Author Topic: How can Monsey restaurants justify their prices? (specifically milchig ones)  (Read 26056 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: How can Monsey restaurants justify their prices? (specifically milchig ones)
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2023, 07:31:45 PM »
I did not say all hechsherim. And yes I am in manufacturing though not food.
You wrote it as a generality when in reality it is the exception not the rule and those who do that have a reputation that they earned.

Manufacturing random items can be quite different.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: How can Monsey restaurants justify their prices? (specifically milchig ones)
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2023, 07:36:28 PM »
You wrote it as a generality when in reality it is the exception not the rule and those who do that have a reputation that they earned.

Manufacturing random items can be quite different.
who ever is saying Kayco/gefen etc are much smaller and can not compete with the larger non Jewish stores it's not fully true. They do not only sell to the Jewish market. How do they compete there? They are big in the prison and food service in general.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2023, 07:45:12 PM »
who ever is saying Kayco/gefen etc are much smaller and can not compete with the larger non Jewish stores it's not fully true. They do not only sell to the Jewish market. How do they compete there? They are big in the prison and food service in general.
Is this supposed to have something to do with what I wrote?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2023, 07:46:11 PM »
Is this supposed to have something to do with what I wrote?
no

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2023, 07:47:06 PM »
Why do you think budgeting is an issue specifically for frum families any more than any other community?

I take issue with lack of logic in our community in this particular area, they're the gold standard for family life, civility, morality and what not, so it does irks me that we fall behind in that aspect. It's not just with grocery shopping. It's spending on simchas, weddings, brand names, *country* and the like.

I do believe that we have a bigger issue than other communities. The driving reason for that is the tight knit communities we live in so it's monkey see monkey do. Communities in the Bronx aren't copying trends from Palm Beach, but in our circles we live door to door. If cured fish and jerky is the new trend by kiddushim then slowly but surly you'll see it all over. While many aren't falling for the luxuries of others, the majority do feel they need the same comfortable "necessities" the others have.

and here comes Dan's favorite thread

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2023, 07:49:37 PM »
kayco is quite the monopoly/mafia. Not sure too many disagree. Firsthand experience
But conflating other items which no one's making serious coin on doesn't help

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2023, 07:56:00 PM »
I do believe that we have a bigger issue than other communities. The driving reason for that is the tight knit communities we live in so it's monkey see monkey do. Communities in the Bronx aren't copying trends from Palm Beach, but in our circles we live door to door. If cured fish and jerky is the new trend by kiddushim then slowly but surly you'll see it all over. While many aren't falling for the luxuries of others, the majority do feel they need the same comfortable "necessities" the others have.
Keeping Up with the Joneses is not an original concept or specific to Jews at all.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2023, 07:58:30 PM »
Keeping Up with the Joneses is not an original concept or specific to Jews at all.

True, but in which non Jewish community do you have the many times multi-millionaire in the same social circle as the guy who can barely put food on the table?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2023, 08:01:31 PM »
True, but in which non Jewish community do you have the many times multi-millionaire in the same social circle as the guy who can barely put food on the table?
and kids in the same class. Live on the same block....

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2023, 08:02:11 PM »
kayco is quite the monopoly/mafia. Not sure too many disagree. Firsthand experience
But conflating other items which no one's making serious coin on doesn't help
so what can be done about the mafia?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2023, 08:07:49 PM »
so what can be done about the mafia?
Same as what LCCs and generics do. Offer a product for less and let market forces figure it out.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2023, 08:07:57 PM »

It's not that much to keep the image and stigma in tact, it's truly the lifestyle and comfortability people don't want to compromise. "Why should I shlep to Costco or KRM and not just send my daughter to make the grocery order at the corner grocery like everybody does". Now couple that with the classic Keeping up with Joneses too with brand names, simchas etc.

Offline Oiheivyisroel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2023, 08:10:13 PM »

That’s one of the specialties of our generation. The same person has both, נסיון העוני and נסיון העושר.
Am Yisroel have no fear, Moshiach will be here this year!

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2023, 08:10:25 PM »
Same as what LCCs and generics do. Offer a product for less and let market forces figure it out.
didn't we go thru this already? Kayco is a bully and a monopoly. If they tell a store if they promote/sell/discount a product they won't receive any product from kayco what would you do?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2023, 08:20:23 PM »
didn't we go thru this already? Kayco is a bully and a monopoly. If they tell a store if they promote/sell/discount a product they won't receive any product from kayco what would you do?

And they end up buying all their competitors.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2023, 08:31:33 PM »
And they end up buying all their competitors.
At what price?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2023, 08:36:29 PM »
-1 that would be included in הוצאותיו

Hold up, even the aibershter doesn’t consider the CPI? :D
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2023, 08:36:40 PM »
in a monopoly you can not just do it yourself.

Yes for a sukkah or items like that. I am really not sure why it's not done. I purchased for myself and some friends this year a sukkah directly from China. They are exactly the same ones you buy in NY.
Have a link for an 8x16 sukkah?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2023, 08:38:24 PM »
Have a link for an 8x16 sukkah?
Yes, but Big Sukkah will break his legs if he does ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2023, 08:40:25 PM »
At what price?

At a price the competitor feels they would rather sell and move on than continue to compete.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan