Author Topic: Advice on an Iceland Air ticket to Tel Aviv - getting remediation  (Read 488 times)

Offline momof4

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
 I am looking for advice with regard to an Iceland Air ticket I purchase with chase points.  I am a sapphire reserve card holder.

I booked a one way ticket to Tel Aviv for my son (19) departing Sunday, August 20, 2023 from JFK.  I went to the Iceland Air website to reserve a seat for him on the two flights and I was not able to find the reservation.
 I then looked up the ticket (after the 24 hour grace period) on chase travel and  I saw that there was a mistake on the ticket.  Instead of being on my son's name it was booked on mine.  However, the gender and date of birth on the ticket was that of my son.
I called chase and they attempted to help me get the name changed.  Iceland air refused to change the name, saying it could only be rebooked under my name for another time (which would exceed the cost of the ticket).  Further the reason I could l not find  the  ticket on Iceland Air website under my own name is because they booked the ticket on Iceland with my middle initial as the first letter of my last name.
so the last name, gender and date of birth all don't match with mine. but apparently that iceland would change to my correct info for a fee.  (I have a different last name than my son).
However as the ticket is meant for my son to return to yeshiva, that is not what the ticket is for.  When the iceland air option was exhausted with the chase agent, I insisted to the chase agent that there was no way I could have booked the ticket with my name and my son's date of birth and gender - since all our info is stored and when I select my son's name on the chase travel website - it completes the form with his name and dob etc.  if I select myself it has my name and dob.  He agreed to have chase investigate it via their technical area - they ultimately got back to me and said it was not found to be an error on their part - though there was nothing as proof he could provide.

I then called Iceland on my own.  and was told they could not change the name and that there was no manager or way to escalate the issue.

Do I have any recourse?  or should I just give up and loose the points.  (its not a time I can travel on a one way ticket to Israel)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Advice on an Iceland Air ticket to Tel Aviv - getting remediation
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 01:17:09 PM »
I am looking for advice with regard to an Iceland Air ticket I purchase with chase points.  I am a sapphire reserve card holder.
Tough situation. This is really what the 24 hour grace period is designed for. You should always check the details then.

But if you think the error was done by Chase or Icelandair, file a DOT complaint.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.