Author Topic: Just in time for the 9 Days - Kosher meat prices in the US to skyrocket  (Read 20389 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Kosher meat prices in the US are expected to skyrocket beginning next week. One of the reasons for the price hike appears to be increasing cattle prices in the US. According to a Feeder Cattle price chart, the price per pound of cattle meat was just around $125 in 2005 and again in 2020 as opposed to the $248/pound selling today.

Springfield Wholesale Meat, the biggest kosher meat distributor in the northeastern US, is increasing its prices accordingly.

In a message addressed to kosher foods chains, the meat distributor wrote: “Regretably, we have been informed by Solomon’s of a drastic price increase on domestic beef that will be implemented beginning this week.”

This price increase is expected to go into effect on Monday, July 24.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/374402

Offline jbkr101

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Are non-kosher meat prices skyrocketing as well? Why is it that kosher meat keeps going up and never goes down regardless of the price of feed? Domestic meat for a rib steak is between $21.99-$26.99 a pound depending on how much the store is ripping you off. 5 years ago it was $16-$18 it has only gone up never gone down

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
Are non-kosher meat prices skyrocketing as well?
Yes

Why is it that kosher meat keeps going up and never goes down regardless of the price of feed?
Because they're in the business of making money and we keep paying the inflated prices :-\

Offline monsey yid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I will boycott kosher meat for 9 days
If you like my post give me a like!

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
Starting when?

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Are non-kosher meat prices skyrocketing as well? Why is it that kosher meat keeps going up and never goes down regardless of the price of feed?
Sorry for jumping on this quote but it's something that really needs to be addressed.
This question should be asked in many frum industries, and a possible answer is that frum life with it's very specific limitations breeds monopolies like no other sector. In the shtetl every cow needed to be slaughtered, whether kosher or not, and the cost of doing so was the same regardless, with the only price difference being the chance of a treifah and even then it could be sold. Nowadays every industry, especially in food, has such a high bar of entry including manufacturing plants, product R&D for any proccesed foods, storage and quality control etc. and because the market is so small it efectively stops any competion from having a viable path to success. Moreover, since the market size is limited making a low-cost product is untenable as the way a low cost product makes profit, besides for reducing cost-of-goods, is to reach a broader market, and it isn't likely for a kosher-specific company to gain outside market share.
Just my $.02
I wish something could be done, I dont like getting upset about something and not offering a solution but I don't see any path to real change...

Offline free123cc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Sorry for jumping on this quote but it's something that really needs to be addressed.
This question should be asked in many frum industries, and a possible answer is that frum life with it's very specific limitations breeds monopolies like no other sector. In the shtetl every cow needed to be slaughtered, whether kosher or not, and the cost of doing so was the same regardless, with the only price difference being the chance of a treifah and even then it could be sold. Nowadays every industry, especially in food, has such a high bar of entry including manufacturing plants, product R&D for any proccesed foods, storage and quality control etc. and because the market is so small it efectively stops any competion from having a viable path to success. Moreover, since the market size is limited making a low-cost product is untenable as the way a low cost product makes profit, besides for reducing cost-of-goods, is to reach a broader market, and it isn't likely for a kosher-specific company to gain outside market share.
Just my $.02
I wish something could be done, I dont like getting upset about something and not offering a solution but I don't see any path to real change...

one thing ppl can do is start buyig the non hiemish brands. i recently moved oot and now do atleast 30-40% of my shopping in walmart or other non jewish stores and find lots of products with OU for much cheaper than heimish brands....

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
one thing ppl can do is start buyig the non hiemish brands. i recently moved oot and now do atleast 30-40% of my shopping in walmart or other non jewish stores and find lots of products with OU for much cheaper than heimish brands....

העיקר חסר
First you need to tell yourself that's it's all the same, the heimishe hechsherim just add their symbol blindly and it's all just a ripoff. Once you believe yourself you get to enjoy the free ride. Works for some.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
העיקר חסר
First you need to tell yourself that's it's all the same, the heimishe hechsherim just add their symbol blindly and it's all just a ripoff. Once you believe yourself you get to enjoy the free ride. Works for some.
For some that's important, others don't have an issue with OU.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
No Exgingi, don't get excited, this is just a joke. Of course he will be eating Fleishig cholent on Shabbos.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
For some that's important, others don't have an issue with OU.

If it's not an issue then they shouldn't pay the premium for it while living "in town" as well. 

A better idea for those who it is important, to become educated and ask what products are okay to buy from the national brands.

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
העיקר חסר

na im not so machmir like that, kosher is kosher....

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped

2 points here. First, you can find many of those OU products at kosher stores, and depending on the store, sometimes it's pretty competitive. Second, you're not really doing yourself any favors in the long run. That kosher store needs to make a certain amount in order to keep the lights on. By spending 30-40% of your grocery dollars elsewhere, you end up costing yourself a lot more in the long run. The kosher store will just need to raise their margins on the items you can only get from them in order to stay solvent.

Full disclosure: many here know I'm in the business. I've been on both sides of the counter, and I don't blame people for trying to save money where they can, while they can. Just trying to give a full(er) picture.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
העיקר חסר

The level of kashrus is a separate issue, and not so clear cut. There are "heimishe" hechsherim which are less reliable than the OU. IME, people comfortable buying OU generally aren't going to switch to heimishe hechsherim. Either they are following accepted practices of their community, or they don't want to know the ins-and-outs of the hashgacha world. They choose to trust the OU and live their lives.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
2 points here. First, you can find many of those OU products at kosher stores, and depending on the store, sometimes it's pretty competitive. Second, you're not really doing yourself any favors in the long run. That kosher store needs to make a certain amount in order to keep the lights on. By spending 30-40% of your grocery dollars elsewhere, you end up costing yourself a lot more in the long run. The kosher store will just need to raise their margins on the items you can only get from them in order to stay solvent.

Full disclosure: many here know I'm in the business. I've been on both sides of the counter, and I don't blame people for trying to save money where they can, while they can. Just trying to give a full(er) picture.

yes, sometimes it is pretty competitive if you are living in town. i live oot so the 1 small kosher grocery is more expensive than gourmet glatt/moishas/etc...

so your saying from a dollars/cents perspective if everyone in the small community i live in (i see everyone doing the same thing - doing all the shopping elsewhere and then whatever they couldnt find in walmart/stop&shop or the weekly meat maven order - they buy at the kosher grocery) - if everyone would shop 100% at the small kosher grocery we would end up saving money in the long run cause they can lower margins....sorry but i highly doubt it....

also the nature of business is to get whatever u can out of the costumer if they saw everyone buying 100% of their stuff in the little kosher store they would maybe maybe lower prices a little, but definetly not to the level of lakewood/brooklyn - (as someone who worked/set pricing in a wholesale distribution business that was price conscious (not food related) this is what we did every day, and then laughed about it to the bank. we blamed the 20% increase on inflation when our suppliers only went up 10% - and guess what - all our competition did the same.....).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:04:40 AM by free123cc »

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
The level of kashrus is a separate issue, and not so clear cut. There are "heimishe" hechsherim which are less reliable than the OU. IME, people comfortable buying OU generally aren't going to switch to heimishe hechsherim. Either they are following accepted practices of their community, or they don't want to know the ins-and-outs of the hashgacha world. They choose to trust the OU and live their lives.

ye i dont know so much about hechsherim. but dosent make a diff to me if the guy giving the hechsher has payos and went to the mikva or went to college and hold his wifes hand while taking a shabbos afternoon walk. kosher is kosher

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
dosent make a diff to me if the guy giving the hechsher has payos and went to the mikva or went to college and hold his wifes hand while taking a shabbos afternoon walk. kosher is kosher

ye i dont know so much about hechsherim

Obviously

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
Obviously

that is funny so ill give u a like at my own expense

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

I think that’s a pretty faulty argument. Pay inflated prices by us or we’ll just have to stick it to you some other way to make our numbers. That’s making an assumption that the stores need to exist at their current number of stores and profit margins, and simply need to to work backwards to figure out how to make those numbers work.

Ideally it should go in the other direction. Consumers should do most of their dry goods shopping at the box stores, which are often half to one third of the price on many if not most items. The savings can amount to tens of thousands of dollars a year for most families. Those who need the convenience or see the value in having a heimishe hechsher on everything short of bottled water can pay the inflated grocery store prices. If that means there isn’t enough residual business to support the 25 grocery stores in Lakewood, the stores can consolidate to adjust to demand. This would result in collective savings in the millions for consumers that can be redirected to Schar Limud or other vital needs.

Unfortunately most consumers are being taken for a ride. And it’s largely not the stores fault, it’s the distributors who have muscled their way into what is effectively a massive monopoly. With the exception of Bingo, stores are generally hostage to distributors who create the appearance of competition with brand variations that they actually control. This has allowed them to exploit the recent inflation by raising prices well above was is taking place in the non kosher industry. In the non Jewish world there is elasticity of demand. If prices of brand name items rise too high, consumers will tend to switch to generic items, putting pressure on pricing. In the Jewish world it is much harder to get consumers to change their spending habits. This allows distributes to stick it to the consumer with higher prices with impunity.

In general retail prices are sticky but it is much more pronounced in the kosher grocery scene. For example, wholesale prices of milk have tanked to under $2 a gallon. Farmers have started dumping some milk because it so cheap. In the box stores a gallon of milk has slowly edged down to between $3 and $4. In the Cholov Yisrael market prices have hardly budged at over $8 a gallon ($4 a half gallon) at many stores. Wholesale chicken cutlet, wings, and other chicken prices have tanked on the wholesale non kosher market months ago. Only recently have slightly lower prices begun to make their way into the kosher groceries.

The fact is that many dry goods such as pasta, flour, many spices, and the like are non kashrus sensitive items, and other than yoshon, you are getting virtually the same kashrus standard when you buy the Good and Gather macaroni for 99 cents at Target as buying heimishe pasta at seasons for 2.59. There definitely are some kashrus sensitive items where you are getting a superior product by buying heimish, but that still leaves hundreds if not thousands of products where the average condumer would be just fine with the store brand at a virtual fraction of the price.

Even on generic items such as fruit and vegetables the difference can be staggering; .79 Avocado and .99 mango vs over double the price at the kosher supermarket. A side of  Salmon can often be $5 a pound higher at the kosher supermarkets vs ShopRite. If enough consumers would shift their buying habits it would put pressure on distributors to stop taking the consumer for a ride.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:37:04 AM by jye »

Offline free123cc

• View Profile
just to show u a small example, i checked walmart+ shopping history...

peeled garlic - 3.18. kosher store atleast 4.99
avocado -  .78  kosher store - at least 1.49
great value pasta - .98.  kosher store - at least 1.99
hellmans mayo - 5.48. kosher store - at least 6.49. (and its even cheaper than 5.48 using s&s on amazon)
soda - 1.98. kosher store - at least 2.49 or more
ALL CEREALS - dont even get me started on the kosher stores pricing
chumus - 2.87 - kosher store - at least 3.99 or more
eggs - 3.58 for 3 dozen, kosher store - at least 1.50-2$ a dozen

yes i believe the jewish stores/distributors/whoever is taking advantage of the so called "inflation". yes, things went up, but not at this rate....