Author Topic: Amex Green vs Cap One Venture  (Read 722 times)

Offline Woofwoof

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amex Green vs Cap One Venture
« on: July 18, 2023, 07:50:03 PM »
Hello folks:

I would like to seek your advice and wisdom for choosing between Amex Green (now with 60k pts offer) and Cap One Venture (75k offer). I currently have: Chase Sapphire Reserve (my highest end card), Amex Bonvoy, IHG Premium Select and the lower grade version, Alaska's BoA card, Discover, and some Cap One (no annual fee) card. My spouse has: Citi's AA card, Alaska's BoA card, and Cap One Venture.

Other than the Marriott Bonvoy card, I have no Amex card or points.

I have thought about the following factors:

Amex Green:

(pros) cheap way to earn Amex points, rare offer for Green card; low-ish fee of $150; All Nippon Airways only partners with Amex; ability to use Amex Travel

(cons) All Nippon miles are highly valued but difficult to use; 60K points still insufficient for most transatlantic biz class redemptions

(questions) Possible to downgrade to a no-fee card to keep Amex points after the first year?

Cap One Venture:

(pros) low-ish fee of $95; wide list of airline partners that Chase does not associate with; two Cap One lounge vouchers annually at three airports

(cons) 75K points still insufficient for most transatlantic biz class redemptions; spouse couldn't downgrade card after year one

(questions) Possible to downgrade to a no-fee card to keep Cap One points after the second year?  My spouse uses family income to qualify. So, can she still refer me to earn a referral bonus?

I would like to pick your brilliant brains and see which card is better. I don't envision going for Amex Platinum any time soon. Thank you in advance!

Offline Pittsburgher CB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Green vs Cap One Venture
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 12:34:56 AM »
What is your 5/24? If it’s under, I would consider focusing on chase. However, if it’s over, I would choose the Amex. Great opportunity to open up your field of points while getting the best SUB to date on the card. Venture card can wait.

Offline Young explorer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 06:13:26 PM »
definitely go with the amex green
best offer ever and they usually give upgrade offers to gold/platinum (do not upgrade before you get that card on it's own, so you can get an extra SUB and the upgrade offer)

venture is not at 100k so wait for that

most people are getting pop-up on the amex for ineligible but if you dont have their card, then maybe they still trust you   ;D

Offline 1najol1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 09:26:27 PM »
(questions) Possible to downgrade to a no-fee card to keep Amex points after the first year?

The Amex green card is a charge card and actually has the lowest AF in the family so there’s no lower AF card to downgrade to. But you can also apply for the no-fee amex everyday card so even if you close the green card after the first year your points will not get lost. If your green card gets approved immediately you can apply for the everyday in the same day and it will usually be only one credit pull if both are approved on the same day.

Offline Woofwoof

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »
Thank you to you all. Got approved for Amex Green.