Topic Wiki

Dan's TR: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/87280

Summary of kosher food options in the bay area:

Restaurants:
(all under hashgacha of the Sunrise Kosher / Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California unless otherwise stated)

San Francisco
Sabra Grill (Chinatown)
L'chaim Foods (not a restaurant, take out / delivery only) currently "Under Orthodox Certification of Rabbi Joel Landau."
Frena Bakery (formerly Taboon) Two locations, One downtown and one in the Richmond district, which just opened Jan 2019.

East Bay
Amba Falafel (Oakland) (Fleishig as of 4/28/14). Pas Yisroel available by request CLOSED
Oakland Kosher (Oakland) Fleishigs. Check for certs on www.restaurant.com.
Cafe 3 at UC Berkeley
Touro Kitchen in Vallejo, CA - http://dining.tu.edu/menu.html

South Bay
Izzy's Bagels (Palo Alto) Pas Yisroel. Some Items Cholov Yisroel, Check the kashrus certificate, Open on Shabbos
Jerusalem Grill (Palo Alto area)  not Kosher, no Kashrus certification, not Jewish owned (as of Nov.22, 2015)
Pars Kosher Market in San Jose, certified by the Vaad, now has a small eat in section (4 tables, first come first serve) with a short meat menu and ready made hot food. Also lots of kosher groceries.
Stanford University Cafeteria weekday lunches five days a week and dinners Monday - Thurs. General public can pay at Florence Moore Dorm and enjoy the Kosher section. Fleishig (meat) for both meals each day. Flo-Mo, as it is called, is on Mayfield Ave., across from the parking lot of Tressidor.  Finding the dining hall can be a challenge for outsiders but any student will direct you.

Groceries (etc):

San Francisco
CHOUX Bakery - French cream puffs (Haight-Ashbury) Pas yisroel, cholov yisroel. No longer certified kosher / open on Shabbos.

East Bay
Oakland Kosher.
Grand Bakery (Oakland) Pas Yisroel, Dairy items are NOT cholov yisroel. Closing 12/23/16
Berkeley Bowl (Berkeley) has some kosher items.
Costco (Definitely the one in Richmond. I believe this applies to others in the Bay Area, but this is what I know firsthand.) has cholov yisroel cheese and Jack's sausages. (As of August 2014)

South Bay
I believe Mollie Stone's in Palo Alto has a big Kosher selection. there are probably other options there as well.

Author Topic: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread  (Read 81764 times)

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread
« Reply #690 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:59 PM »
The Rabbi in Oakland is very much frum... I stayed at his house once. Don't know the Rabbi in Berkley.

Know the Rabbi in Oakland VERY WELL. Ehrliche Yid.
I need to have a chat with him about this hechsher.

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread
« Reply #691 on: June 24, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
Going SF next week and staying near Union Square. We were planning on Shabbos meals at Chabad but a friend just told me it’s not such a safe area and he wouldn’t walk around there at night. Apparently you have to step over s lot of  homeless people. Any truth to that? Are they more and less safe routes to take?

It's better than your friend is making it seem. I've been there atleast 10x in the last 2 years. The homeless are harmless in that area.