ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Activities

Phoenix

Lucky Strike Lanes
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Nordstrom Last Chance - Only one in the world. Amazing deals and great finds! (Close to Segal's)
Phoenix Coyotes
Arizona Diamondbacks
Phoenix Suns
Bearizona
Encanto Park

Grand Canyon
South Kaibab Trail- One of the top rated trails for the GC
Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC
Skywalk
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Tucson
Saguaro National Park

Restaurants

Phoenix

King Solomon's Pizza - Great food, try the zeplins! Menu Address closed
Segal's Oasis Grill- Best ribs I've ever had! Menu Address
Samarkand Restaurant Map
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant- excellent food! http://www.labellapizzeriaandrestaurant.com
phenomenal pizza @ great prices... pizza and dairy 8/10... sushi 6/10

Zabari Grill - Israeli (Shwarma/falafel) clean pleace for AZ... food 6/10   [/size]http://zabarigrill.com/
613 Grill

[/size]Scottsdale
Kitchen 18
Milk & honey @JCC great food but not cholov yisroel (They do have cholov yisroel cheese)

Groceries[/color]

Segal's One Stop Kosher Foods Map
Imperial Market & Deli Map

[/size]Shuls[/i]

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

yuneeq's Maps

Activities, Restaurants, Shuls, and some other stuff in Phoenix
http://goo.gl/maps/OFL8z
Full day trip from Phoenix to Grand Canyon with a stop off at Sedona
http://goo.gl/maps/qy0hy

Going to AZ in the summer? Trying to beat the heat? Pack a sweater. Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon and most of Utah are usually in the 40s at night, even in August!

Other & More Info Click Here
« Last edited by tmendy226 on May 15, 2019, 08:40:30 PM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 147427 times)

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2016, 11:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am officially booked at the Phoenician from Thur-Sunday ;D First trip without the baby (over 2 yrs old) so I think the relaxing route will be more appreciated by my wife.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 29, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
Is it worth renting a car or should I use an Uber to get around?

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 29, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »
Is it worth renting a car or should I use an Uber to get around?

Scottsdale is far from the airport and the restaurants in Phoenix (although there are restaurants in Scottsdale too).  On our trip last month was the first time we didn't rent a car and only did Uber. It was way more convenient BUT we stayed in Central Phoenix and only went to the restaurants close by.  If you're just going to stay around your hotel it will probably about the same money and way more convenient not to rent a car.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 29, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
So basically if I plan on going to Segals or the Pizza place I am better of renting a car. Thanks

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 29, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
So basically if I plan on going to Segals or the Pizza place I am better of renting a car. Thanks

Yep exactly ;)

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #500 on: March 30, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
Yep exactly ;)
I agree. Rent a car. If you have Costco membership try them. Even if you find a good price, after booking, keep trying. My price went down three times. And they were the cheapest.
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline bigworld

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Any one ever stay in vrbo type of place in Scottsdale or Phoenix that they recommend?

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 31, 2016, 08:00:20 PM »
Any one ever stay in vrbo type of place in Scottsdale or Phoenix that they recommend?

Not VRBO but rented tons of timeshares, which to me are the best of both worlds of the room of an apartment and amenities of a hotel.

Offline bigworld

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 01, 2016, 12:34:07 AM »
Not VRBO but rented tons of timeshares, which to me are the best of both worlds of the room of an apartment and amenities of a hotel.
Was looking in particular for a place with a private pool-time share wont cut it.

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 01, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
Was looking in particular for a place with a private pool-time share wont cut it.

ah that makes sense...

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:24 AM »
Scottsdale TR

While living in Silver Spring I was able to take advantage of all the direct flights going out of BWI from southwest.  Having a CP was amazing. Unfortunately, for the time being I moved to NY after school which has very few direct flights from southwest.  Zika narrowed down my options for a vacation spot as well.  However, I was able to find availability on the one daily direct flight from EWR to PHX on my anniversary weekend.  This made my decision a lot easier and I booked a flight from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

After all the advice from DDFers I booked us a room at the Phoenician and rented a car from Fox.

The Phoenician is a really nice resort with a great staff.  It is also very well located.  However, I would like to point out that there is a resort fee ($30) and fee to self park ($12).  Tomorrow morning I will be looking to waive the resort fee and will update on the outcome. 

On Thursday my flight arrived around 3:30pm and we went straight to the hotel to check-in.  After walking around the hotel we decided to go to last chance.  Definitely recommend going.  If you sift through enough of their garbage patiently you will find amazing deals.  After last chance we went to Segals for dinner.  Have to say I was not so impressed.  I would probably go the chinese route next time instead of the short ribs. Fried wontons were okay. After dinner we went back to hang out at the resort and went to sleep.

On Friday I ended up waking up at around 6am due to the time difference with the east coast.  I called the concierge to see what I could do around the hotel and she recommended that I go on a hike of camelback mountain that was guided and left around 645.  The hike was actually amazing.  I never went to Hawaii and I am not such a big hiker, but I really thought it was a great experience (it was a also great weather for a hike).  The views on the summit were beautiful and you were able to get a nice 360 degree view of the PHX/Scottsdale area.  After the hike we went to pick up food at Imperial for Shabbat.  From there we went to Fresh Mint.  Have to say I am not a big vegetarian food type of guy so Ill leave a review for on that for someone else.  They did make a good limeade though.  After lunch we went to the hotel to hang out by the pool.  The pool area was amazing. They have many pools.  They even had one area with volleyball which was fun.  The pool area also had a water park type area for little kids.  This was actually the first trip we took without our 2 yr old, but there were so many activities for little kids around the hotel (feeding fish by pond, bubbles by the lawn, etc)

Saturday was relaxing.  The rooms have nice size balconies which allowed for us to make our Shabbat meals outdoors.  In the morning we walked around the hotel's cactus garden which was actually a decent size and pretty cool.  At night there was a movie showing for kids by the pool with glow in the dark tubes to hang out in the pool.  After the movie we went to Labella Pizzeria.  The calzones and pizza were actually very good and highly recommended.

Looking forward to coming back with my little son so that he can enjoy.  Hopefully next time I find the time to stay a little longer so that I can go to Sedona and GC.  However, if your looking for a place to just chill, Scottsdale alone will be enough to have a great time (at least if staying at Phoenician).

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 03, 2016, 11:27:39 PM »
Scottsdale TR

While living in Silver Spring I was able to take advantage of all the direct flights going out of BWI from southwest.  Having a CP was amazing. Unfortunately, for the time being I moved to NY after school which has very few direct flights from southwest.  Zika narrowed down my options for a vacation spot as well.  However, I was able to find availability on the one daily direct flight from EWR to PHX on my anniversary weekend.  This made my decision a lot easier and I booked a flight from Thursday afternoon to Sunday morning.

After all the advice from DDFers I booked us a room at the Phoenician and rented a car from Fox.

The Phoenician is a really nice resort with a great staff.  It is also very well located.  However, I would like to point out that there is a resort fee ($30) and fee to self park ($12).  Tomorrow morning I will be looking to waive the resort fee and will update on the outcome. 

On Thursday my flight arrived around 3:30pm and we went straight to the hotel to check-in.  After walking around the hotel we decided to go to last chance.  Definitely recommend going.  If you sift through enough of their garbage patiently you will find amazing deals.  After last chance we went to Segals for dinner.  Have to say I was not so impressed.  I would probably go the chinese route next time instead of the short ribs. Fried wontons were okay. After dinner we went back to hang out at the resort and went to sleep.

On Friday I ended up waking up at around 6am due to the time difference with the east coast.  I called the concierge to see what I could do around the hotel and she recommended that I go on a hike of camelback mountain that was guided and left around 645.  The hike was actually amazing.  I never went to Hawaii and I am not such a big hiker, but I really thought it was a great experience (it was a also great weather for a hike).  The views on the summit were beautiful and you were able to get a nice 360 degree view of the PHX/Scottsdale area.  After the hike we went to pick up food at Imperial for Shabbat.  From there we went to Fresh Mint.  Have to say I am not a big vegetarian food type of guy so Ill leave a review for on that for someone else.  They did make a good limeade though.  After lunch we went to the hotel to hang out by the pool.  The pool area was amazing. They have many pools.  They even had one area with volleyball which was fun.  The pool area also had a water park type area for little kids.  This was actually the first trip we took without our 2 yr old, but there were so many activities for little kids around the hotel (feeding fish by pond, bubbles by the lawn, etc)

Saturday was relaxing.  The rooms have nice size balconies which allowed for us to make our Shabbat meals outdoors.  In the morning we walked around the hotel's cactus garden which was actually a decent size and pretty cool.  At night there was a movie showing for kids by the pool with glow in the dark tubes to hang out in the pool.  After the movie we went to Labella Pizzeria.  The calzones and pizza were actually very good and highly recommended.

Looking forward to coming back with my little son so that he can enjoy.  Hopefully next time I find the time to stay a little longer so that I can go to Sedona and GC.  However, if your looking for a place to just chill, Scottsdale alone will be enough to have a great time (at least if staying at Phoenician).

Sounds great and so glad it all worked out in the end!

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 03, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »
Scottsdale TR

Resort fee is easily waived there IME.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:16 AM »
Thanks @Denverite.  And yes @tzifanya54 I was able to get the fee waived. 

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 04, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
Thanks @Denverite.  And yes @tzifanya54 I was able to get the fee waived.
Good for you. I've stayed there a few times, and always found them very pleasant to deal with.