Author Topic: Seasonal Allergies / Relief Ideas  (Read 12524 times)

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Seasonal Allergies / Relief Ideas
« on: April 16, 2023, 12:23:44 AM »
Rose Fever...

It seems to me that this is one of the health problems affecting more the עם הנבחר unfortunately..

Please post your ideas, what helps, what makes the symptoms less severe etc.

Personally ive felt it stronger this year than past years...

Tried acupuncture, didn't really help..
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal Allergies / Relief Ideas
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 04:25:14 AM »
I take allegra the second the pollen count goes up. Doesn't help on really bad days. When I am really miserable I take Dexamol Cold.
HealthCareAisle Allergy Relief - Fexofenadine Hydrochloride Tablets USP, 180 mg – 90 Tablets – Allergy Medication, Non-Drowsy 24-Hour Allergy Relief ( $16.20)

Amazon Basic Care Cold and Flu Relief; Daytime and Nighttime Combo Pack Softgels; Powerful Cold Medicine for Day and Night Multi-Symptom Relief, 48 Count ($12.91)

how do you know when the pollen rate goes up,is there an official number or update like in the u.s or are you just assuming? (this could be a help for my daughter)
also what does RYBS say about using those softgels?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 06:00:23 AM »
how do you know when the pollen rate goes up,is there an official number or update like in the u.s or are you just assuming? (this could be a help for my daughter)
also what does RYBS say about using those softgels?
https://weather.com/en-GB/forecast/allergy/l/Jerusalem+Israel+ISXX0010:1:IS
I guess you can search Bet Shemesh also?

Um, I use Dexamol from the pharmacy which is not softgells. (With a mirsham it is 32 shekel.) Just I needed to post what it was for those from the states.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 06:28:36 AM »
https://weather.com/en-GB/forecast/allergy/l/Jerusalem+Israel+ISXX0010:1:IS
I guess you can search Bet Shemesh also?

Um, I use Dexamol from the pharmacy which is not softgells. (With a mirsham it is 32 shekel.) Just I needed to post what it was for those from the states.
Big Thanks!

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 08:00:48 AM »
Zyrtec and Claritin both don't work.. what should I try next?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 09:24:53 AM »
Major Allergy Loratadine 10mg, 300 Tablets https://a.co/d/dFcELMB

I was told to take allergy medicine (loratadine) every day, season or not. By the time I realize it’s the season, I’m already toast. Started taking 4 months ago and have been doing well bh. For 3 cents a day it’s not a hard decision.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 10:05:24 AM »
I've been living with this for a long time. A couple of thoughts:

- At the moment, I am using Xyxal, which has been working pretty well over the past few years. I also use Asterpro spray 2x a day.
- If we have a massive heat wave early (like we are in the Northeastern US right now), it causes trees to super pollinate, and Allergies go off the charts.
- If your allergy meds make you drowsy, get a 24 hour one and then take it before bedtime
- Shower before bed - to wash off any pollen that might be on your body from walking outside - especially so if you have a beard, or longer hair.
- Hose down your car
- If you have a home A/C system get an anti-allergen filter. Try not to open your windows

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
Major Allergy Loratadine 10mg, 300 Tablets https://a.co/d/dFcELMB

I was told to take allergy medicine (loratadine) every day, season or not. By the time I realize it’s the season, I’m already toast. Started taking 4 months ago and have been doing well bh. For 3 cents a day it’s not a hard decision.
My doctor told me when I was a teen that Claritin (loratadine) is a Stage 1 suppressor. From when your body detects an allergen in the morning, it takes about 25 minutes to progress from Stage 1 (reaction) to Stage 2 (overdrive, and from your body itself). It also takes Claritin 20 minutes to affect your body. He said if you miss the 5 minute window it is a waste of a pill. But lechora if you religiously pop it first thing in the morning you should be good.
Agav, it worked for me for 7 years and then it stopped helping. Allegra (as in my post above, fexofenadine) was next and that still works most of the time.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 10:53:40 AM »
I once heard that whatever works for you it's best to start them "before" the season.

On really bad days Advil Cold and Flu helped me wonders
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 10:57:53 AM »
Zyrtec and Claritin both don't work.. what should I try next?
Same here.

I take allegra the second the pollen count goes up. Doesn't help on really bad days. When I am really miserable I take Dexamol Cold.
HealthCareAisle Allergy Relief - Fexofenadine Hydrochloride Tablets USP, 180 mg – 90 Tablets – Allergy Medication, Non-Drowsy 24-Hour Allergy Relief ( $16.20)

Amazon Basic Care Cold and Flu Relief; Daytime and Nighttime Combo Pack Softgels; Powerful Cold Medicine for Day and Night Multi-Symptom Relief, 48 Count ($12.91)

Is Allegra better than Claritin / Zyrtec?

Also I see that you are using stuff which are supposed to help for cold / flu. Are those supposed to help off label for allergies?

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 11:06:04 AM »
Cold and Flu medication contains ingredients that help with similar symptoms such as eye itching, nose irritation etc
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
Cold and Flu medication contains ingredients that help with similar symptoms such as eye itching, nose irritation etc
Doesn't it matter what the symptoms are coming from?

Antibiotics will help for a Sore throat when it comes from an infection but won't help if it's from a simple cold.

I'm not trying to argue.. Just wanting to have a basic understanding..

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 11:48:25 AM »
Doesn't it matter what the symptoms are coming from?

Antibiotics will help for a Sore throat when it comes from an infection but won't help if it's from a simple cold.

I'm not trying to argue.. Just wanting to have a basic understanding..
Antibiotics target the conditions these target the symptoms
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 11:59:06 AM »
I've tried numerous Claritin products over the years and NONE have ever helped me, to the point that I started believing that the whole company is just placebos...

I find that Zyrtec works well, but it only starts working on the 3rd or 4th day, so make sure to take it consistently. I have a kid with bad allergies and I give him liquid Zyrtec every night. Every once in a while I stop and after a few days he develops a terrible cough and cold, so I start again.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 12:27:50 PM »
Same here.
Is Allegra better than Claritin / Zyrtec?

Also I see that you are using stuff which are supposed to help for cold / flu. Are those supposed to help off label for allergies?
I went from Claritin to Allegra when Claritin stopped working for me.
The stronger stuff is simply that - stronger. Also Allegra is supposed to be stopping me from getting to the stage where I have a cold, but when it does not, the "cold" stuff aint a cure - simply a symptom mitigator for sneezing, running mucus, dry throats/coughing, and sinus headaches. (This is as stated by others here.) It is more powerful but shouldn't be taken constantly (and you are supposed to watch your caffeine/alcohol intake when on it).

I've tried numerous Claritin products over the years and NONE have ever helped me, to the point that I started believing that the whole company is just placebos...
My doctor's taina (as posted above) might help with that one. How many people take Claritin within five minutes of their first sneeze?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
With your doctor's theory you might as well just take it at night before going to sleep like that it will be actively working in the morning.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 02:23:20 AM »
With your doctor's theory you might as well just take it at night before going to sleep like that it will be actively working in the morning.
Truth, except that it wouldn't be working at night before I went to sleep on a day with a later schedule. I was so sensitive then that it started to wane at the end of the effective time. If that was the middle of the night, while I was sleeping, it wouldn't be relevant.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 06:12:47 AM »
Truth, except that it wouldn't be working at night before I went to sleep on a day with a later schedule. I was so sensitive then that it started to wane at the end of the effective time. If that was the middle of the night, while I was sleeping, it wouldn't be relevant.
We tried giving my daughter (who suffers from alot of sneezing) the loratadine first thing in the morning today as per your advice. So far so good. She came home from school excited that she didn't sneeze today.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 03:04:09 AM »
We tried giving my daughter (who suffers from alot of sneezing) the loratadine first thing in the morning today as per your advice. So far so good. She came home from school excited that she didn't sneeze today.
Okay, now we need more scientific evidence. Anyone to try a placebo instead?  ;D