
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2023, 10:17:48 AM »
To bring this thread back on topic to the topic that it originally derailed from the first off-topic topic,
The Pri Toar writes regarding a kli that is not for food use at all (his case is scissors), and one wants to use it sometimes for a food use, that it does not need to be toveled. Similarly, Rav Elyashiv and the Ohr Yitzchak permit using room heaters for heating up food (even when directly touching) without tevila.
This clearly appears to apply to something that is not a food tool at all. R' Chaim Kanievsky does say that you would need to tovel a blech (without a beracha) if you warm challas on it directly, even every once in a while. R' Elyashiv makes this distinction explicitly, saying the problem with a "sakin shel klafim" is that it is still called a "sakin." However, the grates on your stovetop would not need tevila because almost no one roasts eggplant (that was the case) directly on it.
I will not discuss the apparently horrible hygiene in almost every case above, but I will note that not everyone holds tinfoil is considered enough of a separation to consider the food not to be touching for the purposes of avoiding tevila.

Pri Toar: YD Kuf Chof sk 11
Ashrei Hoish YD, Tes, Os Chof-ches
Ohr Yitzchak I YD 23
RC Kanievsky from a teshuva in Ohel Yaakov, B'Nesivos H'Halacha 46 p 413
The distinction from R' Elyashiv is brought in Avnei Yoshfeh I Siman Kuf-Mem-Zayin p43.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Online imayid2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2023, 10:20:18 AM »
To bring this thread back on topic to the topic that it originally derailed from the first off-topic topic,
The Pri Toar writes regarding a kli that is not for food use at all (his case is scissors), and one wants to use it sometimes for a food use, that it does not need to be toveled. Similarly, Rav Elyashiv and the Ohr Yitzchak permit using room heaters for heating up food (even when directly touching) without tevila.
This clearly appears to apply to something that is not a food tool at all. R' Chaim Kanievsky does say that you would need to tovel a blech (without a beracha) if you warm challas on it directly, even every once in a while. R' Elyashiv makes this distinction explicitly, saying the problem with a "sakin shel klafim" is that it is still called a "sakin." However, the grates on your stovetop would not need tevila because almost no one roasts eggplant (that was the case) directly on it.
I will not discuss the apparently horrible hygiene in almost every case above, but I will note that not everyone holds tinfoil is considered enough of a separation to consider the food not to be touching for the purposes of avoiding tevila.

Pri Toar: YD Kuf Chof sk 11
Ashrei Hoish YD, Tes, Os Chof-ches
Ohr Yitzchak I YD 23
RC Kanievsky from a teshuva in Ohel Yaakov, B'Nesivos H'Halacha 46 p 413
The distinction from R' Elyashiv is brought in Avnei Yoshfeh I Siman Kuf-Mem-Zayin p43.
The surgical scalpel is definitely more similar to sakin shel klafim than those other cases.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
The surgical scalpel is definitely more similar to sakin shel klafim than those other cases.
Oh, whoops. I meant to point that out but forgot. So thanks for mentioning it.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »
It seems like this thread is destined to be off-topic...
Today on Arutz Sheva: Rabbi Rami Barkiho: Rabbis should advise congregants to carry legal firearms on Shabbat.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/367161