Author Topic: Is DDF Considered "Social Media"?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Is DDF Considered "Social Media"?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2023, 10:27:54 AM »
Isn't the definition of that someone that can bully restaurants and hotels into giving them comps?
No, although some influencers abuse their influence. An influencer is someone who is respected by others and they want to follow his example. Most people are influencers to some degree. The question is how much influence does someone need to have to be called an "influencer". I think that there is no hard number for that. How much money does someone need to have to be 'rich'?

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2023, 10:31:41 AM »
I was following the PP thread but once it was split I had to manually follow this thread
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2023, 10:42:04 AM »
Similar topic: Is Dan considered an 'influencer'?

How would he not be?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »
How would he not be?
+100

Being that he has always been careful about only promoting things that are worth promoting (or giving real disclaimers), when he says that something is good or that he uses something himself, many people (including myself) trust that and try it. That is a key mark of an influencer.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »
How would he not be?

במחילת כבוד האכסניא
In what way would Dan be considered an influencer? DDMS doesn't usually include his opinions and/or recommendations. On DDF, does his opinion in any discussion here carry more weight that anyone else? Do people come to DDF to hear what Dan thinks about issues? I certainly value his opinions in his areas of expertise but is that the definition of an influencer?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2023, 11:08:25 AM »
במחילת כבוד האכסניא
In what way would Dan be considered an influencer? DDMS doesn't usually include his opinions and/or recommendations. On DDF, does his opinion in any discussion here carry more weight that anyone else? Do people come to DDF to hear what Dan thinks about issues? I certainly value his opinions in his areas of expertise but is that the definition of an influencer?
-1. DDMS usually does not include his opinions, but when it does, it carries much weight. Also, I'm sure his opinions on Twitter carry weight.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2023, 11:13:47 AM »
Dan is an influencer, DDF does not have most of the negative effects of social media, regardless of how you may define it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »

במחילת כבוד האכסניא

You couldn't be more wrong on each of the points you made.

DDMS absolutely has recommendations from Dan and JJ. Aside from their straight up reviews and such on trip reports, even "generic" Amazon deals often have a line like, "this is Dan's go to..."

On DDF his comments absolutely carry more weight, and there are plenty of comments to that effect.

No matter how you define influencer, Dan and JJ will meet that definition.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2023, 11:17:42 AM »
-1. DDMS usually does not include his opinions, but when it does, it carries much weight. Also, I'm sure his opinions on Twitter carry weight.

The few and far between opinions are not enough to make someone an influencer in my mind. As far as Twitter, like you, I have been off of Twitter for awhile now and pretty much the only place where I interact with strangers online is DDF so I can't comment on that.

But more generally, I think the concept of a social media influencer is a person who has cultivated an image of themselves to the point that random people decide (consciously or subconsciously) that I want to be like that person. Respecting a person's real expertise and therefore giving weight to their opinions in those areas is something that existed long before social media.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »
What?! Who even thinks about likes?
Not you. You’ve been decrying it’s evils from the outset.

With DDF moving so far into the realm of social media with the increased emphasis on likes, perhaps a "trending" section should be added, with tabs for "posts with more than x likes today" or "topics with more than x replies in the last x hours" etc.

**FURIOUSLY TYPING RESPONSE TO HOW TERRIBLE THIS PHENOMINON IS AND HOW WE MUST GET RID OF THE NEW LIKE FEATURE**

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2023, 03:46:01 PM »
Isn't the definition of that someone that can bully restaurants and hotels into giving them comps?
To flesh this out a little more. I think that most social media influencers become influencers as a way of getting free stuff or better yet, getting paid to write about free stuff.

I didn't start DDMS to make money and we didn't join social media to get free stuff, so I don't think we fit the genre well, even if our views can influence decisions.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 04:05:18 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2023, 03:54:42 PM »
To flesh this out a little more. I think that most social media influencers become influencers as a way of getting free stuff or better yes, getting paid to write about free stuff.

I didn't start DDMS to make money and we didn't join social media to get free stuff, so I don't think we fit the genre well, even if our views can influence decisions.
So to say it in other words, Dan in not an influencer in what today's society called an influencer, but he does wield a tremendous amount of influence.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2023, 04:24:30 PM »
To rephrase: is Dan a משפיע?
;)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2023, 04:52:57 PM »
To flesh this out a little more. I think that most social media influencers become influencers as a way of getting free stuff or better yet, getting paid to write about free stuff.

There are plenty of influencers out there that are similar to you, that take their audience seriously and aren’t sell outs.

https://influencermarketinghub.com/what-is-an-influencer/

I’d say you fit the micro-influencer and blogger profiles.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2023, 04:56:10 PM »
There are plenty of influencers out there that are similar to you, that take their audience seriously and aren’t sell outs.

https://influencermarketinghub.com/what-is-an-influencer/

I’d say you fit the micro-influencer and blogger profiles.
I never said I'm unique (yuneeq?)

But when I hear the term influencer as its used today, it elicits my gag reflex. I'm not a pretty face and I'm not trying to get free stuff that I can write about without disclosing that it was free. Which is pretty much what the term means now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2023, 04:58:11 PM »

What your motivation is our how you started don't change the reality. If anything, it just makes you a better, more popular, and more trusted influencer than those who get into the game for freebies or as a career.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »
What your motivation is our how you started don't change the reality. If anything, it just makes you a better, more popular, and more trusted influencer than those who get into the game for freebies or as a career.
Reality is the problem, motivation is just a sidebar. Like social media, I object to the use of influencer, as the colloquial use of the terms doesn't match reality.

Anyway, this is all semantics. Not everything can fit into a neat pop culture term, but we're not actually arguing about anything.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2023, 05:27:17 PM »
I never said I'm unique (yuneeq?)

But when I hear the term influencer as its used today, it elicits my gag reflex. I'm not a pretty face and I'm not trying to get free stuff that I can write about without disclosing that it was free. Which is pretty much what the term means now.

Widen your definition of influencer to what it means in reality and you won’t gag. Bottom line if a business in the Jewish travel space needs to connect with a trusted influencer you will be near the top of the list. There’s nothing wrong with that, influencer as a term is not nearly as narrow as you want to make it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aishel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2023, 05:58:39 PM »
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, tik tok, etc all have algorithms that try to bring you back, keep you on the app for as long as possible, and bring controversial things to the forefront to try to get you to engage.

DDF has none of those things built into any algorithms, and you have to seek out anything new yourself. You have to actively subscribe to things you want notifications for. So I'm going to say that this is definitely not social media in the traditional sense.

I use Tapatalk, and I can't see like buttons for some reason on this forum. But I do see them on another forum I subscribe to. It's probably a setting somewhere, but it's not something I'm interested in finding regardless.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2023, 06:03:46 PM »
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, tik tok, etc all have algorithms that try to bring you back, keep you on the app for as long as possible, and bring controversial things to the forefront to try to get you to engage.
Exactly what causes its extreme toxicity.