Author Topic: How can Monsey restaurants justify their prices? (specifically milchig ones)  (Read 26046 times)

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So sell on KW by the case. Where are all the wineries stepping in to take advantage of not going through them?
I'm having a hard time believing that they're solely responsible for the kosher tax.
Have you spoken to any wineries or any wine stores? You should. I know you promote KFWE. But you would be shocked on what you hear about Royal. For wine your business model cant just be to sell to KW online. You need to be in all the stores. Wine store in Monsey told about me about 70% of his alcohol comes from Royal.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Another issue is hashgachas slapping on a label and brand charging double the price. When the hashgacha fully relied on the OU.
This is not the case for the reliable heimeshe hechsherim.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Your point? so some pricing went up? Bottom line is Jewish stores are more expensive and for no reason.
my point? Your examples are bad which makes one wonder if you actually have a clue what's going on.
There's definitely price gouging on some items but not the ones you think

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Unfortunately with wine, it would 'pas nisht' to be satisfied with a sub $20 bottle. The bar has been set so high and many people believe that more expensive is 'better'. We want the label and the hock, not just the quality and price.

Offline dealmaster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
True. But overall it shouldn't be that much more. But it is.
how can you compare ShopRite’s purchasing power to local stores? also ShopRite can run (on some items) a lower margin as they have so much larger of a customer base. It is ridiculous to hold local stores to anywhere close to national chains, price wise.
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline ya

• View Profile
This is not the case for the reliable heimeshe hechsherim.
Could be. But i think most people look at the item. See its a Jewish brand with a heimeshe hechsher and just assumes its better. Is it not on the brands who add these and know they do nothing?

Offline ya

• View Profile
how can you compare ShopRite’s purchasing power to local stores, also ShopRite can run (on some items) a lower margin as they have so much larger of a customer base? It is ridiculous to hold local stores to anywhere close to national chains, price wise.
OK and what about smaller non kosher chains? And per store they have a large base? Really? Walk into most large non Jewish supermarkets and they are empty compared to Jewish ones. As well customers walk out with a few items besides for Thanksgiving. We have Thanksgiving  every week plus all our Yom tovs and much larger families.

Online aygart

• View Profile
Could be. But i think most people look at the item. See its a Jewish brand with a heimeshe hechsher and just assumes its better. Is it not on the brands who add these and know they do nothing?
I would reply if I knew what you were saying

Offline ya

• View Profile
I would reply if I knew what you were saying
You seem to always defend Jewish pricing. Are you in the industry?

Can you defend $35 a pound of Matza? What about a $1100 canvas Sukkah? ( which are purchased from China for about $130 including freight plus cost of schach - though this one is easy for everyone to import themselves. Not sure why its not done)

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Can you defend $35 a pound of Matza? What about a $1100 canvas Sukkah? ( which are purchased from China for about $130 including freight plus cost of schach - though this one is easy for everyone to import themselves. Not sure why its not done)
I can defend some of it but not all of it.
Can you defend $6.99 eggs? This is the way of the world. It's not a Jewish thing though they should know better
I paid $49/lb for PT Rosh . It's basically one matzah to the oven at a time. It's not simply quick but ensuring no shehiyos, which counter intuitively, actually slows them down
You need to compare apples to apples.
cs ShopRite milk cannot be compared to CY any brand because it's a specialty item.
Compare a specialty brand milk to CY milk and you'll find the numbers much closer
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:39:35 PM by moko »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus

BH we have freedom of enterprise in this country. If you're truly convinced the product is overpriced, find a way to establish a short position.
Or do it yourself if there's such an oppurtunity.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online aygart

• View Profile

The only relation I have is as a consumer. There are many here who know me and can verify that.

As soon as you mentioned the farce that the heimeshe hechsherim are just relying on the OU you lost all credibility and it shows that you are writing from bitterness and not anything real.

Do you have any knowledge at all about grocery distribution or manufacturing to know what something should cost?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:49:34 PM by aygart »

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
The only relation I have is as a consumer. There are many here who know me and can verify that.

As soon as you mentioned the farce that the heimeshe hechsherim are just relying on the OU you lost all credibility and it shows that you are writing from bitterness and not anything real.

Do you have any knowledge at all about grocery distribution or manufacturing to know what something should cost?
Food is probably one of the biggest expenses in a (Jewish) home. Like I said his landlord is probably a bully too. It hurts
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online aygart

• View Profile
Food is probably one of the biggest expenses in a (Jewish) home. Like I said his landlord is probably a bully too. It hurts
I get it and I pay it too. Making unreasonable demands won't help.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
going back to the OP, are dairy restaurnts in BP/lakewood cheaper?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline dealmaster

• View Profile
OK and what about smaller non kosher chains? And per store they have a large base? Really? Walk into most large non Jewish supermarkets and they are empty compared to Jewish ones. As well customers walk out with a few items besides for Thanksgiving. We have Thanksgiving  every week plus all our Yom tovs and much larger families.
what small chain has decent pricing? Also, do you complain that specialty doctors charge 300+ per 10 minute consultation? Or lawyers? Or any specialized service? Kosher stores offer a specialized service and the proof is in the fact that all those complaining here haven’t opened their own.    I can totally sympathize with the fact that everything is so expensive, I am paying those prices too, but to dump on all these businesses owners while you don’t do anything is unacceptable (unless there is bullying by a monopoly, you can’t do that on your own unless you are the incumbent)
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline ya

• View Profile

I did not say all hechsherim. And yes I am in manufacturing though not food.

Offline dealmaster

• View Profile
going back to the OP, are dairy restaurnts in BP/lakewood cheaper?
talking about the original question, and the direction the forum went- I think there is a tremendous difference between restaurants and grocery stores, restaurants as a rule(I know there are exceptions) are a convenience, if it is too expensive don’t go(personally I can b”h afford to eat out but generally don’t because of my Hashkafic upbringing, and I am just fine) grocery stores are a necessity and therefore the problem of high prices is much more severe, but as stated above-don’t sit and complain, if there was a way to lower the prices why don’t you just do it?

Offline ya

• View Profile
Or do it yourself if there's such an oppurtunity.
in a monopoly you can not just do it yourself.

Yes for a sukkah or items like that. I am really not sure why it's not done. I purchased for myself and some friends this year a sukkah directly from China. They are exactly the same ones you buy in NY.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
How come Ungers pricing is almost always identical to Gefen/Glicks/Haddar?

On the few canned items that I checked I found Unger's to be about 25% cheaper. Now I wonder how many frum consumers are aware.