Author Topic: Honeymoon in Indonesia (with a side of Singapore)  (Read 11106 times)

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Honeymoon in Indonesia (with a side of Singapore)
« on: July 05, 2023, 03:25:54 PM »
Introductory points:
-   This trip report (and trip!) is different than my usual as I BH got married a few months ago and went with my husband as opposed to my usual group of friends.
-   My husband has never really traveled before. He always expressed interest, just never had the opportunity. I certainly did not ease him into things, traveling literally across the world, but he did splendidly and enjoyed immensely.
-   Due to the nature of this being our honeymoon, we definitely left it a bit more relaxed and luxurious than usual. It was perfect for this trip, but we both agree that we’d probably be more active next time around.
-   Food: I normally bring all the food with me and meals from Seasons. I did the same this time, but with 2 game changing additions:
         - I bought the Hot Logic a few months ago and used it for the first time,  and it was amazing. It definitely took a long time to fully heat up (about 2 hours) but it was so convenient.
    - We used this new product and it was incredible! We had the box drink size cartons, which was perfect for 2 people for coffees. Definitely an amazing new product.
-   Flights: We traveled for a VERY long time. Although it is possible to get there a few hours quicker, we used points for the long flights and there was nothing better with award availability. It sounded incredibly daunting (and everyone thought we were nuts) but when all was said and done, it was really not bad and BH the flights were smooth. With all the flight craziness going on, we were just counting our blessings that we and our luggage made through all the flights in one piece.

Sunday – Tuesday:
We left JFK late Sunday night for a 13 hour flight to Abu Dhabi. After an almost 3 hour stopover, we then continued on with a 7.5 hour flight to Singapore. We had another 2.5 hour stopover and then flew our final flight of just under 3 hours to FINALLY land in Denpasar, Bali on Tuesday Afternoon.
We drove to our hotel in Ubud, which was about 45 minutes away.
We stayed in The Samaya Ubud, for the first few days and it was a hidden gem! It’s located in the countryside next to a spring. Each villa has a private pool and the villa itself is spacious and beautiful.
We got upgraded to the Hill View Villa, which afforded us amazing views of the jungle and rice terraces. They have fabulous service and have a free shuttle to town a few times a day.
We spent the rest of Tuesday relaxing and enjoying the villa and pool.
[/url]

Wednesday:
We had a late leisurely morning and then headed out to the town.
We wandered around for hours and explored the Ubud Art Market, which has vendors selling a variety of goods by locals.

We then wandered around and found some beautiful views off the main road

[/url]

Lotus ponds at the Saraswati Temple:

Next up we visited the Campuhan Ridge Walk, which is a beautiful walk / hike.

We then took a Grab to the nearby Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary. It’s a nature reserve that has a ton of monkeys running around. Be careful what you wear and what is loose, as the monkeys will definitely jump up and grab it.

I had a bottle of hand sanitizer hanging off my purse, this monkey grabbed it and proceeded to lick from the bottle.

Thursday:
Thursday started off with a bang with a 2 AM wakeup call. We were going to hike Mt. Batur volcano, with the goal of reaching the peak for sunrise.
We were picked up from our hotel at 2:30 AM and drove about 40 minutes away to the base camp. There they served a light breakfast (we brought our own) and prepped everyone.
We then drove a bit more by car before beginning to hike up Mt. Batur. There were dozens of people hiking up with us, but we were in a group of just one other with our guide.

Our guide gave us headlamps which were crucial as it was really dark and we needed both hands.
The hike itself takes about 2 hours (we definitely could’ve done it faster but were stuck behind lines of people).
I found it harder than it’s made out to be online, but it is manageable (it’s an extremely steep incline). We reached the summit about half an hour before sunrise, at a height of 1,717 meters (5,633 feet).
I was extremely hot as we hiked up, however when we got the top it got a bit chilly (most people brought windbreakers or jackets).
We waited around for about 15 minutes for the sun to rise, while people ate breakfast, one person davened, and everyone just caught their breath. We then witnessed the most breathtaking scene as the sun rose magnificently from the clouds.

We then began our descent, which took about an hour. We took a different route than the climb up and it was steep, but not too difficult. There were so many magnificent viewpoints along the way, I could not stop snapping (it was completely dark on the way up and we could not see anything).

Most tours of Mt. Batur maybe include one other activity and return you to your hotel at around noon. I knew we’d want to do more once we were out so I customized our tour to include a few more stops.

We visited the Tegalalang Rice Terraces, which is beautiful, picturesque (and touristy) rice paddies.
They have lots of photo ops and fun things to do like ziplining. We really enjoyed our time there!

After that we went to Tegenungan Waterfalls, which a beautiful and popular waterfalls, where plenty of people were swimming and enjoying the reprieve from the scorching sun.

We then stopped at a coffee plantation for a fascinating tour and insight into the making of Luwak Coffee, as well as other coffees and teas.
Luwak is the Indonesian name for the Asian Palm Civet, a small racoon-like animal. The Luwak eats the berries and coffee beans, which then passes through its digestive tract. The beans are then defecated, gathered, washed, boiled, roasted and brewed. Although it sounds disgusting, the process yields a coffee that is delicious, much less bitter, and is one of the most expensive coffees in the world. The tour provided a step by step overview of the process and we then were given a cup of coffee to taste.
Although I never would’ve expected myself to be able to drink poop coffee, I did indeed and it was one of the most delicious, smoothest cups of coffee I’ve ever had.   
The cost is about a tenth of what it is in the US so we made sure to stock up on a bag of beans to take home with us.

We got back to our hotel at about 3:00 PM and spent a few hours relaxing in our pool and villa and resting up.

Later that night we headed out for a traditional dance performance at Ubud Palace, which happens every night from 7:30 to 9:00. The performance was very interesting to see and was very entertaining.

[/url]

Offline dfbg

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Honeymoon in Indonesia (with a side of Singapore)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 05:36:15 PM »
Gorgeous pictures. More details, pls. What airline(s)/ class/ miles redemption /did you fly. Same for hotels. Did you have to bring along a converter for the Hot Logic? Please continue, I'm already imagining our next big vacation.

Offline WhiteWolf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 06:43:56 PM »
Great TR. I always heard about that coffee!

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 09:45:41 PM »
Mazel Tov and great TR!

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 09:48:00 PM »
Wow!

2 hours for Hot logic to heat up?? Something must be wrong

Also would love to hear about flight and hotel redemption is any

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:15 PM »
mazel tov! lots of quality flight time! looking fwd to rest...
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
Gorgeous pictures. More details, pls. What airline(s)/ class/ miles redemption /did you fly. Same for hotels. Did you have to bring along a converter for the Hot Logic? Please continue, I'm already imagining our next big vacation.

Will post the award details later IH.

Regarding the Hot Logic, we brought a regular plug adaptor, no converter is necessary, and it packs up really compact and light.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 08:59:16 AM »
Wow!

2 hours for Hot logic to heat up?? Something must be wrong

Also would love to hear about flight and hotel redemption is any

It got warm after about an hour, but to get really hot it took about 2.
I actually see that @Dan just posted about it today and he also states that frozen food takes a while (though I did make sure to take out the meals hours in advance).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:03:54 AM by ponash123 »

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 10:04:55 AM »

For context: the flights and rough dates (I was being flexible but it didn't help much) I was looking at were being sold for about $6,000+ per person. I obviously was not going to spend that, so found a way to make it work using the points I had, which resulted in spending a bit more time in the air and meant that we couldn't use our points for upgrades.

I transferred 237k Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Air Canada and purchased an additional 3k Air Canada points for $3,000 CAD.
That paid for 2 economy round trip tickets from JFK to Singapore on Etihad + $514.20 CAD.
All in all, I paid 237k points plus $252.22 (US) per person to get from NY to Singapore.

I then paid in cash for the flights from SIN to DPS, which was $261.53 per person.
Flights from DPS to LBJ (upcoming installment) were paid in cash at $118.75 per person (we paid a bit more in the airport for baggage on the small flights).

For one hotel stay I used 144,920 United miles to pay for.

Everything else was paid for in cash.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
Komodo?

Offline ponash123

• View Profile

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
Splendid TR like always!

Mazel Tov on your wedding !

Kudo for drinking that coffee.

Let me guess, this Asian Palm Civet is an insomniac...

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 12:42:34 PM »
Splendid TR like always!

Mazel Tov on your wedding !

Kudo for drinking that coffee.

Let me guess, this Asian Palm Civet is an insomniac...

Thank you on both counts!

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2023, 01:19:27 PM »
Friday - Shabbos:

We spent Friday morning in the magnificent spa and grounds of the hotel. At about noonish, we sadly packed up and checked out, onto our next destination.
I booked a driver to take us to Seminyak, which is about an hour drive from Ubud.
We chose to spend Shabbos in Seminyak, as that is where Chabad is located.
We stayed in U Paasha Hotel, which was a really nice, uniquely designed, spacious hotel located about a 10 minute walk from Chabad. 

We checked in, heated up some food in the Hot Logic and walked around Seminyak for a bit.
Seminyak has a very different vibe than Ubud, which was interesting to see.
Ubud is known for its cultural heritage, beautiful jungle views, culture, arts and shopping. There is a plethora of temples, incense burning at every single door, and statues and idols every few steps.
Seminyak is located on the coast and has a much hipper, stylish, beachy vibe.
An interesting point we noticed all over Indonesia is that they have a great aesthetic and eye for design. The streets look quite run-down and decrepit, but once you step into any store, café, or hotel, they are all decorated beautifully, down to the last detail.

We enjoyed strolling around and then went back to the hotel to get ready for Shabbos.
We had a wonderful Shabbos at the Chabad and whiled away Shabbos afternoon by walking to the beach and seeing the sights and watching sunset from the hotel rooftop bar.

Sunday:

We woke up very early Sunday morning and drove to the airport for our next leg.
At 8:00 AM we boarded a quick flight to the nearby island of Flores. Indonesia is made up of more than 17,000 islands, about 6,000 of which are inhabited, so there are lots of options to chose from. Most people go to islands near Bali like Gili and Nusa Lembongan, which are beautiful and known for surfing and diving, and are just a short boat ride away from Bali.
Flores is a group of islands located in the East Nusa Tenggara province. We chose to go there mainly because of the iconic Komodo National Park, but it offers the same beautiful beaches and diving than the others do.

We landed in the small fishing town of Labuan Bajo and had a quick drive to our hotel, the beautiful Plataran Komodo Resort & Spa. Plataran is a magnificent hotel, where we once again had a private villa, this one located just steps from the ocean.
They had amazing customer service. We were greeted on arrival by a personal butler who gave us his number on Whatsapp and was available for anything we might need from housekeeping to booking activities etc.
We spent the rest of Sunday enjoying the hotel amenities, biking and boating around the property.

This was the view from our porch:

Monday:

We booked a full day tour for Monday and met our boat at the hotel jetty early in the morning. Most of the tours offer the same sort of itinerary, which takes you around to 6 stops in the area to see the sights.
We booked a private tour (this turned out to be one of the biggest expenses of the trip as we preferred a private tour for tznius reasons), which worked in our favor as we didn’t have to wait around for a large group at every stop.

We drove by boat for about an hour until we reached our first stop, Padar Island. We began hiking up to the peak, along with throngs of other people. The hike was not too long or intense, but it is steep and the sun was beating down and it was brutally hot (the hike closes at 10:00 AM for a few hours due to the heat).
The Padar Island hike has some of the most amazing and otherworldly views I have ever seen and gives a very Jurassic Park feel. When we reached the top, we drank in the views for a while and took some photos, it was absolutely incredible and words or pictures cannot capture it.
You’ll notice 3 bays in the photo, one is white sand, one is black sand (from the lava), and one is pink sand (from the coral).  All the surrounding mountains are volcanos.
Each of these sand colors is spectacular on its own, but to see them all in one place is amazing.

At the beach we saw some deer drinking seawater, which was a first!

We got back on the boat and headed to our next stop – Komodo Island (I believe most tours do the pink beach first but I requested we do Komodo Island next while we were still in our regular clothes).
Komodo National Park has been on my list for a while and I was so excited to visit. Komodo Dragons are the largest lizards on earth and they only reside here, on these few islands in Indonesia. In addition, it’s incredibly scenic, together with the other surrounding islands (all part of Komodo National Park), and is surreal to visit.
The only way to visit Komodo Island is by boat tour from Labuan Bajo, you can’t fly directly or stay there.
Our guide warned us that it’s mating season so they may not be out and visible, but I was hopeful. Sure enough as soon as we disembarked, we spotted 2 baby dragons wandering around on the beach! I knew from my research that you’re almost always guaranteed to see at least one dragon, so I wasn’t too concerned.
We bought entrance tickets, met our ranger / guide, and began our trek. We did the medium trek, which was about an hour.  We saw many interesting things like wild boars, birds, deer, and various plants and fruits that we’ve never seen before and ate off the tree. We were lucky enough to see another dragon, this one an almost grown male. 
It was an incredible experience and definitely a bucket list item!

We got back in the boat and headed just a few minutes away to our next stop, the famous Pink Beach. There are a few pink sand beaches in Komodo National Park (honestly not sure which one we visited) and they are amazing.
It’s very hard to capture the pink hue in photos, but it’s an incredible sight in real life. We put on snorkels and spent some time there admiring the incredible coral reefs and underwater life.

Our next stop was Manta Point, which is a spot where it’s likely to spot schools of Manta Rays. We looked from the boat, and then jumped in with our snorkels, but sadly, we were out of luck and did not spot any. 

We then sped over to Taka Makassar or the ‘sandy reef’, which is a tiny island in middle of the ocean. It’s a moon shaped pinkish sandbar surrounded by shallow turquoise and incredibly clear waters in every shade of blue, and it looks just otherworldly.
We swam and snorkeled here as well and it was unbelievable. We saw incredible fish and coral of every color!
I’m noticing now that we have no good photos of this area, so I am including a stock photo, but this is actually what it looked like.

Our last stop was Kanawa Island, where we spent some time on the beautfil sandy beach and snorkeled a bit more.

We were then returned to our hotel after about an hour boat ride, where we spent the rest of the evening relaxing and enjoying another beautiful sunset from the hotel jetty.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 02:38:48 PM »
Excellent TR and beautiful pics
Mazal tov

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 04:59:02 PM »
Tuesday:

We spent Tuesday morning around the hotel enjoying the premises and spa.
At about 3:00 we drove to the airport where we boarded a 5:30 PM flight back to Denpasar.  We spent the night in Novotel Bali Ngurah Rai Airport Hotel, which is located in the airport.
We spent some time walking around Denpasar and doing some shopping, and then went to sleep.

Wednesday:

We woke up early Wednesday morning and walked out of our hotel room straight into the international terminal. We then boarded a 3-hour flight to Singapore. We chose to spend the day in Singapore to break up our travels home and to get to experience a new country while we were in this part of the world.

As soon as we landed in Singapore, we got some coffee, picked up our luggage, and brought it baggage storage, which they have in every terminal. It’s worth noting that the entire airport is extremely beautiful, with flowers and amazing designs everywhere.

We then went to the see the world famous Jewel (accessible from every terminal). The Jewel is a jaw droppingly stunning space that has gardens, attractions, dining, activities, and the central cascading waterfall. It’s truly a spectacular sight to see!
The Jewel is free to visit, while paid tickets can be purchased for some additional activities. We chose to pay for admission to the hanging canopy (glass) bridge to get better views of the waterfalls (and some added fear for those of us that are afraid of heights). Fun fact, the Jewel was designed by an Israeli Architect for $1.7 billion Singapore Dollars, which is about $1.2 billion USD.

We took a Grab to the Marina Bay Sands, a beautiful and luxurious hotel and casino (incidentally also designed by the aforementioned Israeli architect).  We spent some time wandering around and admiring the design, the luxury stores and the beautiful hotel.

We then left for our lunch reservation at Aniba, a new Kosher dairy fish restaurant. We really really enjoyed our experience there. Everything we got was delicious and tasted different that the typical foods we get in the tristate area. We only had the lunch menu, so I would imagine the dinner menu is even better. We were extremely hot and tired, so it was nice to sit for a while and get a break in the middle of our long day.

Fully sated and rested, we went back to the Marina Bay Sands, this time to the SkyPark Observation Deck.  The Marina Bay Sands is comprised of 3 hotel towers, topped by the Skypark, which looks like a large skateboard and has an observation deck, some shoppes, cafes, and an infinity swimming pool just for hotel guests.
We took an elevator up to the observation deck and enjoyed the amazing panoramic views of the city.

After we had our fill of the views, we walked across the street the Gardens by the Bay, a massive nature park with several waterfront gardens. You can walk around the gardens for free, and there are a few attractions you must book and pay for.
We were exhausted and VERY hot at this point, so we chose to just walk around and see the famous Supertrees. There’s a lot to do there and we could’ve spent a few hours there had we had the time and energy.

We went back to the airport where we picked up our luggage, freshened up and changed for the next 24 hours+ of travel.
Before going to our gate we visited the Butterfly Garden in our terminal, which was really nice.

We had an uneventful flight to Abu Dhabi, and then had a 4 hour stopover there and then continued on to JFK.
Interestingly, we all went through US customs in Abu Dhabi and then landed in a domestic terminal in JFK and walked right out. I’ve never had that before and thought that was interesting.

It was a wonderful trip, hope this was helpful and am available to answer any questions!

Offline justmeha

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2023, 03:50:06 PM »
Thanks for the TR
and purchased an additional 3k Air Canada points for $3,000 CAD.

For one hotel stay I used 144,920 United miles to pay for.
I'm assuming you mean $30 cad for the points, correct?

Where do you book hotels with united miles? And how much would the hotel be otherwise with cash?

I'm also wondering how much did the komodo tour cost?

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the TR I'm assuming you mean $30 cad for the points, correct?

Where do you book hotels with united miles? And how much would the hotel be otherwise with cash?

I'm also wondering how much did the komodo tour cost?

I have no what I wrote there. I purchased 3k Aeroplan points for $105 CAD.

I never knew you could book hotels with United Miles, but apparently you can (it goes through Hotels.com) and I knew I wasn't doing anything with my United Miles for a while so I figured I'd use them. I did through the United App. I believe the cost price of the hotel would've been about $450 a night at that time.

The Komodo tour was a full day tour by speedboat. I did a private tour for tznius reasons, which was significantly more than a regular tour, but we did find a great price compared to the others I looked into.
A regular group tour costs between between $180 - $275 for 2 people. The tour we booked cost about $700 for 2.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:13 PM »
Mazel tov. Great trip report.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »
Mazel tov. Great trip report.

Thank you!