Author Topic: Cancelling reward ticket on Continental  (Read 2609 times)

Offline S G

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Cancelling reward ticket on Continental
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
I booked quite a few reward tickets a month back using 160K miles (2 round trip tickets for 2 people). But due to sudden change of plans I will not be able to fly on those tickets.

I checked with continental and they are asking for $150 for cancelling each ticket per person to refund the miles, a total of $600.

Is there any way I can get around this fee? I may not travel in near future (may more than a year) and looking at the revised mileage expiry rules does it make sense for me to get those miles back by paying this fee?

Any inputs/help would be highly appreciated  :D

Thanks.

SG

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Cancelling reward ticket on Continental
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:56 PM »
If you may use them in the future just change the dates for free.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
I booked quite a few reward tickets a month back using 160K miles (2 round trip tickets for 2 people). But due to sudden change of plans I will not be able to fly on those tickets.

I checked with continental and they are asking for $150 for cancelling each ticket per person to refund the miles, a total of $600.

Is there any way I can get around this fee? I may not travel in near future (may more than a year) and looking at the revised mileage expiry rules does it make sense for me to get those miles back by paying this fee?

Any inputs/help would be highly appreciated  :D

Thanks.

SG

If you can somehow get CO status (similar for UA), your fees would be cheaper or free. You can also try changing to a later date (and possibly breaking it down to different segments) with the hope that one of the flight schedules change, in which case they might waive the redeposit fee for you.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline S G

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
If you can somehow get CO status (similar for UA), your fees would be cheaper or free. You can also try changing to a later date (and possibly breaking it down to different segments) with the hope that one of the flight schedules change, in which case they might waive the redeposit fee for you.

Thanks Dan and Asher.

One of my tickets has a slight schedule change (just 30 mins). I just spoke to the representative and they mentioned that they cannot cancel the reservation without redeposit fee however it can be changed free of cost. I will try again though by changing my reservation but not sure if that will help as I am not going to travel on these tickets.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
however it can be changed free of cost.
They always can be for 21+ days out.
If you can't use them, you can always keep changing the dates and hope for a weather waiver.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline S G

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »
They always can be for 21+ days out.
If you can't use them, you can always keep changing the dates and hope for a weather waiver.
Can you keep on doing this for more than a year?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
Can you keep on doing this for more than a year?
Officially just for a year from the date of issue, but unofficially I've kept doing it for longer than that so YMMV.

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
What is the cancel policy for a new reservation booked with UA miles on USAirways?  24 hours from time of reservation, midnight the next evening or 48 hours? 

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:07:58 PM »
24 hours.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but I searched the threads and couldn't find an exact answer. Obviously, if it's out there, feel free to point me in the correct direction.

I'm looking to book CO award tik this summer for s/o. Currently, there is Saver availability only on the way to Israel, not back. On the way back though, I found a certain reasonable date where there is biz class availability at 60k, which would make the whole tik come out to 100k, which while doable, isn't ideal, especially since the tik on the way back has an extra stopover.

So I'm looking for advice on what is either possible, or optimal.
1) Book the return tik at the discounted biz class, and hope that Saver availability for coach opens up and switch to that. (Is it allowed to change an award ticket to a different type of award, or is a fee charged?)
2) Book the return tik for a much later date when there is availability at 40k, and hope that s/t opens up earlier so I can change the return date (w/ no fee to my understanding).

Any thoughts out there? Would be appreciated.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but I searched the threads and couldn't find an exact answer. Obviously, if it's out there, feel free to point me in the correct direction.

I'm looking to book CO award tik this summer for s/o. Currently, there is Saver availability only on the way to Israel, not back. On the way back though, I found a certain reasonable date where there is biz class availability at 60k, which would make the whole tik come out to 100k, which while doable, isn't ideal, especially since the tik on the way back has an extra stopover.

So I'm looking for advice on what is either possible, or optimal.
1) Book the return tik at the discounted biz class, and hope that Saver availability for coach opens up and switch to that. (Is it allowed to change an award ticket to a different type of award, or is a fee charged?)
2) Book the return tik for a much later date when there is availability at 40k, and hope that s/t opens up earlier so I can change the return date (w/ no fee to my understanding).

Any thoughts out there? Would be appreciated.
does the returning flight have the availability for the flight youd prefer in couach at the saverpass level? then you can do this this.

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
book the r/t as described and wait list the return flights on the direct flights. you can wait  list two flights so do both.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
book the r/t as described and wait list the return flights on the direct flights. you can wait  list two flights so do both.
As described in #1 or #2?

Still confused. Do they allow changing from biz to economy on an award ticket w/o a fee? And do they allow a date change on an award ticket and then refund the difference in miles needed if the amt decreases?

I read part of the linked thread and remained confused. Maybe I need to spend some more time in it.