Author Topic: Use Ink Card to donate ambucycle  (Read 3237 times)

Offline LarryEngelhart

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Use Ink Card to donate ambucycle
« on: July 07, 2023, 05:18:56 PM »
We'd like to donate an Ambucycle to Magen David Adom.  They accept credit cards as a form of payment.  Is the new Ink card (100k bonus points) useable to fund a donation?

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Use Ink Card to donate ambucycle
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 05:36:04 PM »
Tizku L'mitzvos!

Offline dovy2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 10:10:05 PM »
We'd like to donate an Ambucycle to Magen David Adom.  They accept credit cards as a form of payment.  Is the new Ink card (100k bonus points) useable to fund a donation?

Kudos to you, such an amazing thing!
If you're already giving that much, you might want to reach out to them to set up a direct transfer or something like that.. this way they'll get the full amount.
(If u prefer davka credit card, then reach out and find out if they have a PayPal giving fund account, that way u can pay with cc, get points and bonuses, and they'll get the full amount (just not right away).)

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 09:37:24 AM »
Sometimes, a single line changes your attitude and, it is just the beginning.The great words by great people are short in the collection of inspirational short quotes.The hope, life, positivity, and wisdom I’ve seen and felt,will inspire you a lot.
Sometimes a concoction of meaningless words can almost hide the spam URL in the last period.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 10:06:23 AM »
Kudos to you, such an amazing thing!
If you're already giving that much, you might want to reach out to them to set up a direct transfer or something like that.. this way they'll get the full amount.
(If u prefer davka credit card, then reach out and find out if they have a PayPal giving fund account, that way u can pay with cc, get points and bonuses, and they'll get the full amount (just not right away).)
Since all threads turn into halachic arguments. I will start this one early… when giving masser on CC is the 2-3%  charge part of your donation, or only the net that actually goes to Tzedakah?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 10:21:01 AM »
Since all threads turn into halachic arguments. I will start this one early… when giving masser on CC is the 2-3%  charge part of your donation, or only the net that actually goes to Tzedakah?
Once you're asking about the end I'll ask about the beginning. Do you have to give maaser on income before tax or after tax. If after tax are there any other deductions that apply?

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
What about the marketing, overhead, and any other expense that the organization has? Where do you draw the line or what's net and what's operating expenses?

Don't get me started on the hefty commissions that the 'drivers' take >:(

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 03:14:06 PM »
Sometimes a concoction of meaningless words can almost hide the spam URL in the last period.
Now it's in your quote.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 03:24:45 PM »
Now it's in your quote.
Good point (pun is intended) I didn't think of that. I'll report to mods

Offline Young explorer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2023, 07:03:06 PM »
What about the marketing, overhead, and any other expense that the organization has? Where do you draw the line or what's net and what's operating expenses?

Don't get me started on the hefty commissions that the 'drivers' take >:(
I was once doing telemarketing for one of the big organizations, and one guy who I called told told me that he's not going to give me over the phone because I make commission  >:(, instead he's going to call in and give a donation, I was trying to explain to him that it's part of the expenses of the organization...

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2023, 07:21:53 PM »
I was once doing telemarketing for one of the big organizations, and one guy who I called told told me that he's not going to give me over the phone because I make commission  >:(, instead he's going to call in and give a donation, I was trying to explain to him that it's part of the expenses of the organization...
Is he incorrect in saying that the organization will benefit more if he made the donation directly versus via a commissioned fundraiser?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 07:25:07 PM by JMHO »

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 07:44:15 PM »
Is he incorrect in saying that the organization will benefit more if he made the donation directly versus via a commissioned fundraiser?

Yes he is. The organization benefits by its ability to hire fundraisers.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Onefishtwofish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 07:53:43 PM »
I stopped giving my cc over the phone due to tzedaka fraud. Quite a few stories of those calling for $ not for real causes or in disguise of a legit cause. I give via links.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2023, 07:55:43 PM »
Yes he is. The organization benefits by its ability to hire fundraisers.
Furthermore, this fellow was only going to donate because he was reached out to, meaning it’s now theft to deprive the fundraiser of his due and possibly demoralizing enough to dissuade this particular fundraiser from continuing.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »

You could rightfully request your commission from the org.

Offline Young explorer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2023, 08:21:40 PM »
You could rightfully request your commission from the org.
He didn't agree to share with me the amount he was giving, but my problem wasn't the commission, it was more the way @aygart put it, most organization's would have no income if not for fundraiser's, and it's not an extra expense that they can avoid, as they can't avoid the ads etc.

And your doing them a big favor making calls, and BH most people I called then, realized the chessed I was doing, and no one is really doing it for the money, at least in the regular phone donations...

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2023, 08:36:58 PM »
He didn't agree to share with me the amount he was giving, but my problem wasn't the commission, it was more the way @aygart put it, most organization's would have no income if not for fundraiser's, and it's not an extra expense that they can avoid, as they can't avoid the ads etc.

And your doing them a big favor making calls, and BH most people I called then, realized the chessed I was doing, and no one is really doing it for the money, at least in the regular phone donations...
What if 99% of funds collected went to commissions & expenses, would you still believe that since the organization nets 1%, it's ok?

What % of what you donate to an organization to be netted do you consider an acceptable ratio of charity use to expenses?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2023, 08:44:03 PM »
What if 99% of funds collected went to commissions & expenses, would you still believe that since the organization nets 1%, it's ok?

What % of what you donate to an organization to be netted do you consider an acceptable ratio of charity use to expenses?

The amount one gives is considered entirely Tzedakah regardless of commissions/expenses deducted from it. (obviously as long as it's a legitimate charity operating according to accepted norms)   

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
The amount one gives is considered entirely Tzedakah regardless of commissions/expenses deducted from it. (obviously as long as it's a legitimate charity operating according to accepted norms)
What is your accepted norms?
I'm not asking Halachic Tzedakah.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2023, 09:14:05 PM »
What is your accepted norms?

Why the need for hypotheticals now. It doesn't seem that the donor complained about the operating costs, rather he was trying to ensure 100% of his donation goes to the cause.