2014 - VacationLover's Sedona and the Grand Canyon TR
2015 - PBaruch's Dreams of Flight - Hummingbirds and Arizona
2016 - Pbaruch's Motorhome Adventures in Utah and Arizona
2016 - drewsky9's Arizona Trip Report
2016 - MahRabuMasecha's Vegas Zion Page Grand Canyon Sedona TR
2016 - ShlockDoc's Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
2017 - Davidmal's Phoenix & Scottsdale for 5 Hours
2018 - Ikelunious99's Arizona Trip Report

Utah has it's own master thread and wiki at https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15858.0

Activities

Phoenix

Arizona Cardinals (NFL Football)
Arizona Coyotes (NHL Hockey)
Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB Baseball)
Phoenix Suns (NBA Basketball)

Camelback Mountain
Desert Botanical Garden
Encanto Park
Goldfield Ghost Town
Japanese Friendship Garden
Lost Dutchman State Park
Nordstrom Last Chance - one of the few in the world.
Octance Raceway- Extremely fast Go-Karting
Scottsdale Old Town

Arizona Science Center (Indoor)
Museum of Musical Instruments (Indoor)
Queen Creek Olive Mill (Olive farm and mill, with Olive 101 'factory' tour)
Arizona Boardwalk (entertainment complex, with aquarium, butterfly conservatory, etc. www.azboardwalk.com)
Children’s Museum of Phoenix (for kids under age 10, they claim to be top 3 Children's Museum in the country).

Sedona, AZ
Stunning red rock formations and scenery viewable throughout the small city with unique views along the many hiking trails (including Devil's bridge, West Fork Trail, and Sugar Loaf Loop)
Off road jeep tours (e.g. Pink Jeep Tours)
eclectic outdoor shopping
Slide rock state park: Natural water slide in creek (just north of Sedona)

Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim)
There are two trails from the south rim that go down into the canyon (and all the way to the canyon floor, which is a strenuous multi-day hike). You can experience a taste of it, by turning around at any point.
  • South Kaibab Trail - One of the top rated trails for the GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
  • Bright Angel Trail - Also one of the top rated trails for GC (trail descends into the canyon, uphill climb on return)
There are also trails along the south rim (called Rim Trails) that don't descend into the canyon, and are relatively flat. These offer views of the canyon and are dotted with various scenic viewpoints. Some areas of the rim trail are paved others are not. These may be more suitable those with young children or those fear of hiking near the edge of the canyon cliffs. The National park shuttle buses also transport passengers to various points within the park, along the south rim.
A PDF map of grand canyon national park south rim is at https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf
Grand Canyon National Park Lodges

Nearby attractions outside the National Park include:
  • Skywalk
  • Bearizona Wildlife Park - Williams, AZ

Page AZ
Lake Powell (popular lake for boating, with kayak, motor boat, pontoon boat, houseboat rentals, Jetski, boat tours, and swimming). Lake and surrounding canyon walls are uniquely scenic together (it's actually a huge artificial reservoir surrounded by canyon walls, resulting from the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam
Carl Hayden Visitor Center at the Glen Canyon Dam (Free museum about the Glen Canyon Dam)
Horseshoe bend (popular scenic overlook of a 180 degree bend in the Colorado river)
Antelope Canyon (beautiful slot canyons with stunning photography opportunity, controlled by Native Americans with entrance fees and guided tour, advance reservations are needed. Fees were recently increased to $60-$100/pp)

Tucson

Saguaro National Park

Kosher Restaurants

See the following for up to date info:
--http://www.kosherphoenix.org/index.php/kosher-food-in-phoenix/restaurants/
--https://www.ahavastorah.org/restaurants.html 

Phoenix

Cafe Chenar
LaBella Pizzeria and Restaurant
Manhattan Pizza & Subs
Samarkand Restaurant Glatt Kosher

Scottsdale

Fresh Mint
Kitchen 18
Milk+ Honey Espresso Bar & Eatery

Groceries

Imperial Market & Deli

Shuls

Ohr Hatorah Congregation- Located in Phoenix Map
Chabad Jewish Center of North Phoenix Map
Ahavas Torah:The Scottsdale Torah Center Map

Chabad of Flagstaff AZ (Kosher meals available), Minyanim in the summer and chol hamoed (1 hour south of the Grand Canyon National Park)

« Last edited by Yr18 on October 02, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »

Author Topic: Arizona Master Thread  (Read 381426 times)

Offline Chuck2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United, Hertz, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC
Re: Arizona Master Thread
« Reply #980 on: June 29, 2020, 07:28:04 PM »
I was told that the Peek-a-boo canyon in Kanab, UT is most similiar to Antelope Canyon and is an hour away from Page.
Peek-a-boo canyon is 4 hours away. I don't want to drive that far. I will be driving back from the Page area and want to do something within no more than an hour north of Page (or somewhere south) and than head south to Phoenix. I will be going to horseshoe bend the day before
:-)

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 29, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
Peek-a-boo canyon is 4 hours away. I don't want to drive that far. I will be driving back from the Page area and want to do something within no more than an hour north of Page (or somewhere south) and than head south to Phoenix. I will be going to horseshoe bend the day before

Red Canyon aka Peek-A-Boo Canyon (not to be confused with Peek-A-Boo Canyon near Escalante, UT!) It is 1 hour from Page, AZ.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 21, 2020, 10:50:35 AM »
What Dawie said. Just because you can drive a lot, doesn't mean you should, or that you will enjoy it - especially in 100+ degree weather. Trust me, I have driven from Kansas City to Badlands NP in a day, as well as from Houston to Carlsbad Caverns NP - 650 miles apiece, so I have no problem doing it when it's necessary. But in your case, it's totally unnecessary. Spend a couple days amongst the attractions, then head back to Mesa when you're done. You'll thank us when you get back, and your kids will thank us even more!

Thank you @Traveler718 and @Dawie for talking some sense into me and making our trip unforgettable!  We ended up staying in Yavapai Lodge for one night, walking around the rim then watching sunset and seeing the stars at night, watching the sunrise and then hiking down the SK trail and back before 10 am!

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 27, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
Wow! I just finished reading through all 66 pages of this thread and I'm blown away by the willingness of DDFrs to help each other!

I've made a large excel spreadsheet and 10 pages of google docs based on the info.

If anyone wants a link feel free to pm.

Still working on organizing into itinerary for a 2 week trip so I may have some more questions.
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 30, 2020, 03:55:39 PM »
1) Has anyone bought the National Park Pass? Is it worthwhile?

2) I am looking to borrow a few basic kitchen supplies: Frying pans, Crock pot, sharp knives and a cooler for around 2 weeks. Any leads are appreciated.
H/t PinchosL

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 30, 2020, 04:56:49 PM »
We've bought it a couple times when we had plans to visit a few NPs in a year. Definitely paid off for us.

2) I am looking to borrow a few basic kitchen supplies: Frying pans, Crock pot, sharp knives and a cooler for around 2 weeks. Any leads are appreciated.
You want to borrow all this in Arizona? Or your want to borrow where you live and bring it?  Aside from Kashrus questions, those things get damaged during travel, and may cost you less in the long run to buy your own, especially if there's a chance you'll want to use it all again.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 30, 2020, 05:10:39 PM »
We've bought it a couple times when we had plans to visit a few NPs in a year. Definitely paid off for us.

Do you have any experience picking them up from a NP office. I waited to close to my trip top order with the Covid Backlog.

You want to borrow all this in Arizona? Or your want to borrow where you live and bring it?  Aside from Kashrus questions, those things get damaged during travel, and may cost you less in the long run to buy your own, especially if there's a chance you'll want to use it all again.
I was considering borrowing it in AZ to avoid flying with it all.

Damage during travel shouldnt be am issue as we are staying in one Airbnb for the duration.

As of now we are planning on buying everything at Walmart in Phoenix and throwing it out when we leave but that feels like Baal Tashchis.  I would be happy to start a gemach with these items, leaving them in the hands of a local Rav, etc who can lend them out at his discretion. Hundreds of frum people visit there every year and throw away all these things.
H/t PinchosL

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 30, 2020, 05:38:29 PM »

Do you have any experience picking them up from a NP office. I waited to close to my trip top order with the Covid Backlog.
I was considering borrowing it in AZ to avoid flying with it all.

Damage during travel shouldnt be am issue as we are staying in one Airbnb for the duration.

As of now we are planning on buying everything at Walmart in Phoenix and throwing it out when we leave but that feels like Baal Tashchis.  I would be happy to start a gemach with these items, leaving them in the hands of a local Rav, etc who can lend them out at his discretion. Hundreds of frum people visit there every year and throw away all these things.
I'm sure there is enough Jews to find someone who is willing to do that....Did you have someone in mind or I wonder if office@ahavastorah.org would be able to help.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 30, 2020, 06:19:38 PM »

I bought one at the reguler front entrance gate.
You should check with the one your heading to.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 30, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »

I have only bought them at the gates to NP's.
Except this year though. At the gate to GC they requested admission payment and I told them I wanted to buy the pass - which they had no capability to sell at the moment for some Covid reason - so they just let me through.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: July 30, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »
Have had one since 2016.
If you are going to visit 3/4 parks over the course of the year, it is worth it.
I have always bought them at the entrance to the park (including this year).

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 06, 2020, 06:09:21 AM »
How do you navigate to Trailheads for Hikes?
It took 3 tries and an hour of circling  to get to the Camelback hike after Google Maps repeatedly mislead us....
H/t PinchosL

Offline OMG!

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:24 AM »
How do you navigate to Trailheads for Hikes?
It took 3 tries and an hour of circling  to get to the Camelback hike after Google Maps repeatedly mislead us....

Download the "AllTrails" app.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 07, 2020, 02:23:59 AM »

Download the "AllTrails" app.
Thanks for the tip! Seems like its imperative to look arta satelite map and call a ranger of available
H/t PinchosL

Offline Mikes@Micro

• View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:16 PM »
The Grand Canyon was amazing today! Thanks for all your help. Stay tuned for TR!

Some quick pics from my phone. IYH I'll find time to edit and post.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:18:58 PM by Mikes@Micro »
H/t PinchosL

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 07, 2020, 03:31:02 PM »
The Grand Canyon was amazing today! Thanks for all your help. Stay tuned for TR!

Some quick pics from my phone. IYH I'll find time to edit and post.

Beautiful.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip for next week. Here is my schedule, let me know if it makes sense. Me and DW are not hikers and we'll probably only do the easy stuff. If you can reccomend easier hikes, we'll definitely listen!

Sunday - Fly in to LAS, walk around see the strip
Monday - Do Valley of Fire National Park
Tuesday - Drive to GC South Rim with stops at Hoover Dam, Historic Chloride (worth it?) and sleep at GC Village
Wednesday - GC South Rim then drive to Sedona
Thursday - Do Sedona hikes and maybe the jeep tour (worth it?) drive to where we'll be for Shabbos

We're still debating where to be for Shabbos. I want something beautiful, but obviously priced well. I have points avail / willing to pay for cert etc. I'm open to recommendations.

I did find a beautiful house with a private pool that is available for 40,000 UR a night. But it doesn't have the views.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip for next week. Here is my schedule, let me know if it makes sense. Me and DW are not hikers and we'll probably only do the easy stuff. If you can reccomend easier hikes, we'll definitely listen!

Sunday - Fly in to LAS, walk around see the strip
Monday - Do Valley of Fire National Park
Tuesday - Drive to GC South Rim with stops at Hoover Dam, Historic Chloride (worth it?) and sleep at GC Village
Wednesday - GC South Rim then drive to Sedona
Thursday - Do Sedona hikes and maybe the jeep tour (worth it?) drive to where we'll be for Shabbos

We're still debating where to be for Shabbos. I want something beautiful, but obviously priced well. I have points avail / willing to pay for cert etc. I'm open to recommendations.

I did find a beautiful house with a private pool that is available for 40,000 UR a night. But it doesn't have the views.

Valley Of Fire State Park.

Offline ygygold

• View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 03, 2020, 10:48:03 AM »

Valley Of Fire State Park.

So besides that, everything ok? I'm really looking for input

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 03, 2020, 10:55:21 AM »
So besides that, everything ok? I'm really looking for input
Do the Broken Arrow tour with Pink Jeep.  We had a great time. Also, Flagstaff is a good place for Shabbos, has a Chabad.  If you have time, Meteor Crater and Petrified Forest NP.  Arrive early at the Hoover Dam so you can do the better tour, perhaps you can buy online.
44/50, 46/63