Author Topic: Sender Zeyv Books  (Read 1124 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Sender Zeyv Books
« on: May 12, 2023, 07:29:48 PM »
or better yet, turn the missle right back
You been reading this?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 10:50:37 AM by Dan »

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The funny/strange/interesting/random pictures thread
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:29:13 PM »
Does Sender Zeyv make any other books?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 10:56:11 PM »
He had a two part series about a slave, the second part which was serialized in the Mishpacha.

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 11:02:21 PM »
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 11:56:10 PM »
Nice, are they similar style? That guy got some talent
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 04:36:46 AM »
Amazing. Hopefully one day they can invent something similar that goes after the launcher as well as the launchee
Actually, they do automatically detect the source location and send a missile there, or so I'm told. Anyone else heard this?

And now a picture:

Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 07:50:37 AM »
or better yet, turn the missle right back
Will have to wait for the Amid ha’anan for that
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 08:14:27 AM »
or better yet, turn the missile right back
There was a Jewish novel based on this concept. I can't remember the name, but I laughed pretty hard. Then I put it down and started reading something else

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 08:25:26 AM »

Never heard of this, but reading the description of the story on Amazon really makes it sound interesting.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

Offline bochur22

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 08:53:53 AM »
There was a Jewish novel based on this concept. I can't remember the name, but I laughed pretty hard. Then I put it down and started reading something else
Here we are!
https://www.amazon.com/-/he/G-Halevi/dp/1680250477
https://cdn.powered-by-nitrosell.com/product_images/11/2547/Operation%20Magic%20Wand.JPG

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Sender Zeyv Books
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 12:20:33 PM »
Never heard of this, but reading the description of the story on Amazon really makes it sound interesting.
It's definitely interesting
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »
He had a two part series about a slave, the second part which was serialized in the Mishpacha.
The first one was once serialized as well way back when, I don’t remember which publication. Perhaps the Yated or the Jewish Press? That’s where I was introduced to his work.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 05:05:46 PM »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 11:45:03 PM »
Fascinating convo here:
https://www.rationalistjudaism.com/p/new-york-new-jersey-new-inspiration/comments
sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 17
If you are going to talk about book bans and condemnations, you should include a bit about at least three other books. The Maiden of Ludmir, My uncle the Netziv and my book, Aleph Shin. Aleph Shin was not actually banned because the power that be concluded an official ban would make it more popular, but I have a lot on the proposed ban that I might share.

Clif
Feb 20
Alef Shin was fantastic except two points (in my opinion).

1) Moshiach ending is always a killer for a book.

2) As it being a frum book (with him being moshiach no less) to allow them to have tatoos on their feet against halacha, as well planning on sending the married men in the submarine to start a new life even when knowingly leaving their wives to think they can remarry and thus create mamzerim gives it a bad religous vibe overall.

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 20
Clif, either you forgot or didn't understand what was written in the book. 1. the married men gave their wives gittin... no mamzerim and they could remarry. 2. they were NOT tatoos. The halacha is a tatoo is only if INK is injected under the skin. These were plain burn marks. 3. As for Moshiach. The character is Never called Moshiach in the book, nor does he claim to be. However, according to the Rambam, the Moshiach, besides a great gadol b'torah must be a great warrior.

Clif
Feb 21
Granted it has been a few years since reading it. From my recollection they were tatoos but as you're the author I trust that's what it was. In regards to the gittin, again from remembering from many years ago, it was only when one of the people told his rabbi about the mission did he arrange gittin for them. In regards to moshiach you know what they say "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..." definitely insinuating if not downright saying he's moshiach.

David Staum
Feb 21
I hadn't heard of Aleph Shin before, but after reading the comments here, I was intrigued. I do most of my (non Shabbat) reading on my Kindle. Have you considered making it available as an e-book? I don't see that option on Amazon.

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 22
That is an idea. The Rumspringa Kallah is on Kindle.

Just Curious
Feb 19
What is “Aleph Shin”?

sander goldberg
Feb 19
A frum novel that came out in 2000. One of the most popular frum novels in history.

Moshe Rubin
Feb 20
How can one obtain your books?

sander goldberg
Feb 21
B'mechilas Reb Noson for using this comment section for personal purposes. senderzeyv@gmail.com

Joe Berry
Feb 19
Hi Sender. I had no idea your book Aleph Shin was "banned". I would be so curious to know more details. Personally, I found the book very enjoyable; read it a couple of times and have shared it with a number of people.

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 19
Hi Joe, There was a "bottom-feeder" who contacted all the bookstores to ban it but only one listened to him. After it started to sell in England, Lehman Distributors banned it and sent back the remaining copies. I had a long talk with Rav Matisyahu Solomon about it that was not very pleasant, but in the end, he did not ban it. Judaica Plaza would not sell it when it first came out (I think because of the same bottom-feeder), but shortly later did sell it and sold a lot of it. The Jewish Observer wrote an article lambasting it and would not allow me to reply.

Don Coyote
Feb 19
Which issue of the JO?

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 20
11-2000 edition of the Jewish Observer article by Pinchas Jung.

Don Coyote
Feb 21
Thank you.

It must be this:

"A typical example is one of the latest, best-selling, techno-thrillers, complete with three letters of approval from well-known rabbinic personalities reproduced on the back cover. "The story includes numerous episodes of people becoming involved in all the undesirable activities that we are battling today. A Jewish man becomes involved with a young woman he believes to be non-Jewish. A Jewish youngster gets entangled with drug dealers and a gentile girl; there are shooting incidents and samples of rough language along the way. "Have the approving rabbis indeed read the entire book? Do they honestly believe that this is ideal reading material for our youth? If so, we have a new problem."

I was not aware that a reviewer at the JO is qualified to find approbations of well-known rabbinic personalities problematic. I was not aware that a reviewer at the JO is meant to make his objections public without first consulting those well-known rabbinic personalities who granted the approbations. Unless he has received the backing of any particular well-known rabbi who the JO accepts as an authority over those well-known rabbinic personalities .

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 21
That's it. I wrote a comprehensive response that the JO refused to print. I was told, "let sleeping dogs lie."

Ash
Feb 17
Wait, your that Sender Zeyv!? Cool. How about your Romantic Amish Mamzer book? Surprised that wasn't banned. I thought it was pretty gutsy of you to write such a book - good for you!

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 19
You read The Rumpsringa Kallah? That book wasn't banned because none of the frum publishers will even publish it!

Joe Berry
Feb 20
Whoa... I didn't know this book exists. Just now read the review on Amazon. Sounds quite interesting. Will be buying it.

Ash
Feb 19
I read the kindle preview, which is quite lengthy.

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 19
if you read these kind of books, read the whole thing, you will love it.

MD
Feb 19
Sender, just curious. Why are mamzerim and mamzerus a recurrent theme in almost all your books?

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 20
It's not. Just in The Rumspringa Kallah   

Ash
Feb 20
I would love to. I do most of my reading on Shabbos. Is there any way to purchase a hard copy? If there is, I would gladly buy it. I would also love a copy of Every Man A Slave as well. Thank you!

sender zeyv goldberg
Writes sender’s Substack
Feb 21
Contact me at senderzeyv@gmail.com. Every Man A Slave is out of print.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 01:40:06 AM »

Okay....

So I just finished this book. Didn't read every line in it, but skimmed it.

There are two things going on in this book. One is a really wacky storyline about a Chassidish guy who finds out that he's a mamzar so he goes undercover as an Amish guy to try to convince an Amish girl to convert by becoming his shifcha kenanis and thus be allowed to marry him and have kosher children.

The second aspect of this book is the conversations he has with her, in which he argues against and disproves many of the Christian beliefs. Those conversations are very much dispersed into the storyline, in a very similar format to the way Abie Rotenberg infuses the storyline of "The Season of Pepsi Meyers" with hashkafic ideas and speeches.

Now here's my analysis. I enjoyed the overall book, with all it's signature Sender Zeyv quirkiness. The storyline is completely unrealistic, but so is his other books. There is something about his almost geeky, always-works-out type of storytelling that is interesting and relatable.

However, I thoroughly did not like the discussions of Christianity in the book. It's one thing to discuss hashkafah, like Abie Rotenberg does. It's a whole 'nother thing to discuss Peter and Luke and Yoshke and all those other subjects - even if your goal is to discredit them. It's highly questionable le'halacha to study those things, and perhaps someone who has to deal with certain people should know those topics, I don't think putting them into a novel is the correct place for that. The only redeeming factor for this critique is that it was very easy to simply gloss over those paragraphs, and to just skip to where the storyline picks up again.

Overall, it was really enjoyable to read a Sender Zeyv book that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 01:41:23 AM »
I found it amusing that he took a swipe at Chabad in the book...

and on the next page, after the Chabad shliach figures out that he's really a frum Yid