Topic Wiki

https://digital.weather.gov/
Click on the 2nd dropdown menu on the top left Sky Cover (%)

« Last edited by username on April 04, 2024, 12:43:34 PM »

Poll

Are you...

Flying to totality
11 (12.6%)
Driving to totality
22 (25.3%)
Staying home with totality
4 (4.6%)
Staying home with partial
45 (51.7%)
Not sure yet
5 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse North America April 8 2024  (Read 35653 times)

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Total Solar Eclipse North America April 8 2024
« Reply #600 on: April 10, 2024, 08:50:37 PM »
What I learned….

Don’t for follow the highway signs and leave right away after the eclipse

I went to near Newport Vermont I left right after the eclipse and the way took me about 6 hours to Monsey my friends hung around for a another hour and it took over 10 hours
If you like my post give me a like!

Online jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 10, 2024, 09:49:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheMaineWire/status/1778095135689003102

Probably won’t be an issue by 2044….

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 10, 2024, 09:56:24 PM »
Mini TR:

I own a property in McKinney, TX which I visit on a monthly basis. I scheduled my trip in December when I first saw something about the eclipse as a “coming in 2024 event” to coincide with a standard business trip. Booking then, travel costs were very much in line with standard rates, didn’t even find it worth it to use points.

Flew to Dallas Sunday night and slept at the Westin Galleria, my usual haunt in the Jewish area.

Monday morning woke up to a solid cloud soup in the sky, and kinda made peace with the fact it would be only work, no pleasure. 8 am Sachris at the Kollel was jammed, and they had a full breakfast thereafter. There were tens of visitors and we all complained about the clouds together. They gave out Kollel branded eclipse glasses which I thought was kind of cute, but totally useless now.

I drove out to my property and sat with the staff until 11:30am. Kept looking at the sky, but nada. It seemed to just keep on getting worse, and all the weather apps and sites confirmed the same.

At that point I remembered Dans comment about getting to “as close to the blue line as possible”. So I started driving along Highway 380 eastbound towards Sulphur Springs, and hoping that maybe there the clouds were less and I would be able to see something. Lo and behold, as I drove the sky started clearing more and more and I was able to get glimpses of the sun. My flight back was at 4:35pm and I had real anxiety about traffic back to Dallas after the event, so I made up that I would stop short of Sulphur Springs at the a convenient spot beyond the clouds.

In all the little towns I passed through, folks were all staring at the sky and lounging around. The streets were empty, no traffic at any point. I finally got to an exit for Campbell, TX where I pulled off into a truck stop where 4 other cars were already parked and folks sitting around staring at the sun. One of them was a family who said they had flown in from Kosovo! I got my eclipse glasses on, and this being 1:15ish we were already a nice ways along. By now the clouds had basically disappeared, and the heat we usually feel in Texas was dropping rapidly. I couldn’t get any decent pictures using my iPhone (14pro) so I just gave up and focused on the sun.

Totally was unbelievable, and is a memory that will forever be etched in my mind. While it didn’t get as dark as I thought it would (I was thinking of the Tintin strip) it felt like a Bnei Brak shkiah - super fast and super cooling. I got chills, that’s how cold it got! The rings around the sun were vividly jumping, and for 4+ minutes straight I enjoyed every second.

Thinking of my flight and the traffic, I jumped into my car at 1:48 sharp and floored it to DFW. I didn’t have a drop of traffic on the way, so 20 minutes out I called Aderet to order a quick Schwarma for the ride. (It’s only a 3 minute detour off the highway). I made it to the airport at 3:15, waited 10 minutes for the rental car shuttle, and 10 minutes at TSA pre, and was at gate 40 minutes before boarding. We boarded on time, pushed back and took off early, and landed 35 minutes ahead of schedule in PHL. I told my wife I wouldn’t be home before 10:30pm, the shock on their faces when I walked in at 9:36pm!

I’m really happy with how it turned out, no agmas nefesh beyond the clouds Monday morning. Lesson for next time- get the right camera!

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 10, 2024, 10:22:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/TheMaineWire/status/1778095135689003102

Probably won’t be an issue by 2044….
I didn't have any issues, although I wouldn't recommend it for an EV novice.

We left Monsey at 9AM with ~90% charge, made a stop at the Gansevoort supercharger at around 11:30. There were few stalls open, but by the time I left there were a few cars waiting. I continued on toward my target destination of Lewis, NY, I had more than enough charge to get there but was worried about the way back so I decided to check out the North Hudson supercharger since I had a little bit of extra time. I probably got there around 1:40. I had to wait probably 10 minutes for a charger but ended up staying until I got to 99% since I was able to catch a minyan for mincha.

By the time we left it was getting a little tight to get to Lewis, considering I still needed to find a spot, so around 2:30 we opted to get off at Exit 30 instead of Exit 32. We found a spot right near I87, and high-tailed it as soon as totality was over.

Although the car was telling me to stop to charge in Malta, I wanted to stay ahead of the traffic so I drove straight for 2:36 until the New Paltz supercharger at an average speed of 69mph. We got back to my in-laws in Monsey at 7:18.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Bookish

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 11, 2024, 11:26:17 AM »
https://x.com/_ZachGriff/status/1777723776895255006
"With fares starting at $699 in economy and climbing to over $1,299 for first class, I would've expected an amazing view of totality from 30k feet.

After all, how much better could it be seeing the eclipse from above the clouds that covered Austin on Monday morning?

What I got instead was a momentary glimpse of the action (along with a strained neck from contorting myself into an ideal configuration to see the eclipse)."

Well, duh? That's what happens when TPG does something vs Dan'sDeals.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #606 on: April 11, 2024, 11:33:26 AM »
"With fares starting at $699 in economy and climbing to over $1,299 for first class, I would've expected an amazing view of totality from 30k feet.

After all, how much better could it be seeing the eclipse from above the clouds that covered Austin on Monday morning?

What I got instead was a momentary glimpse of the action (along with a strained neck from contorting myself into an ideal configuration to see the eclipse)."

Well, duh? That's what happens when TPG does something vs Dan'sDeals.
With 7.4mm views on the tweet, he's very happy right now, I am sure.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 11, 2024, 02:21:14 PM »
Mistakenly assumed that partial and totality can't be all that different....(yes I know, it was discussed several times prior to the Eclipse that they are very different....)

Having major FOMO (can that be said in past tense?) that I missed out on totality.... Will have to catch the next one.

ETA: If anyone is reading this in 2044, don't be like Jack, Jack didn't see totality, and had a very underwhelming experience in NJ with a partial eclipse, GO SEE TOTALITY! ;D
My first mention on DDMS is me saying I'm an idiot  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 11, 2024, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #611 on: April 11, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 11, 2024, 03:10:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1778500039200878768
What a way to write "TPG does not use his brain, or uses it to dupe people and take advantage of them to make money".

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 11, 2024, 04:01:12 PM »
i would have been more detailed if I knew I would be linked lol

were they cumulus or cirrus clouds?
I also thought this is a mistake. Cumulus are the ones lower. cirrus is higher and thinner.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 11, 2024, 04:20:07 PM »
i would have been more detailed if I knew I would be linked lol

were they cumulus or cirrus clouds?
Fixed, thanks

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 11, 2024, 04:34:23 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/trip-notes/looking-heavens-2024-total-solar-eclipse-experience/
Great piece. But you forgot to write the reason why you can always rely on @Something Fishy for pictures - because he doesn't have to worry about cloud cover.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 11, 2024, 05:57:09 PM »
Was anyone in dallas? was it cloudy?

We went to Dallas. It was touch and go in the morning but b"h it cleared up just in time, with spectacular views. Mini TR in the Dallas master thread. Now my kids want to move out there.  :D

Offline mme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 11, 2024, 10:59:06 PM »
It was also cool to park next to a fence that marked the Canadian border, literally as far north as we could go without needing passports. Only sorry that I missed out on meeting @awardflyer in Derby, and @cgr and @Aerial Dag in Newport!

I would have been cool to meet the you and the others in Derby!
We originally had flight to Dallas but we calced on Friday after seeing the forecasts.
Left BP 4:45 passed Monsey to pick up a friend. We were deciding between Burlington or Newport, in the end we decided to head up to be safe. Once near Newport we wanted to visit the Haskell Free Library and Opera House
 that is between the US and Canadian border but it was closed.
We stopped at a rest area of the I-91 and enjoyed the amazing experience we left right after totality to catch as much road before traffic. in the end we arrived in Monsey 11:30 pm so we were lucky to bypass most of the traffic. we dove a lot on the 5 so that helped.
All in all the experience was amazing and I would do it again any day!
Thank you @Dan and @jj1000 for promoting it this much!

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2024, 01:34:40 AM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/trip-notes/looking-heavens-2024-total-solar-eclipse-experience/

Great recap, and pleasantly surprised to see my posts linked. In the comments someone mentions that they saw Venus, is that the star I thought I was seeing in the bottom right below? Googling it was difficult but I did see mention of it.

Visibly Jewish