2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 379801 times)

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »
HOLD ON a minute! First, I don't have any points with Hyatt, just SPG and Marriot. Just used SPG for our stay at the Westin, which is also very nice. The thing I saw you say - something about Mozart and Paprika - we talking Scottsdale area??? Didn't see anything about these places anywhere. As I have to go to airport soon, please let me know. Thanks.
lol yes, Scottsdale.

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #461 on: January 27, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
lol yes, Scottsdale.
YO! How come no one mentioned these places. Whose hechsher? Both in same building? Thanks so much
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 27, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
YO! How come no one mentioned these places. Whose hechsher? Both in same building? Thanks so much
Right next door to e/o. Take a look at google maps. You can google the hechsher too I assume GIYF!

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #463 on: January 28, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Right next door to e/o. Take a look at google maps. You can google the hechsher too I assume GIYF!
went to Shul. Guy said Mozart is closed. Called. No answer. Any other place u know for breakfast?
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 28, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
Can u also message me. So I'll know I got message. Difficult using the phone

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 28, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
Anyone know where to get all our stuff for Shabbos meals like wine, food and groceries? We are at the Weston villas in Scottsdale. TIA.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:43 AM »
Anyone know where to get all our stuff for Shabbos meals like wine, food and groceries? We are at the Weston villas in Scottsdale. TIA.

If you don't want to go all the way down to Segals, there is a Kroger's grocery (I believe it's a Fry's) that has a kosher section and you can get all that stuff on Cactus and Tatum. There is also a Trader Joes very close by that has Challah, kosher meat and boxes of kosher grape juice that we use for kiddush when traveling.

Offline Elgnt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »
Hows the westin?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 02, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
Hows the westin?

I've been there already 3 or 4 times and it's one of my favorite places for an easy, low-stress getaway with the family.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 03, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
Hows the westin?
I've been there already 3 or 4 times and it's one of my favorite places for an easy, low-stress getaway with the family.
Ok. We are back. When you say the Westin realize that there is the hotel and then the villas. We stayed at the villas, used the spa at the hotel. When you use the villas you are able to use the hotel facilities as well. Based on info found in this chat I emailed as well as called the westin before we left ny and requested a better room. SPG Gold doesn't get any privileges at the Villas, maybe because it's a time share facility. Nevertheless, they gave me the room we requested. They were extremely nice. We stayed 6 nights, relaxed and did little else, so this is not quite a TR you would expect. The villa has a kitchen, living room and bedroom. Has a balcony. Other than that, no windows, which, honestly, we didn't even realize till we were there a while. You open the porch door and that's fine. As expected, facing the golf course, it was very quiet. In reality, the entire Villa grounds were nice and quiet. When we arrived we were quite thirsty and the person behind the desk got us 6 small waters so we didn't have to run out. We got 500 SPG points for each day we didn't use cleaning. (It hasn't posted to my account yet, have a call in), Food - We went to Segals a couple of times. Food was good. Service a little lacking as far as speed, but nice staff. Had your standard chicken dishes. No dessert. Went to La Bella for pizza motzei Shabbos. Large selection. Very good. We went to Manhatten pizza for breakfast. Run down, small, not too appetizing a place, but the food was actually good. All other breakfasts we ate at the JCC in Scottsdale. We went to Kitchen 18 Sunday night and couldn't get in - 45 minute wait. That's when we hit Segal the second time. Kitchen 18 folks said they're breaking records on attendance. We ate there Monday night and the food is quite good, staff very friendly (not so friendly Sunday night, but they were overwhelmed). Now Shabbos. We first checked Kitchen 18 food. It was like going to a restaurant and picking out some dishes. We wanted "Shabbos" food. Saw segal had package deals (definitely not a package of what we wanted). They said no cholent. We went to Imperial. No cholent unless you order 3 pounds minimum? That'll never fly in Flatbush! Anyway, in Imperial you saw everything in front of you and picked what you wanted. No liver, except frozen Meal Mart. We bought our stuff there. We were totally not impressed with the food. Very unhappy. The chopped liver was sawdust. Shabbos - We walked to the Torah Center (Rabbi Shoshan). Last time we went to Scottsdale, 5 years ago, it took around 25 minutes to get there. It seems they moved. Instead of googles 45 minutes, it took us an hour walking slower. Never again. That's just because I can't do the walk. We met another couple, same issue. The shul is very nice to go to though. We did very little. We did do the wild west jeep ride, we thought a very good trip. Very educational. We did one day at the spa. Other than that we just relaxed. The weather, until Monday night, was beautiful Cold in the morning and beautiful the rest of the day. As an aside, we used AA for the trip JFK-PHX and the entire staff on both sides were overly pleasant to deal with and things moved very fast. The steward/stewardesses were just okay. Sorry about very little detail but we really went to just relax. We picked this instead of florida because every one else went there! We recommend the trip, but be careful about where the shul is for Shabbos. (We bought tape for the door and refridgerator for Shabbos and it worked fine.)

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 03, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Nice TR - especially helpful info about the hotel and food situations. And Mutty, Scottsdale ain't Flatbush!

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:34 PM »
Nice TR - especially helpful info about the hotel and food situations. And Mutty, Scottsdale ain't Flatbush!
There are people in the universe that go without cholent?!
BTW, speaking of it's not Flatbush. I couldn't believe how nice and friendly people were out there. Every single person you pass says hello with a smile. Very different than some other places I know.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
There are people in the universe that go without cholent?!
BTW, speaking of it's not Flatbush. I couldn't believe how nice and friendly people were out there. Every single person you pass says hello with a smile. Very different than some other places I know.
True that!

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:50 AM »
are there any points hotels closer to shul?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
are there any points hotels closer to shul?
Yes. There's a Marriot properety (I think Fairmont or something like that) next door. Go to the Scottsdale Torah Center (Rabbi Shoshan, Rav) site. They have all the info there for food, hotels, etc.

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
thx. which airport would i fly into?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
thx. which airport would i fly into?

PHX

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 19, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
Looking to go to phoenix in 2 weekends.  Have Marriott, SPG, ad Hyatt points.  It seems like Hyatt Regency and Phoenician are of the best ones to go to on points.  Which is better for a weekend getaway for anniversary. TIA

Offline caliheat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 20, 2016, 01:00:10 AM »
Looking to go to phoenix in 2 weekends.  Have Marriott, SPG, ad Hyatt points.  It seems like Hyatt Regency and Phoenician are of the best ones to go to on points.  Which is better for a weekend getaway for anniversary. TIA
I would recommend the Phoenician

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 21, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »
I would recommend the Phoenician
Me too. Beautiful hotel.