Author Topic: Pricing for - Tech Support/ Computer troubleshooting and repair  (Read 1393 times)

Offline daniel1455

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi
please advise on the following
1) what is the price for Tech Support you pay?
2) remote support hourly?
3) onsite  support hourly?
2) are you paying a monthly fee? if yes on what is it based, on a per desk basis or something else? and what is included for the set fee, thanks

I just want to know if I am overpaying, thanks
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:35:44 AM by daniel1455 »

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
Re: Pricing for - Tech Support/ Computer troubleshooting and repair
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 12:03:04 PM »
What are you paying and what are you paying for.

Lots of positive and negative stories on https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin.

Hiring a good and reliable MSP is a essential to a small business to make sure you and your company.
Often IT is overlooked and once things are down, or a company is being targeted by hackers, you need to make sure your data is safe.
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:55 PM »
Also, what quality services are you expected. You can’t expect someone to be on call and resolve issues at $40/an hour, and also be competent, responsive, and always available.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 11:15:52 AM »
Also, what quality services are you expected. You can’t expect someone to be on call and resolve issues at $40/an hour, and also be competent, responsive, and always available.

Well MSPs charge $150-$200 an hour to their customers. And then the question is how much does MSPs pay their employees....  So it's more like $40/hour unless one is lucky and has a generous employer or if one is self-employed.

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 07:21:00 PM »
Msp can also charge per employee and then you don't get charged per hour..

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 08:26:37 PM »

Well MSPs charge $150-$200 an hour to their customers. And then the question is how much does MSPs pay their employees....  So it's more like $40/hour unless one is lucky and has a generous employer or if one is self-employed.

I’m confident the higher tier experts at the MSP are making more than $40 an hour. Besides, the guy working for the MSP is getting paid hourly regardless of whether there’s work or whether/how much the MSP’s clients pay, a guy you hire hourly for a one-off can’t get by charging the same $40/hour for freelance work.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 12:31:11 PM »
I’m confident the higher tier experts at the MSP are making more than $40 an hour. Besides, the guy working for the MSP is getting paid hourly regardless of whether there’s work or whether/how much the MSP’s clients pay, a guy you hire hourly for a one-off can’t get by charging the same $40/hour for freelance work.

At MSPs the employees may spent a  few minutes on a ticket, but customers get billed in 30 min or 1 hour increments - and employees are working on multiple tickets at same time. Many times, tickets are worked on by multiple employees at same time.

Lots of issues I find are caused by MSP employees themselves. Everytime somebody makes a change, it causes tens of things to go wrong and causes production downtime, and then the MSPs escalate the issues to me to resolve their emergency - instead of them reverting the change they did. (And often they do not plan for what can go wrong).

Then, I find MSPs are constantly are re-inventing the wheel. Everything works, but MSP decides the client is using Cisco, but most of their techs do not know Cisco, so they replace the hardware with another vendor where config is limited to web GUI. Then they call me for help, and I spend hundreds hours on the phone with that vendor's support (and had to be midnight hours, as I couldn't make changes during production hours), and I discover dozens of bugs in that vendor's firmware, and the client ended up going back to Ciscos, and the new equipment customer paid 6 figures spent years collecting dust.

Another client, they have open-source software that does all the monitoring of all systems and network. MSP decides to get a commercial software that does the same function, and then takes hundreds of men hours to configure, and then years later, everytime something goes down, it's the customer that alerts that there is an issue, instead of of automatic alerts from the monitoring system.

And then MSPs sign up clients to countless of software subscriptions which are not necessary, or ends up never being use.  But the clients will never know, because for them all they care is 100% uptime and immediate support, and MSPs do not get audited.

Problem is most MSPs are run by amatuers. The job is completed at the end, but if one would work for a major company in the corporate world, IT is done totally differently, and with lots of methodology and discipline. Any time there is a production downtime for minutes, it can cause millions of dollars of loss of revenue for the firms, but most MSPs management and emoployees did not come from such environments, so they do not have the experience.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 11:24:23 PM »
At MSPs the employees may spent a  few minutes on a ticket, but customers get billed in 30 min or 1 hour increments - and employees are working on multiple tickets at same time. Many times, tickets are worked on by multiple employees at same time.

Lots of issues I find are caused by MSP employees themselves. Everytime somebody makes a change, it causes tens of things to go wrong and causes production downtime, and then the MSPs escalate the issues to me to resolve their emergency - instead of them reverting the change they did. (And often they do not plan for what can go wrong).

Then, I find MSPs are constantly are re-inventing the wheel. Everything works, but MSP decides the client is using Cisco, but most of their techs do not know Cisco, so they replace the hardware with another vendor where config is limited to web GUI. Then they call me for help, and I spend hundreds hours on the phone with that vendor's support (and had to be midnight hours, as I couldn't make changes during production hours), and I discover dozens of bugs in that vendor's firmware, and the client ended up going back to Ciscos, and the new equipment customer paid 6 figures spent years collecting dust.

Another client, they have open-source software that does all the monitoring of all systems and network. MSP decides to get a commercial software that does the same function, and then takes hundreds of men hours to configure, and then years later, everytime something goes down, it's the customer that alerts that there is an issue, instead of of automatic alerts from the monitoring system.

And then MSPs sign up clients to countless of software subscriptions which are not necessary, or ends up never being use.  But the clients will never know, because for them all they care is 100% uptime and immediate support, and MSPs do not get audited.

Problem is most MSPs are run by amatuers. The job is completed at the end, but if one would work for a major company in the corporate world, IT is done totally differently, and with lots of methodology and discipline. Any time there is a production downtime for minutes, it can cause millions of dollars of loss of revenue for the firms, but most MSPs management and emoployees did not come from such environments, so they do not have the experience.
What do you do that they come to you? I've had a similar experience with some MSPs, but, surprisingly, some very good experiences with some smaller, more boutique (does not necessarily equal expensive) MSPs.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 10:21:16 AM »
What do you do that they come to you? I've had a similar experience with some MSPs, but, surprisingly, some very good experiences with some smaller, more boutique (does not necessarily equal expensive) MSPs.

I specialize in Unix, Cisco and Fortigate.