Author Topic: Miles Transfer issue - please help  (Read 810 times)

Offline redcherrygoose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Miles Transfer issue - please help
« on: June 13, 2023, 01:04:27 PM »
Long time lurker here. I messed up big time and don't know where else to turn to for advice.
I transferred 400K UR points to my United mileage plus account for a united booking from nyc-tlv.
I assumed the redemption would be same if not better through united but upon trying to book, UR was showing 265K for 4 travelers, and United 323K points for the same exact flight which was in dollars was the same price. So basically, I'm losing 60K points.

I don't know what to do. I called United mileage and told them id like to transfer back to chase UR and they said they cannot. I called Chase and they said they cannot undo it.

Should i try calling them back and claim that I don't know who did it or is there any other legit way to get my miles back into my UR account.

It's crazy to me that I would get screwed like this thinking that it would benefit me to use united directly to book it.

I forgot to mention that this is through the unitedclub infinite card which costs me another 600 a year. not sure if that will make a difference.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Re: Miles Transfer issue - please help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 01:16:05 PM »
Points transfers are final with most (probably all) banks and airlines, and most of the banks have very clear warnings of that on the transfer page.

Aside from any other issues with lying to say it was fraudulent, you may very well dig yourself deeper into a hole. Presumably the first thing they’d look at is the name on your United account. Then either they’ve caught your lie, or if you continue to claim it was fraudulent, I’d be wary of UA shutting you down (as they probably should, if your transfer was fraudulent).

I’d consider it a lesson learned the hard way.

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 01:17:10 PM »
Points can't go back. Chase and United have different ways of using points.

Offline redcherrygoose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 01:49:16 PM »
thanks. looks like im screwed and lesson learned. i should have checked all options beforehand.....def an idiot moment.   

Offline Gvann

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 03:22:55 PM »
Long time lurker here. I messed up big time and don't know where else to turn to for advice.
I transferred 400K UR points to my United mileage plus account for a united booking from nyc-tlv.
I assumed the redemption would be same if not better through united but upon trying to book, UR was showing 265K for 4 travelers, and United 323K points for the same exact flight which was in dollars was the same price. So basically, I'm losing 60K points.

I don't know what to do. I called United mileage and told them id like to transfer back to chase UR and they said they cannot. I called Chase and they said they cannot undo it.

Should i try calling them back and claim that I don't know who did it or is there any other legit way to get my miles back into my UR account.

It's crazy to me that I would get screwed like this thinking that it would benefit me to use united directly to book it.

I forgot to mention that this is through the unitedclub infinite card which costs me another 600 a year. not sure if that will make a difference.

Anyways if you’re a long time lurker, even a short time lurker would see @Dan ‘s rants about united raising rates so it should have been a big importance to check before transferring.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 04:38:56 PM »
thanks. looks like im screwed and lesson learned. i should have checked all options beforehand.....def an idiot moment.   
We all make mistakes once or twice in this game.

If it makes you feel better, here’s a thread full of those mistakes: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=33898.1200

Offline redcherrygoose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:33:44 PM »
figure id add a reply to update. i ended up calling ur and telling them i made a typo when entering in the miles transfer. they said it should be no problem but may take a few business days, so let's see what happens. fingers crossed here

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »
I hope you get to reverse the transfer.

would he be able to get a better points "price" from united? or get bonus points as a "one time courtesy"? If he tells them about it being cheaper if he used Chase?

You can certainly ask for a refund of your annual fee, since United cost you more points.  The AF saved would be similar to the extra miles used.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: Pesach
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 06:42:25 PM »
figure id add a reply to update. i ended up calling ur and telling them i made a typo when entering in the miles transfer. they said it should be no problem but may take a few business days, so let's see what happens. fingers crossed here

Bold of you to admit to lying on a public forum. Not even sure what that means a typo considering you click on united to transfer in points, and what are the odds you typed in a wrong account number that also had the name @redcherrygoose on it.

But good for you if chase fell for that, I guess that’s why we have indians as customer service reps.

Offline redcherrygoose

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 07:21:26 PM »
I hope you get to reverse the transfer.

would he be able to get a better points "price" from united? or get bonus points as a "one time courtesy"? If he tells them about it being cheaper if he used Chase?

You can certainly ask for a refund of your annual fee, since United cost you more points.  The AF saved would be similar to the extra miles used.

i def did call united first and asked if there was anything that they could offer or do since it was absurdly ridiculous.
i highly doubt the waiver of the af but if this doesnt work ill try that.

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 07:51:42 PM »
Bold of you to admit to lying on a public forum. Not even sure what that means a typo considering you click on united to transfer in points, and what are the odds you typed in a wrong account number that also had the name @redcherrygoose on it.

But good for you if chase fell for that, I guess that’s why we have indians as customer service reps.
bold of u to call ppl indians on a public forum  8)