Author Topic: What computers have you owned?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
What computers have you owned?
« on: September 05, 2023, 05:42:12 AM »
As someone in the market for twenty years and interested in hardware anecdotes, please post anything you remember about the computers you have owned and used regularly (not the ones you bought to resell, please).

I'll start.
First computer was a Dell Dimension XPS with a Pentium III @ 450MHz, 512K RAM and 9GB HDD. I believe it had a dedicated graphics card (to run dual monitors, you used to need one). I know it had a $1000 sound card. My father had purchased it for mastering, and when he replaced it around 2002, we inherited it. It was overpowered for its time, and so, was capable of running modern games far longer than it should have. However, we had to uninstall the last game in order to fit the new one. Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404354936052?hash=item5e256eacf4:g:LrkAAOSwhhlj7ldD

My interest in computers led me to surreptitiously buy a laptop in around 2016(?). It was the first Vostro model, had a dual-core Athlon and 1GB RAM. My parents made me sell it within a few months.

When they couldn't deny my interest, I bought all the parts and built a desktop from scratch (they figured at least then it wouldn't have wifi - I actually never used that computer on the internet). It had a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB hard drive. The video controller was a Radeon and had 128MB of VRAM. This ended up being the family computer and kept us off my father's workstation.

When I went to yeshiva I got a netbook for typing notes. A 9" ASUS with the 1.6GHz Atom single core, a 160GB spinning drive (this was the brief period when netbooks did not use eMMC drives), and 2GB RAM. For typing, it got an impressive (at the time) 4 hours. Used/Abused it for a year before it died (I used to put it in a backpack playing itunes - which it was barely capable of running - with no venting for the heat!).

Got a job for a camp doing their newsletter (including graphic editing) so I bought a computer with dedicated graphics. This was the first laptop with switchable graphics (two years later rebranded "Optimus"), so it got decent battery life when the video controller was not enabled. Had an i5 and Geforce GT 310M (1GB). My father was already at B&H and he got me a better model (I was looking at the cheaper metal version with half the HDD space) with a bamboo case that stood out (which I would have done without but it shaved a quarter-pound off the weight). I got about 5 hours of typing, which was hugely impressive for the specs at the time. This: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/715018-REG/ASUS_U43JC_A1_U43Jc_A1_14_Notebook_Computer.html/specs

This computer lasted me a few years. When the battery went, I relegated it for housework and got a new one. My needs were not so impressive so I got a Zenbook with a 7th gen i7 (again, upgrade from an i5 model by my father because he got the i7 for less than the i5). This was astoundingly light and got me almost ten hours new. This one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348416-REG/asus_ux430ua_db71_bl_i7_7500u_2_7_8gb.html

My needs were back to higher power again (about two years later) and I got this monster Aspire 7, assuming that its 5.3lbs would be something I could handle. I was also attracted by its dual drive slots (1 M2 and 1 2.5"). It was also much better value for its $770 price (you got six cores in a range that usually only got you four) and built like a tank. It had a high-watt i7 six-core and a GTX 1050TI. I upgraded it to 16GB RAM and added a 2TB HDD. Also good was the 7 or so hours of battery life. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-7-A715-72G-i7-8750H-GTX-1050-Ti-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.403021.0.html

When I got tired of shlepping it around (about a year later), I sold it to a photoshop student and bought a lighter model - a 15.6" Zephyrus. I got it open box for $1000, and it was about a pound lighter. It had a Ryzen 7 eight-core and 1660TI - way more power than I needed, but anything with less power either weighed more or costed more. Battery life was better, too - around 9 hours real use. https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-7-4800HS-Debut-Asus-Zephyrus-G15-GA502IU-Laptop-Review.492255.0.html

This one I really was willing to keep until it died, but when another photoshop student proved willing to pay what I paid for it (instead of double for an IL model or waiting a few weeks for a US model to arrive), I sold it and ordered a new one sent to the states to a family friend who came a few weeks later. This was a mechayeh - exactly what I was looking for, a Swift X 14. It was portable and had power (though not as much as the Zephyrus) but still excellent battery life (average ten hours). Unlike a year earlier, when the cheapest I could find something like this was $1400 (and less graphics power too), this brand-new model was on sale starting at $1030 and often $900. I'm still using it today (two years later) and still just as happy with it. It has a Ryzen 8-core 5800U and an RTX 3050TI (4GB), weighs 3.2 lbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093TK1PXF/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

As of a year ago, I leave that computer at home when I go to yeshiva. In order to minimize distraction (and thanks for that, DDF), I use a dedicated laptop for work. I got it open box in California for $700. It is a 3lb Samsung Galaxy Book Pro with an 11th gen i7. Not only is it freakishly light, I get such great battery life that I often go two days without charging it. It has only USB-C ports, which turned out to be an advantage ("Can you put on that shiur Rabbi Berkovits gave last week?" "Oh, you don't have anything that can plug into my computer! I'm sooo sorry I can't interrupt my editing to help you..."

This is the model: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-book-pro-360-15-6-amoled-touch-screen-laptop-intel-evo-platform-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-ssd-mystic-navy/6457790.p?skuId=6457790&intl=nosplash

So? What about you people?
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: What computers have you owned?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 09:01:33 AM »
I'm almost exclusively Desktop nowadays, I remember 4gb RAM being enough and "good HDDs" working well.
Since 2016 I'd choose a Gemara over anything that doesn't have i7/r7+, 16gb+ ram, SSD
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 09:11:30 AM »
Ti 99/4
Commodore 64
IBM pc Jr.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 10:01:01 AM »
My father was head of IT at a pretty big college, so we saw more tech than the average family growing up. I remember getting internet over ISDN for a few years. I vaguely recall going to a party they threw when they shut down their last mainframe system. I was too young to remember any hardware specifics, but we played lots of The Learning Company games on DOS/5" floppy disk.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 10:12:33 AM »
ZX81 with a massive 16 kB RAM.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »
ZX81 with a massive 16 kB RAM.  :)
It's amazing to think, if you and others didn't buy 16 KB RAM computers for $150, we wouldn't have GB RAM & TB SSD computers today.

So, thank you!
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 12:37:31 PM »
It's amazing to think, if you and others didn't buy 16 KB RAM computers for $150, we wouldn't have GB RAM & TB SSD computers today.

So, thank you!
$150???

Most computers were far more expensive.

You have to see the old advertisements from my FM selling computers 40 years ago. I.e. Computers with 80 MB HDD for $3,000, etc.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
What computers have you owned?
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 12:58:06 PM »
My uncle was high up in IT at NJ Transit, and he built most of my computers himself. First one I got was in 1994, ran Windows 3.1.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 05:09:35 AM »
$150???

Most computers were far more expensive.

You have to see the old advertisements from my FM selling computers 40 years ago. I.e. Computers with 80 MB HDD for $3,000, etc.

Ad inside an office, mid 1980s

AMSTRAD budget computer ad

Triggers: old advertisements + computers
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 11:01:12 AM »
I am on my 5th Dell Precision Workstation (Currently 7670)
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline can

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA GOLD. AC 25K. Hertz PC. National EE.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 09:11:27 PM »
Microsoft Surface pro 3 pro 7 pro 8
Now I use Dell xps 13 tablet really miss the kickstand from the Surface
SAMSUNG Galaxy Book Pro 15.6 i5 and I love it got it here https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/amazon/samsung-galaxy-book-pro-15-6-amoled-screen-core-i5-512gb-ssd-laptop-long-lasting-battery-699-99-amazon/
So thanks Dan!
Couldn't agree more ⬇️
I use a dedicated laptop for work. I got it open box in California for $700. It is a 3lb Samsung Galaxy Book Pro with an 11th gen i7. Not only is it freakishly light, I get such great battery life that I often go two days without charging it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 09:23:20 PM by can »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 09:50:12 PM »
Dell Latitude L100? (Don’t remember, it was ancient)
Dell 700m
Dell 1330m
Sony Z 13
LG Gram 15

Before these my family had a DOS-based 286 (I think it was Acer) from 1987, it was replaced with a Windows 95 Packard Bell (I think) in 1995 or so. IIRC it was an early Pentium (Intel Inside) with a 4.3gb HD.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »

I still can do command prompt

Remember 486 then Pentium

I remember when 56k modem was fast!

Offline sillypainter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 12:30:02 AM »

I still can do command prompt

Remember 486 then Pentium

I remember when 56k modem was fast!

Same. Still remember 14.4k modems. Windows 3.0 and 3.1 was a software within your computer, not an operating system. Came Windows 95 and it changed everything.

Offline justaregularguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 12:49:22 AM »
I started out with the Abacus 500. Super fast bead sliding for quick results  :P :P
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible