Topic Wiki

Here are the pointers.

The Supreme Court is not elected by representatives of the people. They are elected by other Supreme Court justices as well as from the Israel Bar Association.

The Supreme Court has the ultimate say on any law passed in Israel. They govern purely on "feelings", there is no constitution they base rulings on. This means that if the Knesset passes a bill regardless by what % of MK's voting for the bill. The SC can cancel that law/bill by a simple majority and the knesset cannot do anything about it.

The reform bill basically wants to give the elected officials of the Knesset the ability to choose who should be on the SC just like in the USA. They also want to take away the ability of the SC to cancel basic laws. They want to put the power back in the hands of the knesset who are democratically elected by the people.

This terrifies the left in Israel since they know they will never have a majority again in the Knesset. They will always need to rely on people like Lieberman, who although sat with Lapid is generally Right Wing, Gantz as well is Center Right and will also want more right wing judges if it was up to the Knesset. The left in Israel has only one thing preventing a true right wing country. That is the SC and that is why they are fighting until the bitter end.

« Last edited by username on March 27, 2023, 12:28:23 PM »

Author Topic: Israel: Judicial Reform & Future of Democracy....  (Read 46429 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Israel: Judicial Reform & Future of Democracy....
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2023, 05:32:44 PM »

I am
not res-
ponsible for the typo-
graphy in that statement. Why
can't they do their line
breaks in a more normal way (especially when
using centered
paragraph align-
ment)?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2023, 05:34:46 PM »
Anyone here avoiding Strauss-Elite products? (They are taking full-blown Bolshevik approach and deserve to be avoided).

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-753619
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 03, 2023, 05:40:37 PM »
If anyone is following, this case is a complete farce!

The court has no authority to rule on this. The petition is politically motivated. The AG is a total farce accepting the arguments of the appellant, the Knesset attorney disagrees with the AG and protects the law. The Chief Justice claims to bravely avoid politics (while she has been extremely political, making a political speech a few months ago). The appellant is taking advantage of the live broadcast to talk to the cameras and make a long show, and then claims that his time was cut short from making all his arguments. Even the justices ridiculed that.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/politics-and-diplomacy/article-753610

https://www.timesofisrael.com/wrapping-up-5-hour-hearing-on-pm-recusal-law-high-court-calls-it-clearly-personal/
-- Dan

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #323 on: August 03, 2023, 05:49:37 PM »
Welcome to Israel.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2023, 01:54:35 AM »
Anyone here avoiding Strauss-Elite products? (They are taking full-blown Bolshevik approach and deserve to be avoided).

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-753619
But they make the only chumus my kids will eat, so...
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2023, 03:28:06 PM »
But they make the only chumus my kids will eat, so...

I am unfamiliar with the מצוות אכילת חומוס. You can also make homemade.
-- Dan

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2023, 11:21:12 PM »
I am unfamiliar with the מצוות אכילת חומוס.
in the same פרק as מצות boycott

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2023, 11:49:14 PM »
in the same פרק as מצות boycott

There's no such mitzvah, just a consumer's choice as to where and how to spend their money. I, for example, don't buy KIND bars as I don't like the profits from my spending supporting Daniel Lubetzki's political influence. Do you feel differently?
-- Dan

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #328 on: August 06, 2023, 03:33:01 AM »
I am unfamiliar with the מצוות אכילת חומוס. You can also make homemade.
The mitzva has nothing to do with chummus and more to do with the limited number of (relatively) healthy ways I can get my kids to eat a sandwich. It isn't something I feel I can give up right now. Obviously, the second Rabbi Berkovits says so, every other cheshbon goes out the window, but in most cases it appears he doesn't do product boycotts.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online imayid2

• View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Online yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 04, 2023, 09:21:19 AM »
Thank you. Clear and thorough.

Which partially explains why Israel is a democracy by name only, when it is actually a Juristocracy combined with deep state bureaucracy and plutocracy pulling strings.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2023, 05:25:47 PM »
Which partially explains why Israel is a democracy by name only, when it is actually a Juristocracy combined with deep state bureaucracy and plutocracy pulling strings.

To add insult to injury (not that it wasn't expected) the Chief Justice declined the request to recuse herself from hearing the appeal against the basic law to limit the ability of the court to use the reasonableness clause, due to her public attack on the attempts at judicial reform.
-- Dan

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 05, 2023, 04:31:44 AM »
To add insult to injury (not that it wasn't expected) the Chief Justice declined the request to recuse herself from hearing the appeal against the basic law to limit the ability of the court to use the reasonableness clause, due to her public attack on the attempts at judicial reform.
I would've been shocked otherwise. There doesn't even seem to be a pretense at normal court law anymore - not for years. Why should she recuse herself when her opinion feeling is still the only thing that ever matters?

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 10, 2023, 04:29:53 AM »
https://www.rationalistjudaism.com/p/commander-slifkin-reflects?utm_campaign=email-half-post&r=2qy047&token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjYxODg4MjMsInBvc3RfaWQiOjEzNjg4NDEwOCwiaWF0IjoxNjk0MzMzMDU1LCJleHAiOjE2OTY5MjUwNTUsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0xMjI4ODg1Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.S1YjeABGKpzSL5uEXMbwfmHQuRuORgyG8l11iSGKrY8&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Chareidi takeaway:
Being Orthodox in the army is very challenging. Very. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm surviving my religion instead of living it.
This means:
· Sneaking away to daven so that people don't think that you're doing it so that you don't have to work.
· Feeling bad on fast days that you're either not on base or on base but not helping.
· Not being able to work on Shabbos and so having double the work on motzei Shabbos.
· Walking away from many conversations you feel are inappropriate.
· When I’m in base on Shabbos, staying in the shul most of the time, so that I'm not around phones and music.
· In some situations, not saying what I really think, so that people won't call me out for being the annoying religious one.
· Getting stared at for wearing a skirt.
· Feeling that I don't have so many friends since they all meet up and go out on Friday night or Shabbat.
· Having to sign for vacation days and use them on religious days like erev chag or fast days

I am proving myself at all times 24/7. I have to explain almost everything I do and am considered the “Dosit” everywhere I go. Which was fun and funny in the beginning (when I thought I was saving the world!) but then it gets hard. Let me wear my skirt, eat my food and daven when I want to. Why do I have to explain everything? These are things I still struggle with.

Just yesterday my friends made me a crown that says on it: "נגיעה נגיעה אבל שומר". Which means - I'm “touching the wall” (army slang for being halfway through) but I won't be touching the guys, since I'm shomer negiah.

Her takeaway:
When my mom asked me what I think can help my problems I told her that we need more religious girls to draft. Then these problems will become less of a problem because it would be the norm. I would be surrounded by people similar to me and my beliefs. It’s not that I have a hard time being religious in the army and so I don’t want to be religious. It’s that I have a hard time being religious in the army and so I will work even harder at it. But I can’t do it alone. You can be a religious girl in the army. There are many challenges, but it would only get easier if girls reading this will come and join. Me and the other religious girls in the army can't change it alone, we need you.

My comment:
This is from a woman, frum but not particularly chareidi... and she is honest with the issues that SHE has... And clearly she is not considered the frummy in her home environment
The Chareidi man will have the same problems+ .... and tznius and coed work environment...

Her pluses are:....
my emuna and religious life b"H has gone so much further and deeper than it had been. I push myself to do things I never thought I could. I have grown and have become stronger as a person, a woman, a Jew and an Israeli.
If you don't buy into the secular (or National Religious) Israeli narrative....

@LongTimeLurker @moe8555 your comments?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 05:05:04 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile

Online imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2023, 08:35:18 AM »
https://www.rationalistjudaism.com/p/commander-slifkin-reflects?utm_campaign=email-half-post&r=2qy047&token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxNjYxODg4MjMsInBvc3RfaWQiOjEzNjg4NDEwOCwiaWF0IjoxNjk0MzMzMDU1LCJleHAiOjE2OTY5MjUwNTUsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0xMjI4ODg1Iiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.S1YjeABGKpzSL5uEXMbwfmHQuRuORgyG8l11iSGKrY8&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Chareidi takeaway:
Her takeaway:
My comment:
This is from a woman, frum but not particularly chareidi... and she is honest with the issues that SHE has... And clearly she is not considered the frummy in her home environment
The Chareidi man will have the same problems+ .... and tznius and coed work environment...

Her pluses are:....If you don't buy into the secular (or National Religious) Israeli narrative....

@LongTimeLurker @moe8555 your comments?
Many of these issues are social, so if there would be a larger amount of chareidim serving, they wouldn’t exist.